My views on God and why we are doomed.... - Page 4 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old November 16th, 2007, 10:50 PM   #61
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,354
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
My wife is a devout catholic. Church EVERY sunday regardless if we are on vacation or not. She is in choir every sunday. Gives money to the church, donates time teaching catechism every week, prayer, says rosary in car, goes to special masses, leads a "good catholic" life etc....

I am not religious. I honestly don't know, nor care about god in any form or way. I don't have a view, I simply do not think about it at all. Whats comes after this life, I have no clue nor do I spend the time to think about it.

BUT!: I will not interfere with others beliefs. I back my wife 100% in any decision she makes and anything she wants to do and anything she wants to believe. I cannot stand anyone who preaches or says to believe in this or that. My aunt preaches and crap, I do not spend any time around her. My uncle has his own church, haven't talked to him in years.

What is Religion in general to me? A way for some people to cope with their life. It is a set of morals that learned and followed lead to a decent person. And that is why I have no problem with my wife raising our daughter in her church. The morals. I don't care or believe anything about Jesus or Mary, its all stories and made up crap, but the messages are always good.

But you saying we are doomed....I think your right, in a different way. Our meddling with diseases and all the "new" cures etc... it just screws us up, makes virus' stronger etc... the weak people live too long and don't die at 10yold, they live and have kids just as weak. So, the strong will survive in the end, the weak will die out eventually from something else out there. Sitting in a chair typing is bad, I should be chopping wood outside or hunting for dinner! I'm one of those people that wouldn't mind a kick in the pants that a global catastrophe would give!

my .02
I bet your wife prays for you every day. I'll pray for you now too.

Know Jesus, Know Peace
No Jesus, No Peace
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old November 17th, 2007, 10:48 AM   #62
Motor Slut
I put the Ick in Dick.
 
Motor Slut's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: 49963
Posts: 2,411
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
But you saying we are doomed....I think your right, in a different way. Our meddling with diseases and all the "new" cures etc... it just screws us up, makes virus' stronger etc... the weak people live too long and don't die at 10yold, they live and have kids just as weak. So, the strong will survive in the end, the weak will die out eventually from something else out there. Sitting in a chair typing is bad, I should be chopping wood outside or hunting for dinner! I'm one of those people that wouldn't mind a kick in the pants that a global catastrophe would give!

my .02
Hi Lucas!

Good to see that you see things the way I do.
Motor Slut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 17th, 2007, 11:00 AM   #63
Naypalm[]Maker
steveo's alt...
 
Naypalm[]Maker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-07
Location: Davison
Posts: 822
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Won't somebody please think of the children!!
Naypalm[]Maker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 19th, 2007, 01:27 PM   #64
scramblerman72
Moonlight stomper
 
scramblerman72's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-15-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 5,944
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to scramblerman72 Send a message via MSN to scramblerman72 Send a message via Yahoo to scramblerman72
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
I don't believe I have economical or moral superiority, but I may have some philosophical strongholds.

Me back down? I'm simply pointing out that you're referencing items that have no documentation to back them up. Theres no proof that "god destroyed countries", in fact that is laughable. Its just frustrating that you constantly reference times/events/actions that have absolutely ZERO backing. And when you're confronted, You either stop talking, or you use another made-up unverified source.
So you belive the big bang theroy and we evolved from micro ogannisem... even though those theories had be dis proved them selfs and all teir time lines are wacked also?

way i see it seince people belive there drible is true and religious people belive there drible...which ever side of the fence your one the other one is false... our drible says we have to tell everone that our God and Jesus loves you and if you belive you will get you name in the book of life and go to heaven, If we are wrong were just better people then most on the earth....... If your wrong you are screwed and have a eternal life in hell, if we didn't tell you would be a sin on our part one that you would never forgive for
scramblerman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 11:52 AM   #65
K&J's Dad
Senior Member
 
K&J's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-07
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

God gave us the power to learn how to spell. He also gave us the power to create spellcheck. Some people never learn how to spell or use spellcheck. We are all doomed!!
K&J's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 12:01 PM   #66
K&J's Dad
Senior Member
 
K&J's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-07
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

