dana 30 swap question - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Axle Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:12 AM   #1
JUSS10
4given4x4.com
 
JUSS10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Zeeland, MI
Posts: 501
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default dana 30 swap question

so i am going to pickup a dana 30 that has the gear set in it to match the axles i swapped into the rear of my cj. this dana 30 I'm picking up just has the gears and the housing which leaves me with this question: is it easier to pull the gears and swap them into the axle thats already under my frame or is it easier to pull the knuckles off the axle under the frame and put them on the new axle i am picking up? to simplify, whats easier, gear swap or knuckles swap?

thanks

Justin
JUSS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:22 AM   #2
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

If you do not know how to set up gears, do not pull the gears.

Swap the outers.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:26 AM   #3
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,087
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
If you do not know how to set up gears, do not pull the gears.

Swap the outers.
x2
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:28 AM   #4
JUSS10
4given4x4.com
 
JUSS10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Zeeland, MI
Posts: 501
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

thats what i was thinking. are the outers hard to swap?
JUSS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:37 AM   #5
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,087
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSS10 View Post
thats what i was thinking. are the outers hard to swap?
Shouldn't be.

I did this recently on a pile of Dana 30's from a YJ. So by your avatar I assume you have a cj.

All I did was remove the brakes, Tie-rods, remove the unit bearing and axleshaft as one, press out the ball joints, and then reassemble.
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #6
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSS10 View Post
thats what i was thinking. are the outers hard to swap?
Swapping outers = free.

Not knowing how to do gears = not free.


Therefore, you don't care how hard the knuckles are to swap.






(No, not hard. Should take like an hour or two depending on tools and working environment.)
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:40 AM   #7
JUSS10
4given4x4.com
 
JUSS10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Zeeland, MI
Posts: 501
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

yeah i have a scrambler im building. thanks for the info it should help.
JUSS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:45 AM   #8
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
Shouldn't be.

I did this recently on a pile of Dana 30's from a YJ. So by your avatar I assume you have a cj.

All I did was remove the brakes, Tie-rods, remove the unit bearing and axleshaft as one, press out the ball joints, and then reassemble.
CJ's don't have unit bearings and you don't have to press out ball joints. You hit the knuckle with a hammer and it all falls off on your foot. No need to do anything with tie-rods, either. If you are doing this under the vehicle, you can leave the drag link attached at both ends, also.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 08:59 AM   #9
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,087
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
CJ's don't have unit bearings and you don't have to press out ball joints. You hit the knuckle with a hammer and it all falls off on your foot. No need to do anything with tie-rods, either. If you are doing this under the vehicle, you can leave the drag link attached at both ends, also.
I understand Cj's don't have unit bearings, However I would replace the ball joints if I was he. I know the knuckle pops off with a hammer, but since you are there, and you are doing the swap why not at least make sure you have decent ball joints in it?
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:17 AM   #10
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
I understand Cj's don't have unit bearings, However I would replace the ball joints if I was he. I know the knuckle pops off with a hammer, but since you are there, and you are doing the swap why not at least make sure you have decent ball joints in it?

YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.



Because this guy was contemplating changing the gears as the primary approach to the situation. That means he was happy with the current condition of his outers, which suggests that there was nothing wrong with the ball joints currently in there.

It also makes the actual swap "not free".
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:20 AM   #11
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,087
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post


Because this guy was contemplating changing the gears as the primary approach to the situation. That means he was happy with the current condition of his outers, which suggests that there was nothing wrong with the ball joints currently in there.

It also makes the actual swap "not free".
That doesn't mean he was happy with his outers, it means he "could" be happy with his outers.
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:44 AM   #12
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
That doesn't mean he was happy with his outers
That's right. It means he is not unhappy with his outers.

I think you have a promising future as a Service Writer.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:48 AM   #13
JUSS10
4given4x4.com
 
JUSS10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Zeeland, MI
Posts: 501
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

are you guys set now? oh and the name is justin
JUSS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:50 AM   #14
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,087
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
That's right. It means he is not unhappy with his outers.

I think you have a promising future as a Service Writer.

It doesn't mean ANYTHING as he did not mention the condition of his outers (Ball joints specifically) and how he felt about them.

I will go on a hunch here and venture a guess that when he begins this swap he will find at least one bad ball joint.
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 09:54 AM   #15
JUSS10
4given4x4.com
 
JUSS10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Zeeland, MI
Posts: 501
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

well i rebuilt my axle shafts but you are correct in not having checked my ball joints. but to be on the other hand free is the idea here for the parts swap. you both have good points given the limited amount of information.
JUSS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:14 AM   #16
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 31,087
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JUSS10 View Post
well i rebuilt my axle shafts but you are correct in not having checked my ball joints. but to be on the other hand free is the idea here for the parts swap. you both have good points given the limited amount of information.
PP and I would argue just for the sake of arguing even if we had all the information and told both of us you wanted to do it a completely different route
kickstand is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2008, 10:21 AM   #17
JUSS10
4given4x4.com
 
JUSS10's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Zeeland, MI
Posts: 501
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

fair enough. but seriously, thanks for the help guys
JUSS10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Axle Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:39 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.23421 seconds with 72 queries