Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Wood splitting

4K views 44 replies 21 participants last post by  jeepfreak81 
#1 ·
I prefer to split wood by hand I do have a log splitter but I feel like I could use a new splitting axe.

What's the best splitting axe you have used or heard of?
I'm not worried about the price so much just would really like a nice splitting axe

#20 ·
True true..
The Gransfors Bruks wins hands down, but most people are not going to spend the $160 for it.
You can buy 4 of the Fiskars for the same price.
Break it, they send you a new one.
I've never broke one.
That said I do own the Gransfors wildlife hatchet, it is one of the finest crafted tools I own.

#21 ·
Lifetime replacement warrantees are great but it's kinda hard to split wood when the axe is being shipped. To me it's the same idea as buying a craftsman ratchet and comparing it to a snap on ratchet. Yes both have free replacement but in no way can be called equal. Chances are if you break an axe your in the woods using it and need it to be fixed quickly, not 2 weeks later. Just my opinion, but quality hand tools are worth the money if you plan on using them regularly.

#36 · (Edited)
Ebay. Six lb fireman axe. Good splitting power plus a hook/spike to flip the pieces up or roll em over. Either that or search out a good 5lb double bit.. Kelly or Collins- make sure it's an OLD one. The new ones aren't worth a fuck. If $$ isn't a worry look on the stihl website. They have awesome axes.

#42 ·
Ebay. Six lb fireman axe. Good splitting power plus a hook/spike to flip the pieces up or roll em over. Either that or search out a good 5lb double bit. Kelly or Collins. If $$ isn't a worry look on the stihl website. They have awesome axes.
I bought a Collins earlier this year, returned it the next day. It was a terrible maul.

#40 ·
I too have split wood since I was a child. We eventually got a 3 point splitter. Then I moved to my own home. I cut and split wood for my cousin, I took wood instead of pay. I moved again. Split wood by hand, again for years. Then made a splitter. It's still a lot of work. This year I was unable to put up my wood. It sucks I like doing wood- it calms me. I'm in awe of all the things trees can do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.