There is no god but it is entertaining to watch people waste so much energy believing in the afterlife. Boy will they be disappointed when they realize nothing happens when they die. We just become worm food. That is it. There won't be virgins waiting for our return to the heavens or any other BS.
God was created by man to explain the unexplainable. Every society had a "god" for this reason alone. The greeks and romans had a god for each portion of the world they didn't understand. The Mayans and Aztecs worshipped the sun because they knew it helped their harvests to grow and provide food. If they couldn't grow corn their "god" must have been mad at them. As we progress as a society we learn more scientifically and need this "god" less and less.
Why do we have to have an answer for all of life's mysteries? There are things our minds can't comprehend right now. It may change in the future and I don't need to find the answer by finding god (wherever he is hiding). I would rather watch football or Spike TV on a Sunday afternoon than go hear stories about a being that people believe is real. (That's right I said "believe". Can't prove it is there. My lunch is real. God is not. - don't go all hippie and say," how do you know your lunch is real?" We would some serious drugs to discuss this aspect!)
K&J's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 3rd, 2007, 04:21 PM   #67
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

"A&J's Dad" I don't even think that my beliefs are a waste of time. You may, that's your opinion. I'm glad to see that you are so sure that there is no God. I would like you to explain it alittle more other then "people used them to justify thier world". While that's a good arguement (sometimes) I don't see how something that minimal could support something that is such a big issue in our culture. I really jsut want to know. I remember that talk in my College civilizations class. It was pretty lame. Could have been the teacher....But lame. I belief what I belief and you don't belief what you don't want to belief. The only way to really find out is to die. If I'm right, your going to be saddly disapointed. If you're right, I'll have lived a decent life that was lived towards an ideal that millions of people share with me. (not saying you can't have that with out God, but what else is there?)
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 10:41 AM   #68
K&J's Dad
Senior Member
 
K&J's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-07
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

There are more atheists in the world than god worshipping people most Chinese and Russians are atheist). Most people believe the religion they were raised with. They don't study other religions. They believe other religions are wrong (for some only a few aspects, others the entire religion). Muslims are raised Muslims and hate us. Most in the US are raise christian and hate the Muslims. Why? Because that is all you know. You are merely a follower as were your parents and their parents before them.
My daughter (7yo) asked my wife if the tooth fairy is real because a kid at school said there is no such thing as the tooth fairy. My wife asked her what she really thought. My daughter wasn't quite sure and was leaning towards not believing. My wife then said, "Maybe the tooth fairy only comes to kid's houses that do believe." My daughter believes just to make sure she gets her $2 for her tooth. Same as God. If you continue to believe maybe you'll get your $2 (heaven) when you die. I'm willing to take my chances and enjoy life now and not wait for the encore. (also see - Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, etc...) As an added plus - Santa Claus only gives you coal for being bad, God dishes out cancer and worse to good people. I'd rather worship Santa!!
K&J's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 12:25 PM   #69
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by K&J's Dad View Post
There are more atheists in the world than god worshipping people most Chinese and Russians are atheist). Most people believe the religion they were raised with. They don't study other religions. They believe other religions are wrong (for some only a few aspects, others the entire religion). Muslims are raised Muslims and hate us. Most in the US are raise christian and hate the Muslims. Why? Because that is all you know. You are merely a follower as were your parents and their parents before them.
My daughter (7yo) asked my wife if the tooth fairy is real because a kid at school said there is no such thing as the tooth fairy. My wife asked her what she really thought. My daughter wasn't quite sure and was leaning towards not believing. My wife then said, "Maybe the tooth fairy only comes to kid's houses that do believe." My daughter believes just to make sure she gets her $2 for her tooth. Same as God. If you continue to believe maybe you'll get your $2 (heaven) when you die. I'm willing to take my chances and enjoy life now and not wait for the encore. (also see - Easter Bunny, Santa Claus, Frosty the Snowman, etc...) As an added plus - Santa Claus only gives you coal for being bad, God dishes out cancer and worse to good people. I'd rather worship Santa!!
you don't do like, immoral things because of your atheism though, right? just don't go to church...?
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:35 PM   #70
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 5,001
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
God dishes out cancer and worse to good people
Come on, Seriously? The reason so many people have such a negative look at God is because they blame him for every Negative thing. When good things happen, the give credit to someone else. He's not in charge of every single thing that happens. Not saying he couldn't be in charge of everything, He chooses not to be so he can see what HIS creations Do. He does this in hope that they will acknowledge him and follow his will. Most people don't like you mentioned; but instead of all being atheist, most are Agnostic<-- a Big difference. If you are sooooo Sure that you are right (about there being No God), then you can't blame him for everything.....

