The greatest thing I have EVER learned in seeking God. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 16th, 2007, 04:51 PM   #1
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default The greatest thing I have EVER learned in seeking God.

The GREATEST thing I have ever learned both in seeking God and in life in general, comes in three short words: I need God.

Now don't let such a simple statement go without some consideration, after all, it truely is the greatest thing I have ever learned (seriously). I like to pat myself on the back for accomplishing certain things, getting to a certain level at my job, at doing my best to be a good person, my best to be a good Husband, my best to be a good Father, my best to be a good follower of God. However... .. I am still a screw up, and I have no actual control over my life. Surely I can type this statement, I can control that, but there is more that is out of my control. Whether it be sickness, job loss, a cheating spouce, or whatever. The point is that I have found that I am unable to do life on my own, on my own power, with only my own resources. Now being a man, this statement is seemingly weak, but in it, I have found strength. I need God for forgiveness, I need God for a good future, and I need God for a meaningful present. God sending Jesus Christ is the answer to all my dilemmas. I don't need God to make my life comfortable, but I sure need him for everything else. It seems to me that such an acknowledgment of need is the foundation of life in faith. My future, in all aspects, is in the hands of God, and I need him to make it. Just thought I would share. Do you need him?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 16th, 2007, 11:10 PM   #2
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

No...

He needs me, to do his work and he wants you to quit posting stuff that creates more work for him.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #3
K&J's Dad
Senior Member
 
K&J's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-07
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
I am still a screw up, and I have no actual control over my life. Surely I can type this statement, I can control that, but there is more that is out of my control. Whether it be sickness, job loss, a cheating spouce, or whatever. The point is that I have found that I am unable to do life on my own, on my own power, with only my own resources.
Sickness - god didn't make you sick. It was either the bacteria or virus you were subjected too. The medicine and your body got you better. Or it was genetics, always a possibility. Or you threw out your back while shoveling because you are not in shape and didn't bend at the knees.
This can be genetic or just because it is cold season, etc..
Job loss - you didn't work hard enough, downloaded too much porn onto the company computer, owner ran the business poorly, owner sold the company to make more money, etc..
You may have control over this or someone else does.
Cheating spouse - they wanted more, they were selfish, you didn't spend enough time with this person, poor communication, etc..
Same here. You have some control over this.

Most things boil down to who you surround yourself with. If you deal with shady people then you will get shafted. Surround yourself with trusting people and you will be rewarded. Quite simple really. You don't need god to explain these things. Look at the nice folks on this board. How many people have broken down and had someone help out simply beause they saw the sticker on the side of their rig? This is because a lot of the people on this board are trust worthy folk, not because god told them to stop. They would hope that if they were in the same situation, someone would help them out.
K&J's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 12:21 PM   #4
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Those circumstances did not happen to me, they are example of what CAN.

I have seen that you like to explain things away, but I know that there is more outside of my control than there is under my realm of influence. So tell me, how much are you in control? What are you unable to conrol?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:02 PM   #5
3-foot
Senior Member
 
3-foot's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-06
Location: Springfield Township, Mi
Posts: 1,130
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Kerwin View Post
The GREATEST thing I have ever learned both in seeking God and in life in general, comes in three short words: I need God.

Now don't let such a simple statement go without some consideration, after all, it truely is the greatest thing I have ever learned (seriously). I like to pat myself on the back for accomplishing certain things, getting to a certain level at my job, at doing my best to be a good person, my best to be a good Husband, my best to be a good Father, my best to be a good follower of God. However... .. I am still a screw up, and I have no actual control over my life. Surely I can type this statement, I can control that, but there is more that is out of my control. Whether it be sickness, job loss, a cheating spouce, or whatever. The point is that I have found that I am unable to do life on my own, on my own power, with only my own resources. Now being a man, this statement is seemingly weak, but in it, I have found strength. I need God for forgiveness, I need God for a good future, and I need God for a meaningful present. God sending Jesus Christ is the answer to all my dilemmas. I don't need God to make my life comfortable, but I sure need him for everything else. It seems to me that such an acknowledgment of need is the foundation of life in faith. My future, in all aspects, is in the hands of God, and I need him to make it. Just thought I would share. Do you need him?
You're saying you believe in God because you need to believe in God. I think that is true for everyone who believes.

I need to believe that someone will make a post in this forum sometime soon that is about politics instead of God.

In the mean time.....

"What shall we say, shall we call it by a name?
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin,
Water bright as the sky from which it came,
And the name is on the earth that takes it in.
We will not speak but stand inside the rain,
And listen to the thunder shout
I am, I am, I am, I am"

....see the meaning?

Maybe Jerry was God, and you could have been saved if you'd seen him in concert, like me.
3-foot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #6
K&J's Dad
Senior Member
 
K&J's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-07
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I control what I can. What I can't control, I have to have trust in others that they will act in my best interest.
examples:
other people's influence - I do my job the best I can. I can't stop my boss from running the business into the ground but I do trust that he is running the business so we can both keep our jobs and make money along the way.
biological influence - I eat somewhat healthy ( I like chocolate and beer) and exercise regularly. Heart disease runs in my family so I take care of my body the best I can but also understand that genetics has a say in my health. I get a sinus infection twice a year and am very prone to them after getting a cold or during allergy season. I try to keep stress at a minimum to keep my immune system as high as possible.

