Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Project: 1 piece at a time, 5.3 powered 1 ton Toyota.

102K views 707 replies 66 participants last post by  greygoose 
#1 · (Edited)
This is my trailrig. 85 toyota pickup, 22re, 5sp, single 4.7 case, 5.29's, aussie front, welded rear, rear springs up front, 63" chevy springs in back.

See less See more
#160 ·
Built a skid for the ram and put together spare drive shafts today.....more things done....gonna do sand lake rock crawl and a few more local runs then off to wind rock for labor day.

#178 ·
I got a better sense for answering this question yesterday.....i am running 22re, 5 speed, single 4.7 case, 5.38's, 40" ltb's. For general wheeling there is no need for more power... i can easily spin the tires in the first 3 gears.....yesterday we did some big, soft hill climbs at bundy hill.....i tried to hold 3rd all the way up....if the hill is solid i can if i keep my foot to the floor, on the loose sandy hills i have to down shift to second towards the top or it runs out of power.

I would like more power (looking for a aluminum ls motor) but it's bot necessary to have fun.

Couple pics....will have more soon

#164 ·
Traded the 38's and some cash for a virtually new (less than 2 hours use) set of 40x16x16 LTB's.....they came mounted on stock 16x7 ford wheels, obviously the wheels are a bit narrow but i am gonna run them for a bit to see if the backspacing will work....if it will i am gonna slap some beadlocks on them to widen them a bit and call it good.

#174 ·

Working on clearancing for the tires....that's using about 5 of the 6" up travel i have.....tire just clears the inner wheel well up by the headlights.....i am gonna call it good for now....gaining more would require major surgery that i don't want to do right now.

Gonna wheel it somewhere Saturday

#177 ·
Took it rocks and valleys Saturday. 5 mins into the day i pushed the brake, all 4 locked and stayed locked....wouldn't release.....finally opened the bleeders and got them released....wheeled the rest of the day without using the brakes lol.

Truck worked awesome.....the LTB's kick ass! Soooooo much better than the sx's i was running. I wheeled by myself all day as the park was basically empty.....covered alot of ground...did manage to get stuck on Big Ugly.....i slid off my line and put the front diff square on top of a big ass rock leaving both front tires in the air, then managed to pull over a tree while trying to winch out :sonicjay:....finally found a well rooted tree and was able to free myself.

Didn't get a single pic since i was alone....can't wait to go back.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.