ALso on my bronco ~ - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:18 AM   #1
equineolove
GeTtIE Up!!
 
Join Date: 01-04-06
Location: LO MI
Posts: 360
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default ALso on my bronco ~

my emergency break light comes on while i am driving!! there after a Rear Antilock light comes on and they stay on. ummm if i slam on my breaks the go off, but come back shortly after. it doesn't run bad or nothing when they are on besides my jerking! > >> bus so ummm is that just a faulty commection? it is awful he is falling apart. help!!
equineolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 20th, 2006, 10:51 AM   #2
Lothos
KD8GKB
 
Lothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: .5 past lightspeed
Posts: 6,506
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Lothos Send a message via AIM to Lothos Send a message via Yahoo to Lothos
Default

It means the spring/cable assembly for the e-brake is probably shot. The sensor is behind the dash I believe triggered by the pedal movement. So, with no spring to retain the brake pedal the pedal falls slightly for the light to come on. It's not hard to replace, but the back half requires dismantling the left rear brake drum to get at the cable end.
Lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:04 AM   #3
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,650
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Those symptoms can also be caused by low brake fluid. Acceleration sloshes fluid away from the switch, braking sloshes it back.

I've seen this on sevreal vehicles before, but know nothing specific about broncos..
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:06 AM   #4
Lothos
KD8GKB
 
Lothos's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: .5 past lightspeed
Posts: 6,506
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via ICQ to Lothos Send a message via AIM to Lothos Send a message via Yahoo to Lothos
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar
Those symptoms can also be caused by low brake fluid. Acceleration sloshes fluid away from the switch, braking sloshes it back.

I've seen this on sevreal vehicles before, but know nothing specific about broncos..

The E-brake is a cable driven system though unaffected by the fluid in the normal braking system. The only way fluid would cause the light to come on would be loss of pressure in the rear drum cylinder and the pads actually moving as a result to move the cable. It's very difficult for this to happen though really since the E-brake arm in the drum kicks the pads out when pulled and the spring on the outside of the drum pulls that level back out when released.
Lothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:20 AM   #5
Haggar
Covered in mud...
 
Haggar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Oxford, MI
Posts: 17,650
iTrader: (55)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Like I said, I have no specific bronco info. Don't know if its a ebrake speicfic light.

I design instrument clusters and used to design brake systems, so my info in generic. Most vehicle don't have a 'ebrake' light. They have a 'brake' like, which is a combination light which usually lights with the ebrake is on, and also when there is a loss of fluid in the master cylinder, or other system fault.

First step in diagnosing a 'brake' light should always be to check the fluid.
Haggar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 11:26 AM   #6
equineolove
GeTtIE Up!!
 
Join Date: 01-04-06
Location: LO MI
Posts: 360
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haggar
Like I said, I have no specific bronco info. Don't know if its a ebrake speicfic light.

I design instrument clusters and used to design brake systems, so my info in generic. Most vehicle don't have a 'ebrake' light. They have a 'brake' like, which is a combination light which usually lights with the ebrake is on, and also when there is a loss of fluid in the master cylinder, or other system fault.

First step in diagnosing a 'brake' light should always be to check the fluid.
thanks i will do that > i did pop a break line just back in jan so maybe it is low now that it is all restocked in there....i wish i could have a vehicle that didn't always break...oh well i still love him.
equineolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 02:47 PM   #7
Icebreaker88
Senior Member
 
Icebreaker88's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Warren, MI
Posts: 3,082
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

To eliminate the ebake as a cause there should be a wire going to the e-bake assembly under the dash at the e-brk pedal. . When you press the e-brake it just grounds the wire. You can unplug that wire to see if you e-brake switch is bad. if the light goes out it is in the e-brake switch if not then its somewhere else in the brake system.
__________________
[QUOTE=TurdBronco;1095911]I don't usually race cause it is still a focus.[/QUOTE]
Icebreaker88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 20th, 2006, 03:08 PM   #8
equineolove
GeTtIE Up!!
 
Join Date: 01-04-06
Location: LO MI
Posts: 360
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icebreaker88
To eliminate the ebake as a cause there should be a wire going to the e-bake assembly under the dash at the e-brk pedal. . When you press the e-brake it just grounds the wire. You can unplug that wire to see if you e-brake switch is bad. if the light goes out it is in the e-brake switch if not then its somewhere else in the brake system.
thanks
equineolove is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:53 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.13285 seconds with 45 queries