6 Reasons why God May Exist - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:07 PM   #1
Leanz
Full taste of tender
 
Leanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Oakland County, MI
Posts: 5,324
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Cool 6 Reasons why God May Exist

I'm not quite sure what i beleive in, im still trying to decide... but i will admit this made me think and i enjoyed reading it





Is There a God?
Does God exist? Is there proof of God? The following offers candid, straight-forward reasons to believe in the existence of God...

By Marilyn Adamson

Just once wouldn't you love for someone to simply show you the evidence for God's existence? No arm-twisting. No statements of, "You just have to believe." Well, here is an attempt to candidly offer some of the reasons which suggest that God exists.
But first consider this. If a person opposes even the possibility of there being a God, then any evidence can be rationalized or explained away. It is like if someone refuses to believe that people have walked on the moon, then no amount of information is going to change their thinking. Photographs of astronauts walking on the moon, interviews with the astronauts, moon rocks...all the evidence would be worthless, because the person has already concluded that people cannot go to the moon.
When it comes to the possibility of God's existence, the Bible says that there are people who have seen sufficient evidence, but they have suppressed the truth about God.1 On the other hand, for those who want to know God if he is there, he says, "You will seek me and find me; when you seek me with all your heart, I will be found by you."2 Before you look at the facts surrounding God's existence, ask yourself, If God does exist, would I want to know him? Here then, are some reasons supporting the existence of God...

