Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

OBD1 Scan tool needed

2K views 16 replies 7 participants last post by  mudviper 
#1 ·
Does anyone have an OBD1 scan tool that I might be able to borrow? Have starting problems with me 95 Cutlass and can't figure it out. It has good spark and fuel pressure, but doesn't want to start.

Thanks

#2 ·
you dont need a tool just jump the two terminals next to each other on the obd port with a wire or paper clip. Then turn the key on and off 3 time the last time leaving it in the on position the last time. Then count the flashes on the check engine light. It will blink a few time then pause then blink again. Like Blink,Blink, Pause Blink,Blink,Blink and that would be 23. It will repeat the code 3 times.

#7 ·
Thanks for the advice, will check into how to check for injector pulse. I don't believe the check engine light came on when the car died on me. I tried using starting fluid, but that didn't do anything, but it is not easy to use starting fluid on the design of this engine (3.4L DOHC)

#14 ·
I'm not sure how the ignition system and injectors are fired on those, but generally, if you lose the timing belt, you will also lose 1 or both of those.
I would lift the fuel rail with the injectors still in it, and check the spray pattern (kill the ignition system first) then check compression.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.