Light wiegth Trailer - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 3rd, 2008, 12:49 PM   #81
sodapop
Support the Sport!
 
sodapop's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-11-05
Location: Harrison Twp, MI
Posts: 2,015
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdzuk View Post
off P.
When I read this I thought, "What... off P."

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
most of those pictures are coming from www.pirate4x4.com its a message board similar to this one, have you seen it?
But then UP_ROKTOY was nice enough to post his link. Thank you very much, I hadn't been there before. That site, www.pirate4x4.com is effing amazing! Looks like it's been around along time, I wonder if that's were CC got his name idea from

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdzuk View Post
If you google light weight trailers this what you get .Search Pirate and come up with something more applicable.Jeff
I tried but couldn't find nothing except people bitchin about "red stars" WTF is that all about????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
what a dick
Huh?? I think he was just trying to help me out...

















:tonka:
sodapop is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 25th, 2008, 03:08 PM   #82
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,795
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Ran across rotozuks buildup thread, which has lots of ideas:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392230

He's towing his buggy behind his 4.3 V6 Astro quite happily. Might have the pic already posted, I can't see the pics in this thread at work, due to filters, so hope this isn't useless info.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 05:27 PM   #83
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,356
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

The pics I see are a dune buggy on a T-trailer. Not the same thing.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 06:19 PM   #84
88yj
collecting parts
 
88yj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-09-06
Location: Monroe, Mi
Posts: 1,292
iTrader: (26)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 88yj
Default

Follow the thread, he doesn't build a T-trailer. It actually turns out pretty well.
88yj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 07:24 PM   #85
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
Ran across rotozuks buildup thread, which has lots of ideas:

http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?t=392230

He's towing his buggy behind his 4.3 V6 Astro quite happily. Might have the pic already posted, I can't see the pics in this thread at work, due to filters, so hope this isn't useless info.
Earlier in this thread was a pictures of his setup.
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 08:10 PM   #86
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,795
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
The pics I see are a dune buggy on a T-trailer. Not the same thing.
its the build thread for this one:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmdzuk View Post
There's good ideas in that thread, and good discussion. Its a tandem, so loading/balanace, and handling blowouts would be better than a single axle.

So, reading that thread, it towed well behind his V6 astro van. I would bet that on a standard deck 16 ft tandem, it'd be felt more. I definately like the idea of a 4000lb combined load behind a smaller tow vehicle.

How often are people blowing trailer tires, and why?

I would be interested to see how load range E 235/85/R16 highway rib truck tires would do on a trailer.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 10:37 PM   #87
Roadhouse
DrivewayJeeper
 
Roadhouse's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Sanford
Posts: 10,956
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post





I would be interested to see how load range E 235/85/R16 highway rib truck tires would do on a trailer.
could you get a 16" trailer rim?
Roadhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2008, 11:09 PM   #88
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,356
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Sorry, I did a quick scan thru only looking for the pics. My bad.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:08 AM   #89
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,795
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadhouse View Post
could you get a 16" trailer rim?
I've seen trailers use 235/85R16s before. I think 7000 lb axles are usually 8 on 6.5.

I've always had the feeling that the majority of trailer tire failures that happen are due to poor maintenence and people banging their trailers into things like curbs, fences, etc. That, and people using cheap-o tires on their trailers, $40 specials or old car tires.

I haven't ever had a tire failure, per se. I once had a tire tire lose some tread (didn't lose air, but was thumping badly) on a construction trailer (back when I worked landscape for 3 years and pulled a trailer daily). Those trailers say daily use and the tires were old. I also damaged a sidewall once pulling out of my back yard (had bought a new trailer, didn't realize it was wider than the old one, and I clipped my chain link fence). I parked the rig in the driveway and replaced it with a new once, before continuing, though.

You just don't see people blowing tires on their tow rigs all the time, so why do people have problems on their trailers? low air pressure, scuffed sidwalls, improper loading? Are truck tires tougher, or to trailer tires see more damage?

I't d be kinda cool to design the trailer to have the same bolt pattern and tire size as your tow vehicle (if possible), so you'd have spare tires that could work for either vehicle.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2008, 09:45 AM   #90
KartRacer
Blowd up
 
KartRacer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-05
Location: Riverside, MI 49084
Posts: 6,335
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to KartRacer
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar View Post
I've seen trailers use 235/85R16s before. I think 7000 lb axles are usually 8 on 6.5.

I've always had the feeling that the majority of trailer tire failures that happen are due to poor maintenence and people banging their trailers into things like curbs, fences, etc. That, and people using cheap-o tires on their trailers, $40 specials or old car tires.

I haven't ever had a tire failure, per se. I once had a tire tire lose some tread (didn't lose air, but was thumping badly) on a construction trailer (back when I worked landscape for 3 years and pulled a trailer daily). Those trailers say daily use and the tires were old. I also damaged a sidewall once pulling out of my back yard (had bought a new trailer, didn't realize it was wider than the old one, and I clipped my chain link fence). I parked the rig in the driveway and replaced it with a new once, before continuing, though.

You just don't see people blowing tires on their tow rigs all the time, so why do people have problems on their trailers? low air pressure, scuffed sidwalls, improper loading? Are truck tires tougher, or to trailer tires see more damage?

I't d be kinda cool to design the trailer to have the same bolt pattern and tire size as your tow vehicle (if possible), so you'd have spare tires that could work for either vehicle.
Dry rot.
KartRacer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 03:41 AM   #91
busyfixin
Balls Deep
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: williamsburg, MI
Posts: 3,313
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

i dont see where all these tire blowing ideas come from either, and even if the do blow all the time (i guess im just always lucky, having never blown one.) i dont see how everyone sees this as a horror storry. the trailer isnt going to do anything at all, except fall down about 6 inches on one side. you will then notice it and pull over to change it.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 28th, 2008, 08:51 AM   #92
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,795
iTrader: (58)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyfixin View Post
i dont see where all these tire blowing ideas come from either, and even if the do blow all the time (i guess im just always lucky, having never blown one.) i dont see how everyone sees this as a horror storry. the trailer isnt going to do anything at all, except fall down about 6 inches on one side. you will then notice it and pull over to change it.
Well, depends on the load, and if your tow rig is pushed to its limits.

Any time i've been in a truck when one went, it was not really noticeable, to me as a passenger, except by visually seeing it was bad in the mirror.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:19 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.22994 seconds with 57 queries