A god doesn't affect anything in either situation. It merely becomes an excuse to explain something that you can't comprehend or want to comprehend. We, as humans, don't know everything. Once you realize this, then you wouldn't need a god to worship. Following a religion is taking the stance that we have an answer for everything. Why do we have to have an answer? Can't you be satisfied knowing that we don't know? I don't need to fill the gaps by following or worshipping a god. I can accept the fact that some things are not comprehendable by the human brain.
K&J's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 02:43 PM   #7
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
You're saying you believe in God because you need to believe in God. I think that is true for everyone who believes.
You are reading too much into it. I did not post about why I first decided to believe, I mentioned something I learned recently after having followed Christ for nearly ten years.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:32 PM   #8
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&J's Dad View Post
1. I control what I can. What I can't control, I have to have trust in others that they will act in my best interest.

2. We, as humans, don't know everything. Once you realize this, then you wouldn't need a god to worship.
1. Trust someone besides yourself? How could you!? I also control what I can, but I am wise enoughto know that I cannot control it all, in fact, I can control very little. This is why I say that I need God, because I trust he will act in ways that are best for me. I am glad we agree that we cannot control everything and need to trust others.

2. Agreed again! We don't know everything. But my realization of my limitations does not draw me away from God, it draws me towards him. This is not out of some strange need to answer the "why" question, because with God, the answers are still not always clear, but there is trust that they fit into his best for me, be it difficult or otherwise.

So why does your realization of a need to trust and realization of your limited knowledge lead you to conclude so certainly that God is fake? Do you suppose that your limited control and limited knowledge can be so sure of this? Who do you say that Jesus is/was?
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:49 PM   #9
One Arm Steve
I was born in the desert
 
One Arm Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Harrison
Posts: 1,719
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Let go and let God.... thats what I'm working on.
One Arm Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:52 PM   #10
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Arm Steve View Post
Let go and let God.... thats what I'm working on.
Not sure if you are being sarcastic, throwing out a cliche', or being for real. But regardless, that is what I am talking about. But I am not talking about letting yourself off the hook and avoiding responsibility, but realizing that working with God instead of against him sure makes a lot of sense.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:54 PM   #11
One Arm Steve
I was born in the desert
 
One Arm Steve's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-20-05
Location: Harrison
Posts: 1,719
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Its for real.
One Arm Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 03:56 PM   #12
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Arm Steve View Post
Its for real.
Then it sounds like you and I have had similar conclusions lately. Cheers
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:11 PM   #13
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by One Arm Steve View Post
I'm a control freak. When something happens I don't like I'm quick to blame others when the fault lies with me. I need to let that shit go before it destroys me. Asking for guidance and letting go. Not as easy as it sounds.......
To deal with your fault, I would encourage you to find forgiveness. But this would be a long discussion for that, and will if you want.


My encouragement for you is to medidate on Psalm 34:8

Taste and see that the LORD is good; blessed is the man who takes refuge in him.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #14
Naypalm[]Maker
steveo's alt...
 
Naypalm[]Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-07
Location: Davison
Posts: 822
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3-foot View Post
You're saying you believe in God because you need to believe in God. I think that is true for everyone who believes.

I need to believe that someone will make a post in this forum sometime soon that is about politics instead of God.

In the mean time.....

"What shall we say, shall we call it by a name?
As well to count the angels dancing on a pin,
Water bright as the sky from which it came,
And the name is on the earth that takes it in.
We will not speak but stand inside the rain,
And listen to the thunder shout
I am, I am, I am, I am"

....see the meaning?

Maybe Jerry was God, and you could have been saved if you'd seen him in concert, like me.
LOL, Jerry
Naypalm[]Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:41 PM   #15
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,607
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Hi Dave!

I'm not in control, I just pay mah bills and go along for the ride. :)

Merry Christmas!
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 04:46 PM   #16
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
I'm not in control

Merry Christmas!

Me neither.

Merry Christmas :)
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 07:54 PM   #17
K&J's Dad
Senior Member
 
K&J's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-07
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Christianity:

The belief that some cosmic Jewish Zombie can make you live forever if you symbolically eat his flesh and telepathically tell him that you accept him as his master, so you can remove an evil force from your sould that is present in humanity because a rib-woman was convinced by a talking snake to eat from a magical tree.

Makes perfect sense.

K&J's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 09:55 PM   #18
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

not addressing the issue or the questions asked of you, thereby not having to face reality and living in a dream world, the type that you make fun of.

makes perfect sense
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:39 PM   #19
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

the other thing I learned is how to pray, this is a great model
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zKDC2iBQTYg
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM   #20
BMFmike
meh.
 
BMFmike's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Grand Haven
Posts: 7,816
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

God = Jacob

Watch lost damn it.
BMFmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.39021 seconds with 82 queries