1. The complexity of our planet points to a deliberate Designer who not only created our universe, but sustains it today. Many examples showing God's design could be given, possibly with no end. But here are a few:
The Earth...its size is perfect. The Earth's size and corresponding gravity holds a thin layer of mostly nitrogen and oxygen gases, only extending about 50 miles above the Earth's surface. If Earth were smaller, an atmosphere would be impossible, like the planet Mercury. If Earth were larger, its atmosphere would contain free hydrogen, like Jupiter.3 Earth is the only known planet equipped with an atmosphere of the right mixture of gases to sustain plant, animal and human life.
The Earth is located the right distance from the sun. Consider the temperature swings we encounter, roughly -30 degrees to +120 degrees. If the Earth were any further away from the sun, we would all freeze. Any closer and we would burn up. Even a fractional variance in the Earth's position to the sun would make life on Earth impossible. The Earth remains this perfect distance from the sun while it rotates around the sun at a speed of nearly 67,000 mph. It is also rotating on its axis, allowing the entire surface of the Earth to be properly warmed and cooled every day.
And our moon is the perfect size and distance from the Earth for its gravitational pull. The moon creates important ocean tides and movement so ocean waters do not stagnate, and yet our massive oceans are restrained from spilling over across the continents.4
Water...colorless, odorless and without taste, and yet no living thing can survive without it. Plants, animals and human beings consist mostly of water (about two-thirds of the human body is water). You'll see why the characteristics of water are uniquely suited to life:
It has an unusually high boiling point and freezing point. Water allows us to live in an environment of fluctuating temperature changes, while keeping our bodies a steady 98.6 degrees.
Water is a universal solvent. This property of water means that thousands of chemicals, minerals and nutrients can be carried throughout our bodies and into the smallest blood vessels.5
Water is also chemically neutral. Without affecting the makeup of the substances it carries, water enables food, medicines and minerals to be absorbed and used by the body.
Water has a unique surface tension. Water in plants can therefore flow upward against gravity, bringing life-giving water and nutrients to the top of even the tallest trees.
Water freezes from the top down and floats, so fish can live in the winter.
Ninety-seven percent of the Earth's water is in the oceans. But on our Earth, there is a system designed which removes salt from the water and then distributes that water throughout the globe. Evaporation takes the ocean waters, leaving the salt, and forms clouds which are easily moved by the wind to disperse water over the land, for vegetation, animals and people. It is a system of purification and supply that sustains life on this planet, a system of recycled and reused water.6
2. The human brain's complexity shows a higher intelligence behind it. The human brain simultaneously processes an amazing amount of information. Your brain takes in all the colors and objects you see, the temperature around you, the pressure of your feet against the floor, the sounds around you, the dryness of your mouth, even the texture of your keyboard. Your brain holds and processes all your emotions, thoughts and memories. At the same time your brain keeps track of the ongoing functions of your body like your breathing pattern, eyelid movement, hunger and movement of the muscles in your hands.
The human brain processes more than a million messages a second.7 Your brain weighs the importance of all this data, filtering out the relatively unimportant. This screening function is what allows you to focus and operate effectively in your world. A brain that deals with more than a million pieces of information every second, while evaluating its importance and allowing you to act on the most pertinent information... did it come about just by chance? Was it merely biological causes, perfectly forming the right tissue, blood flow, neurons, structure? The brain functions differently than other organs. There is an intelligence to it, the ability to reason, to produce feelings, to dream and plan, to take action, and relate to other people. How does one explain the human brain?
3. "Chance" or "natural causes" are insufficient explanations. The alternative to God existing is that all that exists around us came about by natural cause and random chance. If someone is rolling dice, the odds of rolling a pair of sixes is one thing. But the odds of spots appearing on blank dice is something else. What Pasteur attempted to prove centuries ago, science confirms, that life cannot arise from non-life. Where did human, animal, plant life come from?
Also, natural causes are an inadequate explanation for the amount of precise information contained in human DNA. A person who discounts God is left with the conclusion that all of this came about without cause, without design, and is merely good fortune. It is intellectually wanting to observe intricate design and attribute it to luck.
4. To state with certainty that there is no God, a person has to ignore the passion of an enormously vast number of people who are convinced that there is a God. This is not to say that if enough people believe something it is therefore true. Scientists, for example, have discovered new truths about the universe which overruled previous conclusions. But as science has progressed, no scientific discovery has countered the numerical likelihood of an intelligent mind being behind it all. In fact, the more science discovers about human life and the universe, the more complex and precisely designed we realize these to be. Rather than pointing away from God, evidence mounts further toward an intelligent source. But objective evidence is not all.
