Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Land Use > Rules, Regulations, Trail, and ORV Park Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:40 PM   #1
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,293
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default Can I drive my full size rig down a quad trail in michigan if I don't hit any trees?

discuss.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:48 PM   #2
mpwal099
Stick it up your ass
 
mpwal099's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-05-06
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 3,070
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

go for it. every one else does it so why not you too?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I feel, for the most part, we have a whole generation of worthless, lazy, pieces of shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Matty View Post
A good chunk of the younger generation is really fucked up. Not all of them, but a good amount.
mpwal099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:49 PM   #3
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,293
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwal099 View Post
go for it. every one else does it so why not you too?
Its not if I can, but if its legal.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:54 PM   #4
mpwal099
Stick it up your ass
 
mpwal099's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-05-06
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 3,070
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

short answer: no

long answer:

Definitions which define where and how ORV/ATVs may be operated include:

“Forest Road” Forest roads are hard surfaced roads, gravel and dirt roads, and other routes that can be traveled by a conventional 2-wheel drive vehicle designed for highway use (passenger car), including fire lanes and logging roads. “Forest Road” does NOT include any state, federal or county highways or roads. In general, forest road means a road OTHER THAN A COUNTY OR STATE ROAD that the family car can operate on without assistance. ORV license is required.

“Designated” means posted OPEN for ORV use with appropriate signs.

“Designated Route” means a forest or county road which has been signed for ORV use by the DNR. For ORVs of all sizes. Either ORV or Secretary of State conventional licensing is required.

“Designated Area” means an area that is signed for cross-country ORV use by the DNR. ORV license is required.

“Forest Trail” Forest trails are designated paths or ways that can only be traveled by vehicles that are less than 50" in width. ORV license is required.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I feel, for the most part, we have a whole generation of worthless, lazy, pieces of shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Matty View Post
A good chunk of the younger generation is really fucked up. Not all of them, but a good amount.
mpwal099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 17th, 2007, 10:57 PM   #5
mpwal099
Stick it up your ass
 
mpwal099's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-05-06
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 3,070
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

even better:

http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I feel, for the most part, we have a whole generation of worthless, lazy, pieces of shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Matty View Post
A good chunk of the younger generation is really fucked up. Not all of them, but a good amount.
mpwal099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 05:54 AM   #6
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,836
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If your rig is 50" wide or less, fine.

Otherwise, no.

And from a practical perspective, you'd have a hard time making it through pretty much any of them. While some have wider areas or use snow machine trail segments, I have a hard time getting my 48" Polaris through some.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #7
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,293
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwal099 View Post
short answer: no

long answer:

Definitions which define where and how ORV/ATVs may be operated include:

“Forest Road” Forest roads are hard surfaced roads, gravel and dirt roads, and other routes that can be traveled by a conventional 2-wheel drive vehicle designed for highway use (passenger car), including fire lanes and logging roads. “Forest Road” does NOT include any state, federal or county highways or roads. In general, forest road means a road OTHER THAN A COUNTY OR STATE ROAD that the family car can operate on without assistance. ORV license is required.

Where do I find the definition of "coventional"? I can now go purchase a 4x4 with front/rear lockers right off a car dealership lot. Is this conventional if I use 2 wheel drive?



What happens if my "family car" is a jeep?
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:17 AM   #8
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

i thought the rule was drive anywhere you want as long as you dont get caught
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 06:37 AM   #9
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,293
iTrader: (39)
Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
i thought the rule was drive anywhere you want as long as you dont get caught
can you keep your bullshit out of 4x4 land use forum?
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:33 AM   #10
mpwal099
Stick it up your ass
 
mpwal099's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-05-06
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 3,070
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Where do I find the definition of "coventional"? I can now go purchase a 4x4 with front/rear lockers right off a car dealership lot. Is this conventional if I use 2 wheel drive?



What happens if my "family car" is a jeep?

Ha. I was thinking about this after I logged off. Another question to pose is, "is it legal to use 4 wheel drive in slippery conditions on a paved road? Our laws seem to be written otherwise. And if it is the case that we can't use 4 wheel drive on a paved road, then why in the hell is it even legal in Michigan to purchase a vehicle equipped with it?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I feel, for the most part, we have a whole generation of worthless, lazy, pieces of shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Matty View Post
A good chunk of the younger generation is really fucked up. Not all of them, but a good amount.
mpwal099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #11
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,734
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwal099 View Post
Ha. I was thinking about this after I logged off. Another question to pose is, "is it legal to use 4 wheel drive in slippery conditions on a paved road? Our laws seem to be written otherwise. And if it is the case that we can't use 4 wheel drive on a paved road, then why in the hell is it even legal in Michigan to purchase a vehicle equipped with it?

Don't know the details but yes, if weather is a factor, 4 wheel drive use is legal.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 07:59 AM   #12
95geo
newbie
 
95geo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: dryden
Posts: 5,774
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwal099 View Post
Ha. I was thinking about this after I logged off. Another question to pose is, "is it legal to use 4 wheel drive in slippery conditions on a paved road? Our laws seem to be written otherwise. And if it is the case that we can't use 4 wheel drive on a paved road, then why in the hell is it even legal in Michigan to purchase a vehicle equipped with it?

that question has been answered, it is how sno*blind is able to run roads that are otherwise closed and the activity RBB tried to pin on glfwda as being illegal.

read this: http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthr...hlight=illegal
95geo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:47 AM   #13
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
can you keep your bullshit out of 4x4 land use forum?
ever consider getting your colon irrigated? its a pretty well known fact that quad trails are for QUADS. ask a dumbass question, get a sarcastic answer.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:48 AM   #14
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,062
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
Can I drive my full size rig down a quad trail in michigan if I don't hit any trees?

