Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

chains oir straps?

3K views 20 replies 17 participants last post by  comanche38 
#1 ·
i have always used straps in the past, but am sick of them breaking on me. i just recently started using chains and binders. what do you guys use?

#2 ·
Straps. Never broke one yet.

There is a theory that you should use chains in the back due to a head on collision that the chains will hold up better. But, it all depends on the type/ size of the chain versus the type/ size of the strap.

It's all about the ratings & how they are utilized.

#4 ·
Straps..

The big difference is stretch. Because straps stretch, then if the load moves an inch due to a big bump, it doesn't go slack, it just has less tension. Chains have very very little length change under typical tension, so if the load moves a little, they can go slack. Maybe its only a litle bit, but it doesn't take much for a hook or binder to come undone.

#11 ·
i use two 3" straps up front and a chain and binder on the rear, i also hook a chain loosely in the front as a safety precaution in case the straps fail.........

i want to know do you guys hook to the frame pulling the susp tight to the trailor or do you hook to the axles leaving the susp loose on the truck

#15 ·
4 straps to the axles, one for each corner. Use an axle sling for each strap, so your straps don't wear on the axles. Each strap should be pulling away from the others. That way, each keeps tension on each other strap. Bumps can shift a load, so this arrangement makes sure to keep it tight.

Myself, I feel you can't be too careful. I've never had a problem in 10 years of towing my rigs, but I've seen many failures. Its a very good idea to stop after driving the few 5 miles, to check the tension on all of them (as well as the bearing, brake, and tire temps, especially if the trailer hasn't been used in a while). Then check everything each time you stop.

The only time I've had a load start to get loose, was a Honda CRX, that didn't have easy spots to tie to the suspension, so I tied to the frame shipping hook points. As the body bounces, it loosens the straps. But I caught it on my 5 mile check before it got too loose.

Another note on straps, make sure you click the ratchet handle all the way into the locked position. Some folks aren't aware that there is a lock position on them (clicked all the way closed).

#17 ·
My trailer is set up with chains. All four corners, with a racheting tightener system for each...I also stop after the first couple miles to check and re-tighten anything that loosens up. I've heard arguments for hooking to the axles and to the frame, and, with that information, I have chosen to hook to the axles. I've been hauling with this trailer for over six years now, and have never lost a load yet...(knock on wood) I have hauled with other trailers, using chains, straps, or a combination of both. I think it is most important to make sure you check your set up frequently and insure that your equiptment is in servicable condition. Don't use frayed straps or worn chains, and don't drive like a maniac and you shouldn't have any problems!

#18 ·
I use chains and binders in the factory tie down locations for short trips. Check after about a mile or two. Live on a bumpy road so if they are going to loosen up they will do it in that stretch. For long hauls for extra safty I also use a couple of straps one to my front reciever and one to the rear. Never had any isues.:thumb:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.