There is a much larger issue. Throughout history, billions of people in the world have attested to their firm, core convictions about God's existence--arrived at from their subjective, personal relationship with God. Millions today could give detailed account of their experience with God. They would point to answered prayer and specific, amazing ways God has met their needs, and guided them through important personal decisions. They would offer, not only a description of their beliefs, but detailed reports of God's actions in their lives. Many are sure that a loving God exists and has shown himself to be faithful to them. If you are a skeptic, can you say with certainty: "I am absolutely right and they all are wrong about God"?
5. We know God exists because he pursues us. He is constantly initiating and seeking for us to come to him. I was an atheist at one time. And like most atheists, the issue of people believing in God bothered me greatly. What is it about atheists that we would spend so much time, attention, and energy refuting something that we don't believe even exists?! What causes us to do that? When I was an atheist, I attributed my intentions as caring for those poor, disillusioned people...to help them realize their hope was completely ill-founded. To be honest, I also had another motive. As I challenged those who believed in God, I was deeply curious to see if they could convince me otherwise. Part of my quest was to become free from the question of God. If I could conclusively prove to believers that they were wrong, then the issue is off the table, and I would be free to go about my life.
I didn't realize that the reason the topic of God weighed so heavily on my mind, was because God was pressing the issue. I have come to find out that God wants to be known. He created us with the intention that we would know him. He has surrounded us with evidence of himself and he keeps the question of his existence squarely before us. It was as if I couldn't escape thinking about the possibility of God. In fact, the day I chose to acknowledge God's existence, my prayer began with, "Ok, you win..." It might be that the underlying reason atheists are bothered by people believing in God is because God is actively pursuing them.
I am not the only one who has experienced this. Malcolm Muggeridge, socialist and philosophical author, wrote, "I had a notion that somehow, besides questing, I was being pursued." C.S. Lewis said he remembered, "...night after night, feeling whenever my mind lifted even for a second from my work, the steady, unrelenting approach of Him whom I so earnestly desired not to meet. I gave in, and admitted that God was God, and knelt and prayed: perhaps, that night, the most dejected and reluctant convert in all of England."
Lewis went on to write a book titled, "Surprised by Joy" as a result of knowing God. I too had no expectations other than rightfully admitting God's existence. Yet over the following several months, I became amazed by his love for me.
6. Unlike any other revelation of God, Jesus Christ is the clearest, most specific picture of God pursuing us. Why Jesus? Look throughout the major world religions and you'll find that Buddha, Muhammad, Confucius and Moses all identified themselves as teachers or prophets. None of them ever claimed to be equal to God. Surprisingly, Jesus did. That is what sets Jesus apart from all the others. He said God exists and you're looking at him. Though he talked about his Father in heaven, it was not from the position of separation, but of very close union, unique to all humankind. Jesus said that anyone who had seen Him had seen the Father, anyone who believed in him, believed in the Father.
He said, "I am the light of the world, he who follows me will not walk in darkness, but will have the light of life."8 He claimed attributes belonging only to God: to be able to forgive people of their sin, free them from habits of sin, give people a more abundant life and give them eternal life in heaven. Unlike other teachers who focused people on their words, Jesus pointed people to himself. He did not say, "follow my words and you will find truth." He said, "I am the way, the truth, and the life, no one comes to the Father but through me."9
What proof did Jesus give for claiming to be divine? He did what people can't do. Jesus performed miracles. He healed people...blind, crippled, deaf, even raised a couple of people from the dead. He had power over objects...created food out of thin air, enough to feed crowds of several thousand people. He performed miracles over nature...walked on top of a lake, commanding a raging storm to stop for some friends. People everywhere followed Jesus, because he constantly met their needs, doing the miraculous. He said if you do not want to believe what I'm telling you, you should at least believe in me based on the miracles you're seeing.10
Jesus Christ showed God to be gentle, loving, aware of our self-centeredness and shortcomings, yet deeply wanting a relationship with us. Jesus revealed that although God views us as sinners, worthy of his punishment, his love for us ruled and God came up with a different plan. God himself took on the form of man and accepted the punishment for our sin on our behalf. Sounds ludicrous? Perhaps, but many loving fathers would gladly trade places with their child in a cancer ward if they could. The Bible says that the reason we would love God is because he first loved us.
Jesus died in our place so we could be forgiven. Of all the religions known to humanity, only through Jesus will you see God reaching toward humanity, providing a way for us to have a relationship with him. Jesus proves a divine heart of love, meeting our needs, drawing us to himself. Because of Jesus' death and resurrection, he offers us a new life today. We can be forgiven, fully accepted by God and genuinely loved by God. He says, "I have loved you with an everlasting love, therefore I have continued my faithfulness to you."11 This is God, in action.

