Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Husqvarna or Stihl chainsaw??

9K views 103 replies 56 participants last post by  pyrowaves 
#1 ·
My poulan took a dump, so I need to get another saw. Anyone with real life experience, which make is better?
I originally just bought the poulan, because it was cheap and i did not plan on cutting my own wood. Since then I have found someone that will give me all the wood I want, as long as I come and get it, so now I need a real saw.

Thanks in advance.

#73 ·
My dad has an ancient AV-15 Stihl that he finally gave up using a few years ago. Heated his house solely on wood since '77 using that saw. Two stoves always going too, so that's a ton of wood. The newer saws are build even better. Go with a Stihl.

Sent from ma fone

#74 ·
I have an MS290, 18" bar, non safety half chisel chains. I like it, starts/runs dependably, and cuts well. If I run 2-3 tanks of gas through it bucking logs, it gets heavy.

But in general, its a decent saw, no complaints. Have never modified it (no muffler modifications), I probably should...

#77 ·
I have trashed both brands of these saws because I made mistake of buying them to small to get job done. That said make sure you buy at a dealer and not a box store and they will guide you to the right size you need. Either brand you will be happy with if doing it right the first time.

#85 ·
Can't go wrong either way. If you go for a Husky get the XP series, if you go Stihl get the Pro series. Buy nice or buy twice, whichever brand you choose.

FYI, I have a 1995 Stihl 036 and love it. I've also used a buddy's Husky 262XP and it rips.....I would've taken either one in a heartbeat after using both and doing extensive research, found a deal on the Stihl, and have no regrets.

#88 ·
The 362 is a badass saw. Basically the newer better version of my old 036, which I used for about 3 hours on Sunday.....love that damn thing

#90 ·
I managed/ worked at a tree service for several years until being sold. I have used just about everything and personally own saws ranging from a sthil 026 to a husky 3120. What size saw are you looking for, or what do you plan on doing with it?

Husky/ johnsord/ and redmax are all made by the same parent company and share alot of parts and technology.

Someone mentioned dolmar they make a great saw for the money. Look for the makita badged ones.

Sthil makes a good saw as well.

I would stay away from saws sold at big box stores and get a professional saw. They tend to be lighter and more powerful than the homeowner versions.

My favorite/ most used saw is a non epa husky 346xp with 18" bar. If you combine that with a husky 372xp or sthil 460 you have a combo that will handle almost any cutting need.

If you have any questions let me know.

#94 · (Edited)
I ran a 576xp with auto tune for a year with no issues, the computer adjusts itself under load at full rpm. Also Saws are just like cars they have to break in, after a half dozen tanks of fuel it should really start running like a champ. They can also be modified if you want more power later. ;-)

I currently have a Sthil with M-tronic which is the same thing as auto tune, no issues with it either.

#97 ·
Looking for my snowblower manual I just came across my saw info.
026 bought 10/27/1990 $384.75
MS 260 bought 04/05/2004 $444.14
My 260 I do not like as well as my 026. It sometimes acts like its running out of gas even when full. But on colder days it does this less.

#100 ·
Rugger we have only sold 2 441m's. I haven't had any feed back yet. My gf's dad just bought an xp with xtorq saw it run Saturday and its doggy on the low end. It sounds fat. I told him to take it in and have them check it out. Have you guys played with the stuff on stihls yet?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.