Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

The latest project that is taking too long, a Jeep JK looking tube car

100K views 630 replies 119 participants last post by  whiterhino 
#1 · (Edited)
In the next few weeks I think I'll start updating my latest project that I have been working on for quite a while and have not been making much progress with. :finger:

I scrapped this idea after realizing it only works and looks good on a monster buggy:

I searched ls1tech.com, craigslist, ebay and GM Parts direct until I finally got all of the parts to put the L92 short block together as an LS3 looking engine that should have about the same performance as a factory LS3 until I pick another cam out and then it should be around 500 FWHP with a nice torque curve still.

I made a lot of progress and then I got my new seat and I realized I made it too small.... I took it all apart and started over and now it's a nice size.

That's how it looked last week, I made a lot of progress this weekend and it looks like something again so I'll start a build thread from this point. :thumb:

See less See more
#84 · (Edited)
havent gotten much done since the girlfriends grandmother passed away a week ago, I've been busy with that sort of thing but it's calming down now and I have had some time to snap a few pictures, clean some wheels and mount a tire...

random shot of my dads tire... this is after about a dozen runs in a year and a half, I'd say they are wearing pretty well :thumb:

lots of tires

this one didnt turn out very clear but it's my thermostat outlet that goes straight rather than left or right... should make hose routing a bit cleaner

I made a pair of these when I first started and they work great... it's like another set of hands! you use hose clamps on each end of each saddle.

Benny87 snuck in some machine time at his work and had them whip up some winch pullies that I have wanted for a while now, all the ones I have done previously were manually turned, whiterhino had a couple cnc'd at his place for his build but I cant get my hands on those very easily so Ben turned the last set... I'd like to sell them but I'm not sure who would pay $40 for one since that's about what it'll cost to make them available.

getting low on tube :(

I just had to tig these on.... mig just wouldnt look right with how nice the knuckles are.

my tube notcher

I made this a few months ago.... best tool I've made to date! I scored the anvil and X section on craigslist and the 1" thick base from a previous employer that was scrapping some fixtures.

close up of the sides.

one of the most valuable tools of the build.... I use it vertical more than normal style.

the 15 year old millermatic 150.... it's built many vehicles and trailers

tire comparison

and the coolest picture of all.... not many people believe me when I say I can touch the lugs together. they would be touching but I loose a little grip when trying to position the camera in the other hand :sonicjay:

#87 ·
looks pretty good i really don't care for the lower frame but if that's what like . it's going suck touching up paint , have fun with those tires, when will it be done were heading down to Harlan for momorial day for the southern shine crawl see how that bad boy works . today i tore mine partly down to touch up the paint and get it ready for the season . o i for got to tell you i signed up yesterday for WEROCK Matt deas is spotting adding some bumpers and BFG hooked me up 6 new 37 krawler for zero :rock:i called Big Stan for the hook up on shafts Superior's and tom at psc is going to change out my ram for a 10'' hope you make the 1st event

#94 ·
I call bullshit. :thumb:

call Coville , he couldn't be leave it either. mike is talking to BOSS snow plow about sponsoring for fuel money
well if you arent talking shit, you have 2 weeks to get ready.... good luck! :poke:

I'm trying to have it done for july 4th, if I can get it done by then I'll hit the comps after that, if not... I'll get it done when I get it done, I'm not in a hurry.

#90 ·
Love the thread title .. hate the rig.

The whole thing looks too expensive. Obviously building for more than what your average wheeler is doing. When are you going to move out of MI?

btw, if you decide to sell it in two years (about the time marriage and babies comes for you) .. can I have dibs? :nana:

#96 ·
looking good. better get on the phone bryce so you can get all that free stuff bryan has hooked up with.:sonicjay: i do know if you really want to do WE rock, get a race schedule and profile of you and the buggy in to all the manufactures. you will be surprised with the help you will receive.if you can get cost or half off it's better then nothing.i started that way with moto cross and before i new it, i was getting free bikes and tons of gear.every year if your on the manufactures sponsor list, the deals get better if you do good and promote those who help you. get back to work!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.