Do I have a case with interco tire? - Page 6 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Classic Threads
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Classic Threads Threads to good to lose! Now all found in one forum!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old January 8th, 2008, 08:39 AM   #101
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
If they are smaller then that, then it is false advertising.
In the Engineering world, we call that shrink rate and its just a fact of life. Measure that same tire at a different ambient temperature, and it'll be a different size. Change the material compound slightly, and it'll be a different size. The more rubber mass it has, the more the difference will be. That's why the OD's get farther and farther off as the complexity of the mold increases on the more aggressive tires. Its also the reason why you don't see such differences in the OD's that other manufacturers publish. Their tires are just not as heavy, complex, or agressive as some of STOA's designs.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:16 AM   #102
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post
This is standard practice when it comes to any tire.

Go measure any tire, take tires of different brands, all sizes, they wont be exactly the same.

Further I am sure with tires such as interco's that each batch ends up slightly different. The advertised size is probably the average of the bunch.

How many swampers have you had to send back becuase they were not round? 2 for me.

It happens, do more research before you buy the tires to understand what you are getting, realize they don't all measure up exact and deal with life.

You can't possible be right in this situation. A company is advertising an EXACT SPEC (go look at their page) and my tires were 6% off. Sorry, no matter what :chiefwoohaw: you give, you're wrong, and they are giving out totally false information.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:17 AM   #103
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
In the Engineering world, we call that shrink rate and its just a fact of life. Measure that same tire at a different ambient temperature, and it'll be a different size. Change the material compound slightly, and it'll be a different size. The more rubber mass it has, the more the difference will be. That's why the OD's get farther and farther off as the complexity of the mold increases on the more aggressive tires. Its also the reason why you don't see such differences in the OD's that other manufacturers publish. Their tires are just not as heavy, complex, or agressive as some of STOA's designs.
If thats the case, then they should have a window of sizes, or a %+/- variable in their spec pages.

The only time you see this kind of bullshit advertising is when reading poorly written jap manuals for cheap electronics.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:23 AM   #104
Mr. Beefy
BFT!
 
Mr. Beefy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-07
Location: Sault Ste. Marie
Posts: 11,292
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

So did you get new tires or still in the process?
Mr. Beefy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 11:25 AM   #105
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
If thats the case, then they should have a window of sizes, or a %+/- variable in their spec pages.
I agree, but then they'd have to admit to causing a % +/- in any given vehicle's speed.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:31 PM   #106
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
You can't possible be right in this situation. A company is advertising an EXACT SPEC (go look at their page) and my tires were 6% off. Sorry, no matter what :chiefwoohaw: you give, you're wrong, and they are giving out totally false information.

Go read what PP posted, it would be impossible due to that to give you an EXACT diameter, too many variables come into play. Rim size, temperature, manufacturing processes, air pressure, vehicle weight, etc. Before you get all huffy about that to think about it, are all 8" wheels exactly 8"? I bet not, some measure to the outside of the wheel, others measure to the inside of the bead where the rubber meets the rim, others measure from the outside of the outer bead to the inside of the inner bead, etc.

There is going to be some sort of variance. Though 6% seems excessive, maybe that is within their tolerances?

What are the chances that there IS a 37 irok like the one you purchased that IS the advertised height?

What are the chances you did a search on the subject before spending your money to realize it's a known fact?

False advertisement or not you not knowing tires are not the same as the number on the sidewall or the website is like someone not reading itrader. You should have known better and asked around. Plain and simple.

Now I do agree they should have a more factual number, but I don't think it's that easy because of all the variables involved. With that said I just spent the last 10 minutes looking for some sort of disclaimer and they don't seem to have one in regards to their advertised size. So in that aspect your right, but by being ignorant, your still wrong.

Of course in the mean time I came across this awesome ford truck and had to post it for all to see.


Last edited by kickstand; January 8th, 2008 at 12:42 PM.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:37 PM   #107
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,772
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

how is 5 weeks 2 months now
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:40 PM   #108
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
how is 5 weeks 2 months now
because I purchased the tires 17 days before I had them mounted :)
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:47 PM   #109
busyfixin
Balls Deep
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: williamsburg, MI
Posts: 3,187
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

49's and air shocks? im pretty sure they would be overheated by the time you needed that sweet swaybar. on another note, i was pretty happy to find that the 37's were real close to 36" because i know the 36's are close to 37. i needed a 35-36ish tire and wanted an irok, thankfully they make it, they just call it a 37.

as for all this exact tire size talk, it is deffinitely a lot gay. i hear enough of it in the drag racing world, where they still have this issue.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:51 PM   #110
Flexin' XJ
Senior Member
 
Flexin' XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-04-07
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 4,459
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Maybe Interco should put a disclaimer on their site stating "Due to the manufacturing process, actual tire size may differ than advertised dimension."

