Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 17th, 2007, 03:35 PM   #1
matt3liv
Senior Member
 
matt3liv's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-06
Location: Fenton
Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Any ford diesels with same bolt pattern as a late 90's 302?

I have a project that currently has a late 90's 302 HO out of a Lincoln, allegedly. Currently bolted up to an AOD. Its in a scrambler and has adv adapt motor mounts in place.

Were there any diesels that would drop in place of this 302?

Thanks.
matt3liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:51 PM   #2
bj house
Senior Member
 
bj house's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-02-06
Location: Auburn Hills, MI
Posts: 5,289
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

You want to pump diesel meh ballz through an AOD?
bj house is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 10:53 PM   #3
HVYRTFT
Reed my teef
 
HVYRTFT's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-17-07
Location: Whitehall,MI
Posts: 2,407
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bj house View Post
You want to pump diesel meh ballz through an AOD?
might want to stock up on your a4ld's.
HVYRTFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:26 PM   #4
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,408
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default

no
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #5
Never_Evil
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 07-24-07
Location: Green Bay, WI
Posts: 346
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

In a simple answer...NO. All Ford diesels had big block bell housings. Conversions can be done and a few things to watch for.

First things first. Bell housings of AOD and Diesel are two different sizes, you would need an adapter of sorts. AOD's are fairly weak in stock form and the torque of the diesel will shred the bands in there. You are better off finding an Allison transmission to put in its place. If you want to absolutely keep your AOD, then you would want a stroked and poked 351W up to a 427 displacement. Get some decent flowing heads and a high torque camshaft if you want to haul stuff.
Never_Evil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 05:43 PM   #6
jontboudrie
Senior Member
 
jontboudrie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-24-06
Location: monroe mi
Posts: 669
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default diesels

ford had a diesel in some early model 85 ranger 4x4's didn't last long though if you could find one of those !!!

good luck i' keep my eyes open

and i have all kins of 6.9 and 7.3 diesel stuff and a allison trans bolted to a 6.9 in a school bus. if anything comes up i'll try to help.
jontboudrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2007, 11:19 PM   #7
Captain Ledd
Ranger Addiction?
 
Captain Ledd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Davisburg
Posts: 2,065
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jontboudrie View Post
ford had a diesel in some early model 85 ranger 4x4's didn't last long though if you could find one of those !!!

good luck i' keep my eyes open

and i have all kins of 6.9 and 7.3 diesel stuff and a allison trans bolted to a 6.9 in a school bus. if anything comes up i'll try to help.
I'd shy away from them, I've heard average reliability from them, but they're an N/A diesel, so no turbo, were fairly anemic and really didn't give that great of mileage for a small diesel.

Get a VW one and chip it, and get an adapter from somewhere. the pre '99 ones have better mileage/less power, the newer ones have much more power but less mileage. But if emissions is no concern, another option is:

Stephen Calhill
Old British Wheels Canada LTD.
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
Canada
(902)229-3778


it's caled the "HS2800" by international
Pic 1 Pic 2

Base Price: $5,800
Peak Torque: 375 Nm (277ft lbs) @ 1,400 RPM
Peak Horsepower: 135 @ 3,800 RPM
Weight: 208 Kg (~460 lbs) - about the same as a small block with aluminum heads
  • NO COMPUTER - Totally mechanical engine
  • Available in a wastegate and variable geometry turbocharger configurations
  • Click here for a picture of the power curve
  • Adapter plates to fit GM transmissions! (by Advance Adapters)
More information on this engine in particular can be found at the engines\\\\\\\\\\' Yahoo group HERE. Including detailed drawings of the engines' size and location of components to plan your swap more easily in the files section.

If you want to stay Ford it is (or at least WAS) used in the Rangers overseas (but doesn't have a SBF pattern). I don't think there's for adapters at this time, but I do have both the patterns for the 2800 and a Ford small block AND the Jeep 4.0 and it's counterparts, but only the bolt patterns, not the crank patterns or any other spacers or how the starter would fit. but if you wanted those I can PM them to you there is however a GM adapter for it. and "technically" you could get the GM adapter and then get a Ford adapter for the GM pattern, but getting al that in tolerance might be an issue.

those are about the closest you going to get to running a diesel, I'm pretty sure there isn't any diesels with a SBF pattern. Good luck on the project!
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 12:35 AM   #8
Jrod-13
poser wheeler
 
Join Date: 08-31-06
Location: Tower, MN
Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

First things first here..

Diesels don't use a big block bellhousing, its pretty similar, but not the same.
Early rangers with diesels were mentioned. They aren't great motors, but they do get exceptional mileage in those little trucks, and the turbo version make pretty decent power(in a ranger), The one my buddy has knocks down a solid 33mpg, and even has pulled a few trailers in its day.
One option you may want to look into, is 80's Lincoln mark VII's, they could be bought with a 2.4L BMW turbo diesel. I know they were backed by a 4 speed auto, though I can't recall if it was a AOD, or a german tranny.

Another really good source is the smaller mercedes diesels, mainly for the size and weight.

Allthough, if it was mine, I'd be looking for a 4BT cummins.
Jrod-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:33 AM   #9
matt3liv
Senior Member
 
matt3liv's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-06
Location: Fenton
Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

thanks for the replies. I know very little little about ford diesels. This helped a lot. To address some of the questions...

No, I am not set on keeping the aod. Its just what its sporting right now.

I will not be hauling with this rig. Its just a little scrambler and will be towed most of the time.

I want the diesel to convert it to WVO consumption.

