ORV handicap law...Questions? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Land Use > Rules, Regulations, Trail, and ORV Park Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:40 PM   #1
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,384
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default ORV handicap law...Questions?

www.michigan.gov
(To Print: use your browser's print function)
Release Date: May 30, 2002
Last Update: February 03, 2006
Off Road Vehicle Certification of ORV Privileges for Persons with a Disability Persons that meet the following criteria are permitted to operate licensed ATVs/ORVs less than 50" wide on forest roads that are open to public vehicular travel on state lands (including those not posted open to ORVs). Privileges do not extend to cross-country travel nor to areas, trails and roads specifically posted CLOSED to vehicle or ORV use, nor to the operation of an ORV within state game, wildlife, or research areas, federal forest lands, state parks, state recreation areas or Michigan trailways:
  • Those persons issued a valid temporary or permanent handicapper parking permit issued by the Secretary of State Office.
  • Those persons holding Permits to Hunt from a Standing Vehicle.
  • Those persons with a physicians certification for the following disabilities:
    • Loss of 1 or both legs or feet;
    • Inability to walk more than 200 feet without having to stop and rest;
    • Inability to walk without prolonged use of wheelchair, walker, crutches, braces or other devices to aide in mobility;
    • Lung disease from which the person's expiratory volume for 1 second is less than 1 liter when measured by spirometry;
    • Lung disease from which the person's arterial oxygen is less than 60 mm/hg of room air at rest;
    • Cardiovascular disease from which the person measures between 3 and 4 on the New York heart classification scale/
    • Cardiovascular disease from which a marked limitation of physical activity causes fatigue, palpitation, dyspnea or anginal pain;
    • Other disease or disorder including but not limited to severe arthritis or neurological-orthopedic impairment that creates a severe mobility limitation.
    • Click here for a copy of the Physicians certification of eligibility form.
  • Persons with obvious severe disabilities (i.e., paraplegics, quadriplegic).
Operation of the ORV is subject to licensing and all other requirements and restrictions, and shall only be at a speed and in a manner which does not degrade the environment. These privileges may extend to one companion of the disabled person serving as operator or passenger of the disabled person's ORV, if the ORV is designed for passenger use.





If you read the law above as an officer of the law, what do you expect the user to be carring to confirm his disability and eligability within the law?
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:45 PM   #2
mpwal099
Stick it up your ass
 
mpwal099's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-05-06
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 3,070
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti
what do you expect the user to be carring to confirm his disability and eligability within the law?[/COLOR]
[/COLOR]
I'd hope they'd be riding in this

__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I feel, for the most part, we have a whole generation of worthless, lazy, pieces of shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Matty View Post
A good chunk of the younger generation is really fucked up. Not all of them, but a good amount.
mpwal099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:49 PM   #3
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,384
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default




Thats cute....I want one.
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM   #4
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,622
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpwal099 View Post
I'd hope they'd be riding in this

Where do I get one? I will handicapped during this hunting season.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 25th, 2007, 08:02 PM   #5
mpwal099
Stick it up your ass
 
mpwal099's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-05-06
Location: Plymouth
Posts: 3,070
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post
Where do I get one? I will handicapped during this hunting season.

www.tankchair.com
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stan View Post
I feel, for the most part, we have a whole generation of worthless, lazy, pieces of shit.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fatty Matty View Post
A good chunk of the younger generation is really fucked up. Not all of them, but a good amount.
mpwal099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 11:15 AM   #6
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,104
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

I'm waiting for someone to use the ADA act to access trails not open to conventional 4WD (full size) vehicles. Only a matter of time.
jim-kb8ymf
kb8ymf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 26th, 2007, 03:19 PM   #7
ckupq
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
 
ckupq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Posts: 3,399
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
I'm waiting for someone to use the ADA act to access trails not open to conventional 4WD (full size) vehicles. Only a matter of time.
jim-kb8ymf
The day that happens it will definately open a can of worms for the off road community, but in a good way.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 09:21 AM   #8
Jsawduste
Senior Member
 