Does God exist? If you want to know, investigate Jesus Christ. We're told that "God so loved the world that he gave his only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life."12
God does not force us to believe in him, though he could. Instead, he has provided sufficient proof of his existence for us to willingly respond to him. The earth's perfect distance from the sun, the unique chemical properties of water, the human brain, DNA, the number of people who attest to knowing God, the gnawing in our hearts and minds to determine if God is there, the willingness for God to be known through Jesus Christ. If you need to know more about Jesus and reasons to believe in him.

http://www.everychicowildcat.com/isthere.php
Leanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #2
runnerbabe
Senior Member
 
runnerbabe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-13-05
Location: romeo, mi
Posts: 389
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

runnerbabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:15 PM   #3
SkyyPunk
Lego Dude
 
SkyyPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-10-06
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Ummm

is all I got

Especially on this point:
To state with certainty that there is no God, a person has to ignore the passion of an enormously vast number of people who are convinced that there is a God

let me change a few words in that...
To state with certainty that Microsoft is not the best, a person has to ignore the passion of an enormously vast number of people who are convinced that Microsoft is the best

Funny thing is, it doesn't mean Microsoft is or isn't the best just because majority thinks they are (or better yet, don't know or care to know any better)

See anything odd?

Sorry but...that article is written for middle ground people who don't know better on their claims to convert them I think...or keep people who choose to ignore common sense that are already followers

"What Pasteur attempted to prove centuries ago, science confirms, that life cannot arise from non-life"
Umm...pretty sure science never confirmed that. Some may have come to the conclusion, but probably an equal amount or more have come to the opposite

Last edited by SkyyPunk; February 27th, 2007 at 11:24 PM.
SkyyPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:27 PM   #4
FORD FLARESIDE
Hockey, it is what it is!
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 22,319
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyyPunk View Post
Ummm

is all I got

Especially on this point:
To state with certainty that there is no God, a person has to ignore the passion of an enormously vast number of people who are convinced that there is a God

let me change a few words in that...
To state with certainty that Microsoft is not the best, a person has to ignore the passion of an enormously vast number of people who are convinced that Microsoft is the best

Funny thing is, it doesn't mean Microsoft is or isn't the best just because majority thinks they are (or better yet, don't know or care to know any better)

See anything odd?

Sorry but...that article is written for middle ground people who don't know better on their claims to convert them I think...

"What Pasteur attempted to prove centuries ago, science confirms, that life cannot arise from non-life"
Umm...pretty sure science never confirmed that. Some may have come to the conclusion, but probably an equal amount or more have come to the opposite
The question is, do I think anything is ODD,........Yes!!!!! I don't think I'm going to burn in Hell if I use a Mac!!!!!!!!

..........but Dis God, and your rear end might get a little toasty. That is if you believe in him.
I just have to say one thing here..........for a 4x4 forum there sure are a lot of you out there trying to lamb baste the Christians.....Will give you a clue. We have faith......we don't need or care about your comments, its not going to change our minds
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:28 PM   #5
Grifter
Human Hunter
 
Grifter's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: back in "slow"chester
Posts: 1,365
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

good post leanz,

i grew up in your run of the mill "christian" house hold...

left for the army to figure out what life and the world where all about..

2 combat tours later i am a firm believer that GOD exists and is active in our world whether we want to see it or not...

finaly this semster i am sitting thru a natural science geology course at the occ.. cant say i havent given every theory a chance.. things that stand out to me in this class include the fact that my instructor repeatedly states the basis of these sciences is a bunch of assumption that if ever proven wrong will destroy science's credibility...

yeah so i can base my beliefs on the assumptions of man

or i can belive in the supreme all knowning being we call God..

my thoughts,

Grifter

oh yea leanz if you ever wanna discuss some of this religion stuff..give me holler ..i would be willing to share my outlook on the matter..
Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:35 PM   #6
SkyyPunk
Lego Dude
 
SkyyPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-10-06
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FORD FLARESIDE View Post


The question is, do I think anything is ODD,........Yes!!!!! I don't think I'm going to burn in Hell if I use a Mac!!!!!!!!

..........but Dis God, and your rear end might get a little toasty. That is if you believe in him.
I just have to say one thing here..........for a 4x4 forum there sure are a lot of you out there trying to lamb baste the Christians.....Will give you a clue. We have faith......we don't need or care about your comments, its not going to change our minds
Whoa whoa whoa! I am not trying to change your minds, just saying this particular article which claims to be an argument for showing God exists is full of extreme bias, and plays on peoples lack of better knowledge

Faith is great, no doubt, we all need it. This article, however, is junk... that was my point

If you are going to believe in God, believe in it because you have faith in what you hold true. Don't believe in it because of this crud
SkyyPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:36 PM   #7
Leanz
Full taste of tender
 
Leanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Oakland County, MI
Posts: 5,324
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

