Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

WhiteRhino's Latest Mods

Tags
meballs
317K views 2K replies 189 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 ·
Sometime late last summer I was talking to Jim about modding his jeep and it snowballed and somehow I got in the middle of it. before I knew what was going on I agreed to build his jeep over again pretty much. The goal was lots of strength and a nice cushy ride while providing clearance for 40's in the future.

The entire build/arguing/problem solving thread is here: http://www.misfitoffroad.com/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=8991&start=0

it will be completely finished and wheelable in the next couple weeks.
here are a few pictures of the build:

Attachments

See less See more
#886 ·
Update;
During the process of trying to figure out why my brake and turn signals quit working, we determined that the problem was in the steering column turn shifter switch.

Since I had a purchased a YJ tilt steering column that was the same gray color as the current gray non-tilt steering column, we decided that.... rather than tear apart the current gray non-tilt steering column to investigate the possible bad turn signal switch, that we would instead swap in the new-to-me YJ gray color tilt steering column, hoping that the turn signal switch in the new to me YJ gray color tilt steering column would solve the brake/turn signal problems.

While we were in the process of taking the old gray color steering column out and swapping in the new-to-me YJ gray color tilt steering column, we decided that at the same time, I would re-use my CHROME Grant steering WHEEL and moved it from the old gray color steering column to the YJ gray color tilt steering column.

No Chrome shifter nobs were used during this process, nor were any pictures taken during this process.

Thank you for your attentiveness. :d:

#896 ·
I was having similar issues with my signals, I too determined that my gray, non-tilt, YJ steering column was to blame, I too have decided to swap it for a gray, tilt YJ column, but no chrome will find it's way onto my Jeep, and you will be wheeling way sooner than I.

#901 ·
Jeep moved out of the garage last night under its own power. :thumb: I needed to turn it around on the hoist so we could work on the front fender wells. Johnnyj came over and we pretty much knocked out the passenger side. It ended up being 3 pieces & with what we figured out, I think the driver's side will end up being a 2 piece design. In the future (after GG & Loonie) I may go back and remake the passenger side. All in all, it's going to be nice and functional and in a matter of less than 5 minutes it can be pulled for easy access.

While John was getting started on the project, I managed to finish up my in cab winch control and get the shifter boot mounted, so those come off the list. Also figured out where the new, smaller CB will mount.

I parked the jeep next to the motorhome & found the color match is not as close as expected. No big deal since we told our paint guy that if he were to err, err towards red rather than brown.

Sure looks darker here

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.