Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Rig Builds and Pics Introduce your rig or post a buildup here.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 12th, 2007, 08:44 PM   #81
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 19,954
iTrader: (21)
No, not really, I guess I will have to lay it out for you. It really boils down to this: The pitch circle of a fine thread is larger than a course thread. You can't talk about the depth of the thread because the deeper you go into the thread of the bolt, the further and narrower the thread of the nut gets. The point where the nut and the bolt have the same shear strength is at the pitch circle. So, again, it's the size of the pitch circle. Bigger diameter means more circumfrence means more material to shear.

Are we going to have to put some bolts in the vise again to prove my point?
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 12th, 2007, 10:35 PM   #82
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,774
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
No, not really, I guess I will have to lay it out for you. It really boils down to this: The pitch circle of a fine thread is larger than a course thread. You can't talk about the depth of the thread because the deeper you go into the thread of the bolt, the further and narrower the thread of the nut gets. The point where the nut and the bolt have the same shear strength is at the pitch circle. So, again, it's the size of the pitch circle. Bigger diameter means more circumfrence means more material to shear.

Are we going to have to put some bolts in the vise again to prove my point?
so your saying that the median diameter of the thread (max/root) determines its strength and the area of thread has no effect on this whether the weakest material will fail before the root diameter of the thread snaps?

we might have to break some bolts/strip some aluminum to test this one out
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:14 AM   #83
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 19,954
iTrader: (21)
Yes, median (pitch diameter) is the point where the strength comes in to play. And yes, that is assuming alike materials. I know where you are going by saying if you go to a course thread that you will get deeper into the aluminum. But, don't forget, you are using the aluminum "as the nut". This means that you want your pitch diameter to be larger, as in fine thread.

If you were using a steel nut and aluminum bolt, I would agree with you more.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 06:57 AM   #84
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,774
iTrader: (6)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Yes, median (pitch diameter) is the point where the strength comes in to play. And yes, that is assuming alike materials. I know where you are going by saying if you go to a course thread that you will get deeper into the aluminum. But, don't forget, you are using the aluminum "as the nut". This means that you want your pitch diameter to be larger, as in fine thread.

If you were using a steel nut and aluminum bolt, I would agree with you more.

I still dont agree, for now lets just agree to disagree.....

Im sure whatever you do it should work fine.
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 13th, 2007, 08:04 AM   #85
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 19,954
iTrader: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by 95geo View Post
I still dont agree, for now lets just agree to disagree.....

Im sure whatever you do it should work fine.
Remeber our last go around.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 04:57 PM   #86
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,707
iTrader: (42)
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Remeber our last go around.

butt sex and you couldn't decided he got to go first
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 19th, 2007, 05:40 PM   #87
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 19,954
iTrader: (21)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post
butt sex and you couldn't decided he got to go first
If you're gonna make a smart ass remark, the least you could do would be to phrase a sentence that makes sense.

"decided"???????
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 21st, 2007, 12:26 PM   #88
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake
Posts: 11,134
iTrader: (4)
finished my steering so here is a couple cell ph shots. 7/8 by 3/4 heims. 1,3/4 steering tube and 1,7/8 track bar.

Last edited by liv2mx; April 2nd, 2008 at 10:50 PM.
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 11:56 AM   #89
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake
Posts: 11,134
iTrader: (4)
few more.

Last edited by liv2mx; November 29th, 2007 at 01:33 PM.
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:13 PM   #90
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,774
iTrader: (6)
looks good, now go find the weak links
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM   #91
Fullsize4life
Kicking Cancers ASS
 
Fullsize4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-06
Location: Hart, Mi (next to silver lake)
Posts: 18,757
iTrader: (7)
Pretty gay...................Got your gears in yet? I i welded my front on saturday. Little different but i like it. Looks good, when are you going to run it?
Fullsize4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:13 PM   #92
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake
Posts: 11,134
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fullsize4life View Post
Pretty gay...................Got your gears in yet? I i welded my front on saturday. Little different but i like it. Looks good, when are you going to run it?
waiting on my rims...badlands this weekend. long as my rims are here. need to mount winch and a few little things.. i will take a picture of my front shock tower..cut it and lowered so i can have major down travel. i only have 7 inch of uptravel but it will drop down a 30 inch shock. this was mikes idea why we where sitting there so about a hours worth of work and it was done. we are doing his tonight... ran the mile of mud with mikes yesterday.....38's and we barely made it...no way in hell if it was real wet...

Last edited by liv2mx; September 24th, 2007 at 04:18 PM.
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 04:21 PM   #93
Fullsize4life
Kicking Cancers ASS
 
Fullsize4life's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-06
Location: Hart, Mi (next to silver lake)
Posts: 18,757
iTrader: (7)
Cool you should have called we messed around, matt and zeke came up and we wheeled around a little.
Fullsize4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM   #94
bigyj
Senior Member
 
bigyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Muskegon.MI
Posts: 856
iTrader: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by liv2mx View Post
waiting on my rims...badlands this weekend. long as my rims are here. need to mount winch and a few little things.. i will take a picture of my front shock tower..cut it and lowered so i can have major down travel. i only have 7 inch of uptravel but it will drop down a 30 inch shock. this was mikes idea why we where sitting there so about a hours worth of work and it was done. we are doing his tonight... ran the mile of mud with mikes yesterday.....38's and we barely made it...no way in hell if it was real wet...
You sure you want take it that far for the first time out. Just bring Mike's and beat it like you stole.

I think your gonna break you front stubs also. Just your luck should have puts rocks in it.
bigyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:48 AM   #95
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake
Posts: 11,134
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigyj View Post
You sure you want take it that far for the first time out. Just bring Mike's and beat it like you stole.

I think your gonna break you front stubs also. Just your luck should have puts rocks in it.
i did it the last time i built it, finished at 2am loaded up drove to the badlands, didnt break a thing....(that trip). i just wanna go to drink with you anyway tom....you think we are really going to wheel? thought we would just sit at the pub all day!!!
my front will be the 35 chromo stuff real fast....
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 09:54 AM   #96
liv2mx
i like jungle gym's.
 
liv2mx's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: silver lake
Posts: 11,134
iTrader: (4)
put my disc break kit on the back last night....that sucked getting those old frozen drums off... tried cutting the cast and that was going no where...so cut the center out and boom, loss of 50 plds a side..
liv2mx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 05:13 PM   #97
wheelsofsteele
G boy!!!
 
wheelsofsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-06-07
Location: mid MI.
Posts: 434
iTrader: (9)
the little jeep.....have it dialed in nice now.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep25_0001.jpg
Views:	319
Size:	90.8 KB
ID:	15405   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sep25_0003.jpg
Views:	338
Size:	94.5 KB
ID:	15406  
wheelsofsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2007, 08:41 PM   #98
bigyj
Senior Member
 
bigyj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Muskegon.MI
Posts: 856
iTrader: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelsofsteele View Post
the little jeep.....have it dialed in nice now.

Looks good Mike!
bigyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 26th, 2007, 09:44 AM   #99
Dave Kerwin
web wheeling, hard.
 
Dave Kerwin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-18-05
Location: SE MI
Posts: 6,667
iTrader: (9)
that jeep is looking great~!!
Dave Kerwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 28th, 2007, 12:24 PM   #100
wheelsofsteele
G boy!!!
 
wheelsofsteele's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-06-07
Location: mid MI.
Posts: 434
iTrader: (9)
thanks to all!!!! now all we have to get Erins rig done!!!!! and get all bugs worked out on his
wheelsofsteele is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Rig Builds and Pics
Tags
this shit done yet?

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.20494 seconds with 53 queries