Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Bitcoin market... Don't miss out

82K views 670 replies 97 participants last post by  Jrgunn5150 
#1 · (Edited)
http://bitcoincharts.com/charts/mtgoxUSD#rg60ztgSzm1g10zm2g25zv

So far, it's been pretty f'n profitable for all. $62/coin. I'm thinking everybody should dive in deep as hell right now...

Not sure if it's too late to jump on board, or if it's just the beginning of countless millionaires who got in at ground level...

#334 ·
Not sure, haven't cashed them out yet. They might be worth $1 or $10,000 per coin when I decide to.

I've been using them to buy stuff, it's great.

I believe bitpay is making the market much more stable, and that is good. Retailers will be more likely to accept it.

Tigerdirect and Overstock were the first two large companies, I'm sure in 2014 we will see a large brick and mortar store start accepting crypto.

By the end of 2015, I wouldn't be surprised if more retailers than not were accepting it.

The list of companies accepting it each day is growing like crazy. Just today 7/11 announced all their stores in Mexico will start accepting it. Same with Starbucks in Europe.

If the USPS opens up a bitcoin exchange, it will open the flood gates for everyone to easily purchase BTC and LTC...

#336 ·
Now it's clear, the real reason that CC dropped the iPhone...

http://dealbook.nytimes.com/2014/02...p=true&_type=blogs&_php=true&_type=blogs&_r=1

Apple has taken down one of the last remaining iPhone mobile applications that allowed users to buy and sell Bitcoin.

The app, named BlockChain, had been downloaded 120,000 times, and was commonly used as a way to hold and spend Bitcoins.

BlockChain’s chief executive, Nicolas Cary, claimed on Wednesday that Apple had made the move as a pre-emptive effort to protect the mobile payment systems Apple is developing. “It’s well known that Apple is developing its own payment system,” he said. “They are building a walled garden to interfere with innovation.”

Apple declined to comment.

Other Bitcoin apps have previously come and gone from the Apple App Store.

BlockChain received an email from Apple on Wednesday evening explaining that the app “has been removed from the App Store due to an unresolved issue.”

Mr. Cary said that Apple had not contacted it previously about any issues with the app, and that the app was essentially unchanged since Apple approved it for the store two years ago.

The Wall Street Journal recently reported that Apple was stepping up its efforts to create proprietary systems that will make it possible to make payments with an iPhone.

#352 ·
Back on topic with Bitcoin. I have been watching the fall of the company that was many people's first means of trading. Mt. Gox. :(

RIP GOX!

https://www.mtgox.com/press_release_20140207.html

Statement Regarding BTC Withdrawal Delays

Tokyo - JAPAN - February 07, 2014

Dear MtGox Customers,

In our efforts to resolve the issue being encountered by various bitcoin withdrawals, it was determined that the increase in the flow of withdrawal requests has hindered our efforts on a technical level. To understand the issue thoroughly, the system needs to be in a static state.

In order for our team to resolve the withdrawal issue it is necessary for a temporarily pause on all withdrawal requests to obtain a clear technical view of the current processes.

We apologize for the sudden short notice. All bitcoin withdrawal requests will be on pause, and the withdrawals in the system will be returned to your MtGox wallet and can be reinitiated once the issue is resolved. The trading platform will perform as usual for the needs of our customers. 

Our team will resolve this problem as soon as possible and will provide an update on Monday, February 10, 2014 (JST).

We deeply apologize for the inconvenience caused, and thank you for your kind support and considerations. 

Sincerely,

The MtGox Team

#355 ·
Not only is BTC going to be fine today, but once gox either reopens to allow withdrawals, or completely closes down, BTC should skyrocket.

BTC has survived a ban from china, a ban from russia, countless exchanges being shut down, and now the failure of the most famous (but not the most popular) exchange ever. ..

All of these videos of people destroying their apple products on youtube is generating a huge ad for crypto currency. Some of those videos are receiving upwards of 20,000 views an hour.

#362 ·
#403 ·
No.

You can store BTC in blockchain (I store some there) but it is on a 3rd party server. While blockchain is thought to be secure, I still would rather keep my stuff local in an encrypted wallet. Only put as much in blockchain as you are willing to lose. While it is unlikely they are hacked, or data is stolen, it can always happen.

Litecoin QT software: (will take hours to sync the first time you run it)
https://litecoin.org/

Bitcoin QT software: (will take hours to sync the first time you run it)
https://bitcoin.org/en/choose-your-wallet

#390 ·
Bitcoin is nothing more than a house of cards fueled by speculation and imagination. Of course, some have made money through the trading of this imaginary currency, but that's only because they found another person dumb enough to buy their imaginary money for even more real money than they paid. As evidenced by the collapsing and disappearance by the largest of the bitcoin exchanges... Once people start to look behind the curtain, it's done.

Somebody bump this thread in 5 years and I will either admit my error or laugh.

#401 ·
Yes, plenty of reasons to have multiple. Look at it in normal terms like a savings account and a checking. Savings, you keep the majority in and use infrequently, possibly in cold storage like a paper wallet or an offline computer. Then a second wallet for holding a smaller amount for everyday transactions etc. Because you use it more frequently you keep less in it due to not taking on extra risk, the same as you wouldn't normally carry around 500+ dollars in cash around in your pocket all the time.

Even if you don't plan on spending any, diversifying can help limit risk especially if you are keeping them in online wallets like coinbase because even if something happens to one you don't lose everything. Most important thing is enable two factor authentication and limit risk by not enabling API keys on coinbase (Using their phone apps) if you are using it as a "savings" type wallet and holding a serious amount in it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.