Jsawduste's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-02-06
Location: New Baltimore
Posts: 663
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yetti View Post
www.michigan.gov
(To Print: use your browser's print function)
Release Date: May 30, 2002
Last Update: February 03, 2006
Off Road Vehicle Certification of ORV Privileges for Persons with a Disability Persons that meet the following criteria are permitted to operate licensed ATVs/ORVs less than 50" wide on forest roads that are open to public vehicular travel on state lands (including those not posted open to ORVs). Privileges do not extend to cross-country travel nor to areas, trails and roads specifically posted CLOSED to vehicle or ORV use, nor to the operation of an ORV within state game, wildlife, or research areas, federal forest lands, state parks, state recreation areas or Michigan trailways:
  • Those persons issued a valid temporary or permanent handicapper parking permit issued by the Secretary of State Office.
  • Those persons holding Permits to Hunt from a Standing Vehicle.
  • Those persons with a physicians certification for the following disabilities:
    • Loss of 1 or both legs or feet;
    • Inability to walk more than 200 feet without having to stop and rest;
    • Inability to walk without prolonged use of wheelchair, walker, crutches, braces or other devices to aide in mobility;
    • Lung disease from which the person's expiratory volume for 1 second is less than 1 liter when measured by spirometry;
    • Lung disease from which the person's arterial oxygen is less than 60 mm/hg of room air at rest;
    • Cardiovascular disease from which the person measures between 3 and 4 on the New York heart classification scale/
    • Cardiovascular disease from which a marked limitation of physical activity causes fatigue, palpitation, dyspnea or anginal pain;
    • Other disease or disorder including but not limited to severe arthritis or neurological-orthopedic impairment that creates a severe mobility limitation.
    • Click here for a copy of the Physicians certification of eligibility form.
  • Persons with obvious severe disabilities (i.e., paraplegics, quadriplegic).
Operation of the ORV is subject to licensing and all other requirements and restrictions, and shall only be at a speed and in a manner which does not degrade the environment. These privileges may extend to one companion of the disabled person serving as operator or passenger of the disabled person's ORV, if the ORV is designed for passenger use.





If you read the law above as an officer of the law, what do you expect the user to be carring to confirm his disability and eligability within the law?


On a serious note. I DO meet the requirements and have a handicapped plate on both the Jeep and the pickup.

But what I do not understand is "licensed" vehicle UNDER 50" wide.
What does licensed mean ? Name one street legal car or truck the meets the 50" wide rule ?

Somehow I doubt an ATV or ORV is going to get a SOS license plate.

So it would seem this law is worthless ?
Jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 11:33 AM   #9
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,384
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

It is writen withen the law for our state the Lower Penn. is ORV closed unless posted open. if you have an Handicapped tagged ATV/RUV/ORV that meets the requirements then you can operate on the roads that are assumed closed under that ruling. if you read the section its explained with little or no clarity to that fact. the state is very good at hiding the the fact its mostly legal in almost every area and goes to great pains to avoid you figuring it out.

theres even a second law that says a township may open an entire township for an individual that meets the requirements for thier ATV/ORV even if its posted closed. so there are loopholes in everything you just have to know where to look.

as for S.O.S. Plates Im still working on that, most ATV/RUVs come close, but from what I have seen some have made the requirements that converted them to street legal by adding d.o.t tires and safety glass windshields.
__________________
Yetti

Last edited by Yetti; August 19th, 2007 at 11:38 AM.
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM   #10
Jsawduste
Senior Member
 
Jsawduste's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-02-06
Location: New Baltimore
Posts: 663
iTrader: (15)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Yetti,
again thanks for the help. I also read your PM several tiimes. As I now understand it. A handicapped ORV sticker/placard/letter would be the requirement. NOT the fact that the vehicle is plated by the SOS.
Beyond the fact that the Jeep has a handicapped plate. It would not be legal due to the 50" wide rule.
However I could ride a quad with the handicapped ORV sticker and be legal.

My thoughts revolved around the need for a titled, plated street legal vehicle. None that I know of would fit into the 50" rule. Now a quad with a handicapped ORV sticker would not need to be plated.

Right ?

Interesting, in St. Helen the sheriff and the twp police have told me that because the Jeep has a handicapped plate. I could go ANYWHERE I wanted so long as it was not a protected area. Like say a DNR wetland.
Now the trick is to know what is considered a protected area .......
Jsawduste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2007, 06:54 PM   #11
Yetti
Buy a Fiat! Save the UAW!
 
Yetti's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: 20 minutes south of Hell...
Posts: 14,384
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I haven't heard the part about the Placard in a vehicle, but I suppose it could apply if the law allowed. I haven't heard of anyone having issues because a S.O.S. plated vehicle can go on the forest rds without a sticker.

Quote:
My thoughts revolved around the need for a titled, plated street legal vehicle. None that I know of would fit into the 50" rule. Now a quad with a handicapped ORV sticker would not need to be plated.

Right ?
as the law reads now you have to carry your placard on your quad, which is where the Blue ORV sticker should pick up. If your vehicle is parked in a Handicap space back at the lot and you get off the beatin trail then how do you show the law you are exempt under the law without carrying the placard? see how its a catch 22?
__________________
Yetti
Yetti is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Land Use > Rules, Regulations, Trail, and ORV Park Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:34 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.28973 seconds with 54 queries