If the trail is conspicously narrow such that it appears to be designed for a Quad AND you are wider than 50" you 'could' get a ticket. Once again it is subject to 'some' interpetation from the DNR Officer.
The problem come in how the trail was developed. Many <50" trails are really 2 tracks in the woods that had the entrance relocated to go through two trees 51" wide. Once you pass through the strainer, the trail opened up to a old logging road. Wide enough for a full size rig. USFS is notorious for this tactic.
There are also forest roads marked with 'ORV Trail' triangles. If it's got two tracks and obvioulsy shows signs of travel, it's legal to be there. The ORV Trail sign in itself does NOT regulate what size vehicle is allowed on the trial.
Case in point, Look at Drummond. Those roads were marked for ORV Trail because they wanted to allow unlicensed Quads and M/C on the trail. Street legal vehicles were already allowed there. However, due to a total lack of this understanding, the Quad and M/C community believed they were the only ones allowed on that trail. There is some discussion to revise this trail system to alleviate this mis-understanding.
The other rub comes with the fact I do not see in the law where it is illegal for dull size rigs to be on ,50" trails. The law only say's these are the two sizes for vehicles in the woods. It says designed for vehicles <50", NOT illegal for those over 50" to be on them.
The 50" width is a nationwide width. Which is why the Plaris Razor has become popular. 50" wide on the button and sits' two abreast. Much like the old Honda Odysey except update with new technology.

95Geo answered the slippery road condition question. In fact GLFWDA has a letter from the DNR that spells out that situation exactly. We'll get that posted in the very near future.

Relative to the definition of 'conventional'? This is a situation where the law has failed to keep pace with technology. The DNR refuses to remove the 2WD clause from the current law because it was put there to stop the cross country travel that they (DNR) say the Quads and M/C were doing after the original P.A. 319 was passed in the late 70's. It took till 1991 for them to 'figure out a method' to get them back on the forest road. That revision however went un-noticed when the law was revised.
Every time we try to revise it, we get stymied by the DNR. The Legislature always ask's the DNR for their opinion on revision to the ORV law. If the DNR doesn't want it changed, it won't get changed unless we get substantual momentum and leverage from the Legislature.

'Cliff notes for CC' If you fit reasonabally legitimately, your OK. Unless the DNR officer is having a bad day!
Jim-kb8ymf
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:54 AM   #15
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,404
iTrader: (35)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

IMHO, buy a trailbike, an ORV sticker and get it licensed and go nearly wherever you want (ORV trails and forest roads).
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:55 AM   #16
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have found that on the wolf lake area/baldwin trails, if it is marked for atv's you cant drive down it with a jeep no matter how well you fit. and with the state giving out less and less money, dnr officers are handing out more tickets than ever, its best not to chance it. its the same say saying that you 85cc dirtbike may be able to go the minimum speed for the highway and have blinkers, but its still not allowed to drive there.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 08:59 AM   #17
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,734
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I have found that on the wolf lake area/baldwin trails, if it is marked for atv's you cant drive down it with a jeep no matter how well you fit. and with the state giving out less and less money, dnr officers are handing out more tickets than ever, its best not to chance it. its the same say saying that you 85cc dirtbike may be able to go the minimum speed for the highway and have blinkers, but its still not allowed to drive there.
What do you mean by found?
Warning given?
Ticket given?
To you or someone else?
Second hand rumor mill?
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:00 AM   #18
phittie1100
Senior Member
 
phittie1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-26-05
Location: Burton, MI
Posts: 1,774
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

The subjective interpretation of a CO is the part that will do you in. Last year on DI our we passed 2 DNR COs on quads on a marked ORV Trail. They were investigating illegal driving on the shale beach and were checking tires as we drove by, looking for a specific tread pattern. They waved as we drove past. That particular trail is a typical forest road, in most places 6-8 feet or more wide. The designation allows ATVs to use a trail that is otherwide legal for a SOS licensed vehicle since it meets the State's definition of a forest road.
__________________
Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
KD8PAV
phittie1100 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 09:03 AM   #19
steveo
In the band!
 
Join Date: 03-30-07
Location: montana/wyoming
Posts: 20,293
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
What do you mean by found?
Warning given?
Ticket given?
To you or someone else?
Second hand rumor mill?
was warned years ago when i wandered onto an atv trail that wasn't clearly marked out by our Bitley deer camp. i was driving my truck at the time, and a neat trail crossed the seasonal road i was on, so i went down it. I was much younger at the time, so he just warned me to stay off of roads i wasnt sure of.
steveo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 18th, 2007, 10:43 AM   #20
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,062
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
was warned years ago when i wandered onto an atv trail that wasn't clearly marked out by our Bitley deer camp. i was driving my truck at the time, and a neat trail crossed the seasonal road i was on, so i went down it. I was much younger at the time, so he just warned me to stay off of roads i wasnt sure of.
Did you fit down it?, If so, the DNR Officer was out of line. Again, just another example of how screwed up the wording on the current ORV law is for users to interpet. The DNR however think it's great, lots of leway in interpetation.
jim-kb8ymf
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Land Use > Rules, Regulations, Trail, and ORV Park Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:23 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.24839 seconds with 53 queries