I never said i agreed with everything this article stated. I beleive in evolution. how the writer stated the earth is the perfect distance away, shape and size with the right temp so we can thrive here- we evolved to live there. I dont beleive the earth was 'designed' perfecty to accomidate us or vice versa.

its just a good topic to get minds thinking, and maybe touching upon areas readers might havn't hit yet

Last edited by Leanz; February 27th, 2007 at 11:40 PM.
Leanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:41 PM   #8
sglide
co captain of cubes pants
 
sglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-12-05
Location: kalkaska bitch
Posts: 4,117
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

dont know if i belive or not but im prety sure i dont believe in any omnipotent being that would be so week as to condem non beleavers to any sort of hell..
god must be prety insecure
sglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:43 PM   #9
FORD FLARESIDE
Hockey, it is what it is!
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 22,319
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkyyPunk View Post
Whoa whoa whoa! I am not trying to change your minds, just saying this particular article which claims to be an argument for showing God exists is full of extreme bias, and plays on peoples lack of better knowledge

Faith is great, no doubt, we all need it. This article, however, is junk... that was my point

If you are going to believe in God, believe in it because you have faith in what you hold true. Don't believe in it because of this crud
Sorry,.................just the Mac joke was directed for your quote

The other part was directed at well..............they know who they are.
Sorry I hi-jacked it.

I'm just a little confused on why religion is such a popular subject on a 4x4 E-board. I can see however why religion would be important to 4x4 drivers when you just topped test hill at Silver Lake with your throttle stuck wide open...........

Last edited by FORD FLARESIDE; February 27th, 2007 at 11:47 PM. Reason: typo
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:47 PM   #10
Leanz
Full taste of tender
 
Leanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Oakland County, MI
Posts: 5,324
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

hey, the title clearly states the topic - if you do not want to read it you dont have to its just interesting
Leanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:51 PM   #11
FORD FLARESIDE
Hockey, it is what it is!
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 22,319
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanz View Post
hey, the title clearly states the topic - if you do not want to read it you dont have to its just interesting
You are absolutely right, I will shut up now.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 27th, 2007, 11:57 PM   #12
Xrated
ASSHOLE
 
Xrated's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-15-06
Location: richmond ,mi
Posts: 932
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Everyone has to believe in something. I think it has always weighed heavily on what happens when you expire..
Xrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:45 AM   #13
Guitardrumr
Senior Member
 
Guitardrumr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: Romulus, MI
Posts: 1,815
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Guitardrumr
Default

Purely as counterpoint for the article (which seems to be based upon creationism, though I could be mistaken), I'll post this, which was orginally posted in a forum I forgot the name of a long time ago.


Quote:
So, I get home Friday night from getting the crap pounded out of me in Kung Fu. I'm tired, I'm hungry, I'm just about to start making dinner, and there's a knock at my door. I open it.

On the opposite side of said door stands a young woman in her mid-to-late 30's, blonde hair, wearing a long, dark trenchcoat; along with a young man in roughtly the same age bracket. He was wearing a toque, so I don't know what colour his hair was. They were both standing there looking awfully self-righteous, and I immediately thought: "aw, crap. Not again."

"Excuse me, sir, we were wondering if we could borrow a few minutes of your time."

"That depends; how are you planning on giving them back?"

"Pardon?"

"Never mind. What can I do for you?" I replied, deciding on the spot that they apparently had no sense of humour.

This was gonna be fun.

"As I'm sure you're aware, the Dover area School Board has made Intelligent Design a part of its science curriculum as an alternative evolutionary theory. We were wondering if you would support a motion to make similar changes to Calgary's public school curriculum."

"Well, public schools do not generally have religion classes..."

"No, we would like to include it in the science curriculum."

"Really?"

"Absolutely, sir. Evolution is a theory (and you could actually hear him stress the word) whose time has passed. It is time to consider alternatives." The man told me.