I believe in God because he Exists. The Easter bunny/Santa Etc. Are not evident in our world. My God is. That's my Opinion/Observation and you can believe what ever you want.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 07:43 PM   #71
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
you don't do like, immoral things because of your atheism though, right? just don't go to church...?
what do you define as immoral? morals change from one person to the next.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:01 PM   #72
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,698
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
what do you define as immoral? morals change from one person to the next.
morality does not exist.
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #73
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
what do you define as immoral? morals change from one person to the next.
very true. i suppose i mean like stealing, or something like that...

just trying to show that most atheists are moral upstanding people and you don't need religion to be a good person.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 4th, 2007, 09:09 PM   #74
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,948
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
I bet your wife prays for you every day. I'll pray for you now too.

Know Jesus, Know Peace
No Jesus, No Peace
That always looks so cute on the sign board in front of the church. Do they pay people to come up with those?

How about this one.

Know Satan, Know Peace
No Satan, No Peace

According to your beliefs, Satan must exist. Therefore, for there to be peace, there must be Satan. With no Satan, God doesn't exist, so no peace can exist. At least that is about as close as I can get to Christian logic.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 12:26 AM   #75
JDRL
Big Member
 
Join Date: 05-22-07
Location: mi
Posts: 662
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

[

way i see it seince people belive there drible is true and religious people belive there drible...which ever side of the fence your one the other one is false... our drible says we have to tell everone that our God and Jesus loves you and if you belive you will get you name in the book of life and go to heaven, If we are wrong were just better people then most on the earth....... If your wrong you are screwed and have a eternal life in hell, if we didn't tell you would be a sin on our part one that you would never forgive for[/QUOTE]


not true its not enought to know god loves you , you need to love god, just because you say u belive its no sure thing, you have to love god with all your heart.
jdrl
JDRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2007, 06:39 PM   #76
K&J's Dad
Senior Member
 
K&J's Dad's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-11-07
Location: Roseville, Michigan
Posts: 227
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

yes, I have "morals". This isn't something you need to go to church to learn or follow. I don't want someone taking something of mine so I won't take from others. I don't like the feeling associated and wouldn't want others to suffer the same feelings.
I am not "perfect" either. I like to "sin", as they call it. I gamble, I drink, I have wild sex ; all sometimes in extremes . I watch the movies I want :dunie: and read the books I want to read; I don't need a group to tell me they are bad (brainwashing). "Ahhhh, the Golden Compass is EVIL!!!"...and they haven't read the book or seen the movie yet to decide if it is bad or not. I will take my kids to see it and make up their own minds.
The Catholic church is the largest corporation in the world. Their net worth makes Walmart look like a lemonade stand. They wield power and you are their followers doing as they wish. In history, who always commanded the church or had the priest-head as a right-hand-man, the king. To rule over the weak minded peasants.
Why do you thinks blacks are so religious?? They want something better than what they have now. They need a way out of their crappy lives. They believe god gave them the speed to be a wide receiver in the NFL and create these chances for them. "He got me out of the inner-city and into this huge house and Bentley." Uh no, that would be your lucky ass genes that made you so freakin' fast. You won the gene pool lottery you dumb shit. It wasn't the Easter Bunny that gave you those fast feet.
K&J's Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 12:14 AM   #77
JDRL
Big Member
 
Join Date: 05-22-07
Location: mi
Posts: 662
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

oh and I was think about the title "we are doomed",
it shoul read why I am doomed , I know I am going to be ok In the end.
jdrl
JDRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2007, 01:11 AM   #78
JDirt
Always right-sometimes
 
JDirt's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-02-07
Location: Interlochen
Posts: 1,873
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Being the machanicly minded people that we are (wheelers that is) we tend to believe in tangible cause and effect. If we can't see it, it isn't there right? I know that at least in my case it is hard to "just have faith". In my arguements with bible thumpers, I always felt like I won. As I grow older though, I have become somewhat religious. Maybe because it just makes me feel like if I got hit by a truck tomarrow, I will go to heaven. It's funny, it's actually my logical side that makes me believe in god, because I just can't believe that every little living thing on earth was an accident. It had to be an intelligent design. Although I have said it in the past, I will never again say with conviction that there is no god.
JDirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:01 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.32848 seconds with 75 queries