Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#1,600 ·
It's flimsy right now because the boatside is removed again. :sonicjay: I think it's going to still be pretty stiff. The boatside ties into the middle body mount and bolts to the entire ribbon below the door opening. It also ties nicely into the body mount/ A hoop joint. The top pic shows a bolt coming up from the bottom. That's my tie in for my B hoop to frame / body mount so it's pinched back there too.

As far as taking a hit, it will certainly be better than the rocker guard that wasn't as stiff and was further out from the body giving it leverage. I'm still contemplating one more tie in to my seat mounting bar but I'm pretty much convinced it's not necessary.

#1,602 ·
Oh, me too! I don't know if I will like it or not. I'm quite used to sitting on a rock and using the rocker guard as a pivot point. I'm also sure that a couple times I may have flopped because my rocker is what kept me from going over.

Time will tell........

And yes, cutting the body is pretty scary. The directions that came with them sucked. They said to cut 2" below the door opening, then strike a 45 degree at front and back and then a straight line to cut the floor.

Well:
- the really meant 2" below the door jam indentation. I used the literal term of "door opening" and discovered I cut too high. Thankfully I still had enough meat to get the bolts in. But I'm going to cut the other side 3/8" lower.
- striking a straight line front to back to cut the floor would move the floor about 2" further than it should be in the higher area. (right under the seat) If I had done that I would have needed to add a patch plate back in.

I'm not going to button up the passenger side until I do the driver side so I can take better measurements. Not that the passenger side is bad, but I will be able to do the second side better.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.