Christian Reform??? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #1
zook < jeep
AS-IS is AS-IS!
 
zook < jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,132
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Christian Reform???

OK, here is the scoop ...

I grew up going to church (Presbyterian) every Sunday, Sunday school, youth group, etc. I think the experiences and values were invaluable. When I moved away from home I did not go to church on my own accord and I started taking in interest in other world religions as far as philosophy, differences, etc. What I found was that Christians seemed the most judgemental and hypocrytical. Don't go getting all bent out of shape over these words ... it is just MY OPINION! God teaches us to love one another and forgive. However, why are organized religions so hell-bent (LOL!) on pointing fingers and trying to change people? My aunt is gay and my uncle's wife preaches to her all the time about changing. Why can't she be a good christian and accept her the way she is?

<steps off soapbox>

OK, so now we have a 1-year-old son and I want to expose him to religion in the form of Sunday school. However, being against "organized religion" and it's hypocritical practices, what do people think of the Christian Reform church? It seems a bit more "open" and non-judgemental.

Don't get me wrong ... I am not Aethiest or Agnostic. I believe in God and the we should treat each other with love and respect. My belief follows the general concept from the movie Stigmata. God is everywhere. You don't need to be a member of a financial organization to prove that you are faithful to him ...

Thoughts? Comments?

<flame suit on>
zook < jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 27th, 2008, 03:01 PM   #2
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

personally I support any church that practices and preaches that Jesus Christ is God and the way to heaven.

The exact denomination is the least of the concerns. The biggest concern is that the church follows the Bible, lives out the faith, and has a passion and a mission. You will know when you visit a church that is focused on the mission of Christ.

I have not specifically studied the theology of the CRC, but if they or any other church are crazy liberal and bend the scriptures to fit their needs, run.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 04:34 PM   #3
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Default

I think you are considering the people of the church over the church itself.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:10 PM   #4
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
I think you are considering the people of the church over the church itself.
yeah, with the assumption that these people find the Bible as their authority and that they do very real things to live it out. just my .02
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:19 PM   #5
zook < jeep
AS-IS is AS-IS!
 
zook < jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,132
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
I think you are considering the people of the church over the church itself.
Isn't the definition of a church the belief of the congregation? Every christian denomination has slight differences that make them unique ... If I don't believe what the congregation believes ... I'll never fit in or feel welcome.
zook < jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:25 PM   #6
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

If you don't believe in organized religion, why do you want to shove your child into that? You can teach a child morality without Christianity or any religion for that matter.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:51 PM   #7
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

mike, your jaded world view is clouding your posts. Sure, you can teach a child morality without a religion, but if believe God exists and do not teach your child the ways of God, and HIS moral code, then what good did it ultimatly do?
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook > jeep View Post
Isn't the definition of a church the belief of the congregation? Every christian denomination has slight differences that make them unique ... If I don't believe what the congregation believes ... I'll never fit in or feel welcome.
you would be surprized how quickly minor differneces become when you are united in faith in Christ, and united in service to him, and united in service to the communities in which you live. Seriously, find a church that is sound in doctrine and sound in doing what it commands. The rest of it will fade away, and you will never pay attention to any of it, because none of it matters.
Dave Kerwin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:01 PM   #9
zook < jeep
AS-IS is AS-IS!
 
zook < jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,132
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
If you don't believe in organized religion, why do you want to shove your child into that? You can teach a child morality without Christianity or any religion for that matter.
That is why I am asking about Christian Reform! I DON'T want to shove him into that ... doing my homework first!
zook < jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:03 PM   #10
zook < jeep
AS-IS is AS-IS!
 
zook < jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,132
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
you would be surprized how quickly minor differneces become when you are united in faith in Christ, and united in service to him, and united in service to the communities in which you live. Seriously, find a church that is sound in doctrine and sound in doing what it commands. The rest of it will fade away, and you will never pay attention to any of it, because none of it matters.
Easier said than done sometimes! That is where we differ! I cannot look the other way when hypocracy is concerned.
zook < jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:04 PM   #11
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If your living in Holland I wouldn't be so concerned about religion as changing my name to Vander something so everybody thinks your Dutch. lol
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:20 PM   #12
zook < jeep
AS-IS is AS-IS!
 
zook < jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,132
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

No shit! What is up with that? Everone is Vander-something-Nordelhoos ...
zook < jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #13
Smiley23
Senior Member
 
Smiley23's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-22-07
Location: MI
Posts: 2,153
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KartRacer View Post
I think you are considering the people of the church over the church itself.
The people are "The Church". It is a proper way look a a "church" to find out what your support will be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
If your living in Holland I wouldn't be so concerned about religion as changing my name to Vander something so everybody thinks your Dutch. lol
Funny that you say that .. I am sure you made the comment because "Christian Reformed" is VERY Dutch.

I was raised Baptist, Christian Reformed, Pentecostal and finally Non-Denominational. I currently do not attend - sorry.