I should sue McDonalds for my double quarter-pounder only weighing one third of a pound. Wait, they get away with it with the "Weight measured before cooking" disclaimer.
Flexin' XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:54 PM   #111
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,772
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by busyfixin View Post
49's and air shocks? im pretty sure they would be overheated by the time you needed that sweet swaybar. .

those are triple bipass shock dummy
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:56 PM   #112
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,934
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin' XJ View Post
Maybe Interco should put a disclaimer on their site stating "Due to the manufacturing process, actual tire size may differ than advertised dimension."

I should sue McDonalds for my double quarter-pounder only weighing one third of a pound. Wait, they get away with it with the "Weight measured before cooking" disclaimer.
That's what I was looking for when I came across that sweet truck.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 12:57 PM   #113
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by UP_ROKTOY View Post

Now I do agree they should have a more factual number, but I don't think it's that easy because of all the variables involved. With that said I just spent the last 10 minutes looking for some sort of disclaimer and they don't seem to have one in regards to their advertised size. So in that aspect your right, but by being ignorant, your still wrong.
Obviously you're not in customer service or sales. I guess being ignorant means spending a thousand bucks on something that is not anywhere close to what its advertised to be. I guess I'm pretty ignorant. Thank god my employees don't have your mentality, because they sure wouldn't last long around here.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:04 PM   #114
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
I guess being ignorant means spending a thousand bucks on something that is not anywhere close to what its advertised to be.
Uh, yes?


If I told you I had a 401 (that was really a 304), which you took my word for, picked up, paid for, and left with, I think that would make you fairly ignorant. :tonka:
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #115
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PavementPounder View Post
Uh, yes?


If I told you I had a 401 (that was really a 304), which you took my word for, picked up, paid for, and left with, I think that would make you fairly ignorant. :tonka:
So yes, if I was at the tire plant to buy my tires, and I measured them there, I probably wouldn't buy them, very good point. I'll have to start purchasing everything where they are being made.

if you were a real business, and you advertised a product as "X", and I purchased it, and received "Y", you're going to fix it, or my lawyer will fix it for you :)
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:08 PM   #116
TopHeavy
Yikes!
 
TopHeavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: New Hudson, MI
Posts: 1,415
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Obviously you're not in customer service or sales. I guess being ignorant means spending a thousand bucks on something that is not anywhere close to what its advertised to be. I guess I'm pretty ignorant. Thank god my employees don't have your mentality, because they sure wouldn't last long around here.

What do you mean "not anywhere close...". They are within 6%. I wish my work was only held to a +- 6% tolerance.

:miff:
__________________
Buy My CJ7
TopHeavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:10 PM   #117
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHeavy View Post
What do you mean "not anywhere close...". They are within 6%. I wish my work was only held to a +- 6% tolerance.

:miff:
Maybe I will up all my generator stats 6% to get more sales. I know, I'll take a 250kw generator and list it as a 265kw generator. That sounds like a fine idea, and I can use up_roktoy's logic that my customers are ignorant if they buy it.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:11 PM   #118
PavementPounder
I am the law.
 
PavementPounder's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Birmingham, Michigan 48009
Posts: 29,824
iTrader: (224)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
So yes, if I was at the tire plant to buy my tires, and I measured them there, I probably wouldn't buy them, very good point. I'll have to start purchasing everything where they are being made.

if you were a real business, and you advertised a product as "X", and I purchased it, and received "Y", you're going to fix it,
Well, true - but I'd still probably laugh my ass off...


...if it was you.
PavementPounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:14 PM   #119
TopHeavy
Yikes!
 
TopHeavy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: New Hudson, MI
Posts: 1,415
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Maybe I will up all my generator stats 6% to get more sales. I know, I'll take a 250kw generator and list it as a 265kw generator. That sounds like a fine idea, and I can use up_roktoy's logic that my customers are ignorant if they buy it.
Makes sense to me.
__________________
Buy My CJ7
TopHeavy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 8th, 2008, 01:16 PM   #120
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TopHeavy View Post
Makes sense to me.
I just spoke with the owner of the BP, I informed him to dispense 94% of a gallon, but make his pumps say they dispensed a gallon. This will both reduce his net cost, as well as making his customers ignorant.

I love this, I'm going to spread the joy of screwing over people!

__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Classic Threads

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:56 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.26747 seconds with 82 queries