Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

What is the best springs to run on front for flex exct?

YJ: 
2K views 14 replies 6 participants last post by  insane88yj 
#1 · (Edited)
I am building a Yj with 3/4 ton axils for now. Doing a spring over susp.
SBC 350 motor. I am using stock cherokee springs in rear. I was wondering what springs should I use up front?
As far as what works best for flex ect. I am building this as a trail rig mainly.
I was told to run rear yj springs in fornt by one person but wanted to ask on here to see what was best leaf springs to run in the front of a JY.
I'm sure this has been asked before but couldnt find it.
Thanks in advance for help.

#2 ·
In general for a leaf spring setup you want the spring to be as long and flat as possible to achieve the most flex/ wheel travel. How much do you want to modify the current setup? If you go with a much longer spring you are going to have to move at least one of the hangers and it will change your wheelbase which will then effect your steering geometry. Of coarse all that is going to change when you go SOA anyways so it might not be that big of a deal. Just make sure you set your caster angle correctly (shoot for around 4-6 degree's positive) when you weld on your new spring perches.

#3 · (Edited)
52 inch Chevy leads. If you get them from a s series the center pin is off center. Get the curved add a leads for you soa or they will warp when you remove the heavy bar from the bottom.
Not sure how they will work on a YJ but they are one of the best flexing springs you can get.

#4 · (Edited)
The chevy axils are spring over allready. I have boomrang shackels front & rear. I am running a high steer set up as well.

So S series springs up fromt work well then up front? cause I have a 95 2wd blazer out back i could robb them from. unless some one has a set out all ready cheep.

Or what elts works well or what has others used on there rigs?

I am hopin to get this figured out and start this weekend or next.

some change in wheel base doesnt matter do to I am going to with a flat fender set up. and my rear spring mounts have been moved back 6" as well. and I still have to make the drive shafts yet.

#6 ·
Sounds like Freak pretty much answered your question. Start doing some measuring and see if you can make the 52" s-series leaf work. If you can get everything to fit it sounds like your in good shape. Especially since you already have a doner vehicle.

#7 ·
Ya thats what I was going to do. that and check some other springs I have layin around. I just wanted to know what every one elts was using or if there was any spacific ones that work best. Thanks for ur help though. it gives me a start any how.
I'm just in a rush to put this together so wanted to get an exact idea in what to put under it put it together and wheel it with out any hastle.
Sory just getin impatient to start wheeling again.

#8 ·
I realize this flex is not anything crazy at all but it should be more than enough for what this Jeep will be used for. I'm running factory YJ packs spring over with one additional full length leaf in the rear. Seems to work pretty well from the testing I have done. This was when I was measuring for shocks and the only flex pictures I have right now. Apologize for the cell phone pics.

Make sure you use some type of anti-wrap bar for the rear or you will destroy your springs pretty quick. Don't ask me how i know this :teehee:

#12 ·
Any one run rear xj leafs front & rear on a YJ before? If so how did it work? I just want to get an idea on things. I would like to build and run it not do tryal & error.
I am to impaitent to do that & get fustrated easily. LOL just ask any one who knows me.
THanks to all who have given info to me.

#13 ·
many have ran the xj packs f&r on a yj. you are going to have to stretch though as the pins are off center OR move the shackle mounts if you run them flipped. I do remember on another site someone was having issues with them in the front snapping and ended up doing a bastard pack with the xj's as a base

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.