Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Welding Classes

6K views 70 replies 32 participants last post by  BIGBEN 
#1 ·
Just looking for a little advice here. A guy at work and I where talking last night and I mentioned I wanted to go to welding school. He said his brother just graduated and it was a 15 week course and cost about $15k. The school has a 100% success rate in finding you a job right after graduation starting at least $16 an hour. I was just wondering if anyone has ever done this or if they have a better idea for welding school. Figure this would be the place to ask since there are many skilled trades people here.

#41 ·
Hey guys sorry I haven't replied. The shop I'm at has me running 4 cnc lathes by my self on 3rd shift so hardly ever any spare time (except now) and trying to get sleep at home and play with the babies. I appreciate all the advise! I was able to get on and read some posts since my first post. I was thinking about this only because I've heard good things about welding careers and its always been something I've tossed around. Just wanted a real world perspective from some of you. Only thing holding me back is income while in school. But community college night or day classes should work. I've thought about getting back in the car business Dave but I feel it's a dieing career. A customer base is getting harder and harder to maintain because no matter what you do people will shut you out if then can save even a dollar somewhere else. Hows your sisters car doing by the way????

Thanks again for all the advice guys!

#42 ·
Hey guys sorry I haven't replied. The shop I'm at has me running 4 cnc lathes by my self on 3rd shift so hardly ever any spare time (except now) and trying to get sleep at home and play with the babies. I appreciate all the advise! I was able to get on and read some posts since my first post. I was thinking about this only because I've heard good things about welding careers and its always been something I've tossed around. Just wanted a real world perspective from some of you. Only thing holding me back is income while in school. But community college night or day classes should work. I've thought about getting back in the car business Dave but I feel it's a dieing career. A customer base is getting harder and harder to maintain because no matter what you do people will shut you out if then can save even a dollar somewhere else. Hows your sisters car doing by the way????

Thanks again for all the advice guys!
Auto sales may be a dying career, but for different reasons than you specify. Car ownership is dropping among millennials, and many are predicting that with the business model of Uber and the eventual introduction of self driving cars, the 'two cars in every garage' business model of the auto industry may be on the way out.

#46 ·
How many are brand new?

Automakers don't give a shit about your broken jeeps. Unless you are buying new ones to replace them.

Lee Iacocca summed it up in an interview about the 65 Mustang, when it was revealed that the gas tank would blow just like the Pinto:

"Those Mustangs are all 40 years old now. It's time those people bought a new Mustang"

#49 ·
Pretty soon it will be illegal to drive your own car on a public highway. Personal cars will only be allowed to be drive in designated areas. This will go away once flying cars are produced, but then the time will be limited because they will quit maintaining all the roadways. This is my theory and I am rite.

#60 ·
All I know is I'll never buy a new ford. My 2009 f150 is rotted out, power steering pump leaks, had to put ball joints on (normal wear I think). Just very disappointed with the quality of it. Rust holes the size of my fist in the rocker panels is unacceptable to me on a vehicle that old.

#66 ·
AJ will likely keep looking for the next best thing that is going to make him a millionaire, never stick around long enough to work into that, or take the time to invest in himself to be able to better his situation.

AJ take the time to stay where you're at and work your way into a better spot, or make the sacrifice to be dirt poor for a few years and get some sort of secondary education, be it a welders certificate, bachelor's degree, or any other useful journeyman's card, apprenticeship, etc.

But as immortal and whiterhino advised, fumbling around hoping to strike it rich isn't ever going to work, stick with something and better things in that field will come.

#71 ·
This

I used to run CNC mills, and while I liked what I did, I was going nowhere. I went back to Ferris full time and graduated from the welding program in 2012. Yep, it was rough having little money while working to keep my loans low, but now 4 years later I am in project management at a fab shop and love every minute of it. Nothing happens overnight, you have to stick with it.

#67 ·
AJ,

I graduated a 15 week welding program august of this past year, and can honestly say it was the best decision of my life. I am now happily employeed with many skills that I frequently took for granted previously, and overlooked. I absolutley love what I do, and would reccomend the school to anyone. IF you have some free time check out Industrial Arts Institute, in Onaway. Feel free to shoot me a pm. I would love to go into detail, but am unable to as I am at work right now!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.