I glanced down at my watch. I decided that I could spare a few minutes, so I said: "very well, I'll hear you out. Please explain to me the scientific theory of Intelligent Design."

"Intelligent Design suggests that as opposed to a Big Bang..."

"Wait a minute," I held up my hand, "back up a second. I thought you were talking about Intelligent Design as an alternative to Evolution. Why are you discussing the Big Bang?"

"Well, Evolutionary theory (and yes, he stressed it again) states that the universe began with the Big Bang and..."

"No it doesn't."

"Excuse me?"

"Evolution is a biological concept; the idea that we developed and became more complex organisms over a process of mutation and propagation of beneficial genes. The Big Bang is a cosmological concept; the idea that all energy of the universe once occupied a single point in space. Two very different concepts. So, are you suggesting that Intelligent Design is an alternative to Evolution, or an alternative to the Big Bang?"

"Both."

"But you just said that you wanted to teach it in the science curriculum as an alternative to Evolution. Since I have never read any textbook on evolution which claims to have all the steps between the Big Bang and an Otter, I think it's somewhat silly to be talking about the Big Bang in terms of Evolution. To the best of my knowledge, there is no cosmological theory of Evolution, and I've yet to read a textbook on evolution which even mentions the Big Bang."

"But sir, don't you think that students should..."

"Tell you what, how about we start somewhere where Evolution and Intelligent Design actually have a common ground: say, the first appearance of life on earth."

He seemed a little flustered now, and I couldn't help but note that the blonde hadn't spoken since she asked if she could borrow a few minutes of my time, she was just standing there looking pious. "Well, Intelligent Design theory suggests that a supreme being (for some reason, throughout this conversation, he avoided actually mentioning God) created all life on earth approximately 6000 years ago and that life has been unchanged since that time."

"Okay, explain the scientific approach you used to develop this theory," I told him, "start with your falsifiable hypothesis, and move on from there."

"Well, we merely suggested an alternative explanation to the existing data..."

"Oh, so what predictions does Intelligent Design make about future observations?"

"Excuse me?"

"Well, the whole point of a scientific theory is to make reasonable and evidence-supported predictions about what we will observe in the future. That's what makes science a continuous process. Each question we answer raises more questions. So what unanswered questions does Intelligent Design leave?"

"None. It's a complete system which explains everything."

"Then it's not a scientific theory."

"What?"

"The whole point of a scientific theory is that it doesn't have all the answers; it's a jumping off point for people to add to or modify that theory. As such, the theory of evolution has been tested quite possibly more than any theory in scientific history."

"Well the Intelligent Design theory (and notably, he didn't stress the word this time) doesn't have that problem."

I shrugged, "it's not a problem. This is how science is done. We make observations about the world around us, we provide an hypothesis which explains those observations, then we perform experiments to determine if our hypothesis is supported by further data. So, by your own admission, you don't have a scientific theory here; the absolute best that you can claim is that you have a hypothesis, and considering that it requires the action of a Supreme Being, it may well not be falsifiable; which, by your own words, makes Intelligent Design theory unscientific; ergo, it has no place in a science course. When you have performed some kind of experimentation which supports that hypothesis, then I'll most definitely support a motion to permit the teaching of intelligent design in science class. Until then, I'm sorry, but no. If you want to have it taught in some kind of comparative religion class, on the other hand, that's a different matter."

"But sir," he held up a hand before I closed the door, "do you really want our children to be taught as fact that we descended from monkeys?"

"Apes."

"Pardon?"

"Apes. We descended from apes, not monkeys; and if you're going to lecture people on biology, you should at the very least know that distinction."

"But my point stands, sir. Do you want our children to learn that we descended from apes?"

"You prefer the idea that we descended from dirt?" I shrugged.

"Excuse me?"

"So in addition to an ignorance of the scientific process, biology, and the theory of Evolution, you also lack an understanding of the book of Genesis; the very documentation you're offering as an alternative?"

"But sir..."

