Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

mint.com

2K views 20 replies 16 participants last post by  sumpter1 
#1 ·
Anyone use this app to keep track of bills and budgets?

I was reading a article of a Guy that used to play for the lions and is now a free agent who talks about how he stays with in a certain amount every month even though he makes 10 times what he budgets.

I am tired of the paper and pen budget type system and with computers and cell phone apps, figures I would see if anyone has used it

Rich

#2 ·
I use it but mostly to keep track of multiple accounts from different banks. The budgeting part works ok but I have a hard time keeping this separate. example- If I buy wiper blades or any auto acc from Meijer while grocery shopping it puts everything unger a grocery tab. From what I can tell you cant change the category of single items.

#6 ·
I tried it for a month or so, but without having to manually input info I ended up never looking at it. I'm using goodbudget now and like it a lot better. I'm no longer logging receipts in an excel sheet but I still have to manually input info so it forces me to keep up with my budget

#9 ·
I stop spending when I run out of money.

I have probably started and abandoned more budgets than anyone. First budget software I used was on a goddamn Timex/Sinclair 1000....

The best way to stay on a budget is marry a woman who can stay on a budget. Mine can't. If I try to start a budget, she accuses me of 'hiding money'.

#10 ·
My bank has one on their site. I like it a lot, automatically puts the transactions in the categories that they fall in. If I get oil or something at Wal-mart and it puts it under groceries I can just change it over or split it to a certain amount. Its really interesting and helpful.

#14 ·
I have it and use it once in awhile. I always make sure I sign off it when I'm finished browsing.

it is easy to leave it up and running on your smart phone if you are not careful. I"m sure that it would be easy for someone to get every bit of your financial information from it if you do that...

#15 ·
I use my phone for nothing finicial related.

If you want a budget that works hide money from yourself using separate accounts. Build up those hidden accounts then invest in secure funds that reinvest and can be added to.

Anyone who gives access to any account via app deserves to loose that money in that account. Keep your spending account set up for daily expenses low. Set up a separate bank for bills, one for savings, and another for investment. Manually keep these balances in check if your payroll will not split it up for you. Most will do 2 splits and most banks allow 2 free manual transfers a month.

My spending account is around 10% of my check. That is enough for gas, lunch, and the occasional impulse buy. Even then I rarely use any form of card at register because that security risk is not a secret. Any kind of tap system via phone is subject to being hacked. Sure you bank will call you after. But trying to prove you did not purchase the items a register over kind of deal sounds like a headache.

Giving access to what and where you have purchased items is a telemarketers wet dream. Not to mention letting theifs know exactly where you are. Maybe you have a midget with a shot gun watching the place. Maybe you have that hot mistress house sitting. But most people just leave there junk open when they are out of town secured by a lock that could be tapped or 3 shot if they do not like the looks of your door.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.