I saw a craigslist lincoln Mark VII that had a six cyl diesel in it. Says it came from the facotry that way. Anyone know anything about that engine? here is the quote form the ad. "6cyl turbo diesel engine BMW built gets 35-40MPG." That can't be the same one, is it?
matt3liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:38 AM   #10
matt3liv
Senior Member
 
matt3liv's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-06
Location: Fenton
Posts: 385
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Ledd View Post
I'd shy away from them, I've heard average reliability from them, but they're an N/A diesel, so no turbo, were fairly anemic and really didn't give that great of mileage for a small diesel.

Get a VW one and chip it, and get an adapter from somewhere. the pre '99 ones have better mileage/less power, the newer ones have much more power but less mileage. But if emissions is no concern, another option is:

Stephen Calhill
Old British Wheels Canada LTD.
Dartmouth Nova Scotia
Canada
(902)229-3778


it's caled the "HS2800" by international
Pic 1 Pic 2

Base Price: $5,800
Peak Torque: 375 Nm (277ft lbs) @ 1,400 RPM
Peak Horsepower: 135 @ 3,800 RPM
Weight: 208 Kg (~460 lbs) - about the same as a small block with aluminum heads
  • NO COMPUTER - Totally mechanical engine
  • Available in a wastegate and variable geometry turbocharger configurations
  • Click here for a picture of the power curve
  • Adapter plates to fit GM transmissions! (by Advance Adapters)
More information on this engine in particular can be found at the engines\\\\\\\\\\' Yahoo group HERE. Including detailed drawings of the engines' size and location of components to plan your swap more easily in the files section.

If you want to stay Ford it is (or at least WAS) used in the Rangers overseas (but doesn't have a SBF pattern). I don't think there's for adapters at this time, but I do have both the patterns for the 2800 and a Ford small block AND the Jeep 4.0 and it's counterparts, but only the bolt patterns, not the crank patterns or any other spacers or how the starter would fit. but if you wanted those I can PM them to you there is however a GM adapter for it. and "technically" you could get the GM adapter and then get a Ford adapter for the GM pattern, but getting al that in tolerance might be an issue.

those are about the closest you going to get to running a diesel, I'm pretty sure there isn't any diesels with a SBF pattern. Good luck on the project!
I'd throw an International engine in my scrambler! Are there many used engines out there? $5,800 is a bit steep. That's way more than I have into the scrambler already .....
matt3liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 20th, 2007, 09:50 PM   #11
Captain Ledd
Ranger Addiction?
 
Captain Ledd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Davisburg
Posts: 2,065
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3liv View Post
I'd throw an International engine in my scrambler! Are there many used engines out there? $5,800 is a bit steep. That's way more than I have into the scrambler already .....
There might be you could call and ask. The more he can order at once the lower the cost will be, but keep in mind that price there is basicaly for a turn key engine too.
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2007, 01:23 AM   #12
Jrod-13
poser wheeler
 
Join Date: 08-31-06
Location: Tower, MN
Posts: 78
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3liv View Post

I saw a craigslist lincoln Mark VII that had a six cyl diesel in it. Says it came from the facotry that way. Anyone know anything about that engine? here is the quote form the ad. "6cyl turbo diesel engine BMW built gets 35-40MPG." That can't be the same one, is it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrod-13 View Post
One option you may want to look into, is 80's Lincoln mark VII's, they could be bought with a 2.4L BMW turbo diesel. I know they were backed by a 4 speed auto, though I can't recall if it was a AOD, or a german tranny.
If your refering to me, yeah, thats the motor. but honestly I don't really know much more about them than what I stated, though some of the markVII sites should have some decent info on them.
Jrod-13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:54 PM   #13
The PIG Smith
Senior Member
 
The PIG Smith's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-19-07
Location: Fort Wayne, Indiana
Posts: 127
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt3liv View Post
I'd throw an International engine in my scrambler!
You're kidding, right?
You would need a Dana60 front axle and body lift to fit that pig in a CJ8 Scrambler!
The PIG Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 01:58 PM   #14
bigcountrysg
Countryboy
 
bigcountrysg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-07-07
Location: Willis Michigan
Posts: 1,599
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I would go with a 4cylinder Cummins Engine or the 6 cylinder Cummins out of a Dodge. Yeah you will need to build engine mounts and all that. But it can be done just like the Ford Diesel can be done. But Cummins are easier to find.
bigcountrysg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2007, 02:47 PM   #15
Captain Ledd
Ranger Addiction?
 
Captain Ledd's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Davisburg
Posts: 2,065
iTrader: (31)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The PIG Smith View Post
You're kidding, right?
You would need a Dana60 front axle and body lift to fit that pig in a CJ8 Scrambler!
It's only a 2.8L 4cyl. it's not that enormous. Did you even read my post about it?

Also I forgot to add about the price of that one, it comes with things like A/C, P/S pump, alternator with a built in vacuum pump and I believe a fan and flywheel too along with glow plugs.

Re: bigcountrysg

That 4cyl Cummins is still on the high end of 700 lbs, and the 6cyl is basically 1000lbs dry.



THEN you would need the D60 and body lift.

Last edited by Captain Ledd; August 31st, 2007 at 02:51 PM.
Captain Ledd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:22 PM   #16
busyfixin
Balls Deep
 
busyfixin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: williamsburg, MI
Posts: 3,178
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

id get a om617 from an 80's 300d or s-class. you will have to make a bellhousing adapter and crank spacer to whatever trans you want, or use the benz trans and a divorced case. an om603 would be more powerful, but the 617 is pretty basic and easy to work with.
busyfixin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2007, 11:54 PM   #17
Toivo
Feel lucky?
 
Toivo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-24-06
Location: Denver
Posts: 5,142
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Benz diesels love WVO, IIRC the older diesels found in pre-1986.
Toivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:42 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.22194 seconds with 46 queries