"Thank you for your time. I'm hungry and I need to make dinner." I closed the door.

I stood there for a few minutes to see if they would knock again. They didn't.

I tell you, I was in the absolute best mood for the rest of the evening...

Now, that stated...I can't say I believe in God, but I don't think I can say I'm certain that He doesn't exist. My way of thinking tends towards the likelihood of more than one God, but I can't really define it any better than that. I just don't see how one being, no matter how powerful, intelligent, benevolent, or forgiving, being able to watch over things as much as the original article seems to state.


...Please don't flame me...
Guitardrumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:51 AM   #14
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas
 
Monkeyevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,988
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil
Default

This thread is going to get huge *lol*

Evolution is a crock of BS.
__________________
JcrOffroad
Zoom Zoom!
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 12:59 AM   #15
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,801
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I believe in God. I believe he sent his son Jesus Christ to die for us. I have witnessed Gods work, and it truly is amazing. God is definitely mysterious to those who do not know him, but once you know God, you have unshakable faith.

Hopefully some remember my thread a while back.

I think evolution has a lot of holes.
FlatFender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 01:49 AM   #16
Leanz
Full taste of tender
 
Leanz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Oakland County, MI
Posts: 5,324
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post
This thread is going to get huge *lol*

Evolution is a crock of BS.


NOT ANYMORE SINCE BUTTMUNCH (spro) MOVED IT
Leanz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:19 AM   #17
GerkTJ
Senior Member
 
GerkTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: ida, mi
Posts: 1,064
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
I believe in God. I believe he sent his son Jesus Christ to die for us. I have witnessed Gods work, and it truly is amazing. God is definitely mysterious to those who do not know him, but once you know God, you have unshakable faith.

Hopefully some remember my thread a while back.

I think evolution has a lot of holes.
Amen to that!
GerkTJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 08:28 AM   #18
SkyyPunk
Lego Dude
 
SkyyPunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-10-06
Location: Belleville, MI
Posts: 1,655
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Coincidentally, someone sent me these pics this morning...mind you the first I do not know much at all if its true, as the last time I really read the bible was like 15yrs ago


SkyyPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 09:02 AM   #19
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,878
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitardrumr View Post
Purely as counterpoint for the article (which seems to be based upon creationism, though I could be mistaken), I'll post this, which was orginally posted in a forum I forgot the name of a long time ago.





Now, that stated...I can't say I believe in God, but I don't think I can say I'm certain that He doesn't exist. My way of thinking tends towards the likelihood of more than one God, but I can't really define it any better than that. I just don't see how one being, no matter how powerful, intelligent, benevolent, or forgiving, being able to watch over things as much as the original article seems to state.


...Please don't flame me...
awesome read.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 28th, 2007, 11:43 AM   #20
Guitardrumr
Senior Member
 
Guitardrumr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-17-05
Location: Romulus, MI
Posts: 1,815
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Guitardrumr
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
I think evolution has a lot of holes.
MMmm...not really. See, this is where most people will start arguing with me, but just bear with me for a second here...

See, most people hear Theory of Evolution, and immediately block out everything being said and start thinking of ways to argue with coming from monkeys. Besides the fact that we come from apes, and not monkeys, most people fail to hear the most crucial part of the name. See, it's not just the Theory of Evolution. It's the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection. And incidentally, it's all but fact. We have proof of early human life, that can be traced squarely back to to us, Homo Sapiens Sapiens. Granted, there are a few holes in our own evolution that we haven't found, but we also have evidence of the evolution of other species. Honestly, there is far too much evidence in favor of Evolution by Natural Selection for it to be conclusively proven wrong. At least, not without a massive effort, and some sort of explanation for the various forms of early human life.

Again though, the Theory of Evolution by Natural Selection does not disprove the existence of God. Nor would I want it to, really. Faith is a wonderful thing to have, and it can get you through some really tough times.
Guitardrumr is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:57 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.58834 seconds with 81 queries