Anyway, to answer your question. Christian Reformed is a very strict denomination in my experience. But like most denominations, you can get away with attending and staying disconnected with the denomination.

I am Dutch, my Grand parents lead a very strict life. Prayers and passages at every meal. They passed away very happily.

As a matter of fact, my grandfather knew the date he would pass away. He started planning his funeral a week in advance. Of course none of us believed him. Sure enough, he passed away in his sleep on the exact day he said.

He was very upbeat and comical during the planning. It was winter and he made the comment to lower him into the grave right away - because he didnt want to catch a cold.
Smiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:29 PM   #14
Smiley23
Senior Member
 
Smiley23's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-22-07
Location: MI
Posts: 2,153
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by zook > jeep View Post
No shit! What is up with that? Everone is Vander-something-Nordelhoos ...
Vander in Dutch means "Brother of"
Smiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 06:49 PM   #15
zook < jeep
AS-IS is AS-IS!
 
zook < jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,132
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley23 View Post
Anyway, to answer your question. Christian Reformed is a very strict denomination in my experience. But like most denominations, you can get away with attending and staying disconnected with the denomination.
Thank you! Exatly what I was looking for! I guess I need to move on from this Christian Reform thing then. I went to a non-denom back in Detroit and REALLY liked it! Now that we moved, the drive is a bit much ... LOL! Hopefully I can find a non-denom here in Holland.

Funny thing is that I liked the small town charm of Zeeland when I first moved here, but now I am glad I didn't buy a house IN Zeeland! Talk about strict and conforming! I work in Zeeland and so far my impression is that Zeelanders are "friendly" but not very "welcoming". Almost like a closed community.
zook < jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:05 PM   #16
Smiley23
Senior Member
 
Smiley23's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-22-07
Location: MI
Posts: 2,153
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

A fairly large non-denominational coverage is MFI.

BTW. I almost feel hypocritical telling you this stuff when I dont attend anymore :tonka:. Even though I should.

Church locater:

http://www.mfi-online.org/private/ch...ocator_adv.php

One of the ministries the endorse is James Dobson's Focus on the Family which is likely one of the best I have ever experienced. My wife and I went through the marriage prep course and found it extremely useful even today.
Smiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 07:42 PM   #17
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
you would be surprized how quickly minor differneces become when you are united in faith in Christ, and united in service to him, and united in service to the communities in which you live. Seriously, find a church that is sound in doctrine and sound in doing what it commands. The rest of it will fade away, and you will never pay attention to any of it, because none of it matters.
yeah, just ask the irish protestants and catholics...

mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:20 PM   #18
Mr Toes - R.I.P.
November 7, 1958 - July 22, 2011
 
Mr Toes - R.I.P.'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-29-07
Location: Belleville Mi
Posts: 4,727
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley23 View Post
The people are "The Church". It is a proper way look a a "church" to find out what your support will be.



Funny that you say that .. I am sure you made the comment because "Christian Reformed" is VERY Dutch.

I was raised Baptist, Christian Reformed, Pentecostal and finally Non-Denominational. I currently do not attend - sorry.

Anyway, to answer your question. Christian Reformed is a very strict denomination in my experience. But like most denominations, you can get away with attending and staying disconnected with the denomination.

I am Dutch, my Grand parents lead a very strict life. Prayers and passages at every meal. They passed away very happily.

As a matter of fact, my grandfather knew the date he would pass away. He started planning his funeral a week in advance. Of course none of us believed him. Sure enough, he passed away in his sleep on the exact day he said.

He was very upbeat and comical during the planning. It was winter and he made the comment to lower him into the grave right away - because he didnt want to catch a cold.
Actually the comment came from all the Vander something relations I have in Falmouth up by Lake City and Cadillac and my sister used to date a guy from Holland going to school at Hope College to be a minister he was Christian Reform. My Grandfather was a mean ass Russian that refused to admit he would ever die, in fact I suggested digging up his grave to make sure he is in there.
Mr Toes - R.I.P. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 08:40 PM   #19
Smiley23
Senior Member
 
Smiley23's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-22-07
Location: MI
Posts: 2,153
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Toes View Post
Actually the comment came from all the Vander something relations I have in Falmouth up by Lake City and Cadillac and my sister used to date a guy from Holland going to school at Hope College to be a minister he was Christian Reform. My Grandfather was a mean ass Russian that refused to admit he would ever die, in fact I suggested digging up his grave to make sure he is in there.
Smiley23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2008, 09:38 PM   #20
zook < jeep
AS-IS is AS-IS!
 
zook < jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-22-06
Location: Holland, MI
Posts: 1,132
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smiley23 View Post
A
One of the ministries the endorse is James Dobson's Focus on the Family which is likely one of the best I have ever experienced. My wife and I went through the marriage prep course and found it extremely useful even today.
No offense, but MFI just lost all credibility with me! Dobson is a hack ... a radio news show host with no theological background telling us how to live? Umm ... ok ...

He should rename his "ministry" to "Focus on James Dobson"
zook < jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.36762 seconds with 81 queries