D14 enduro series? Anyone? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old July 16th, 2014, 01:18 AM   #1
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default D14 enduro series? Anyone?

Anyone on here race in the D14 enduro series? I just recently learned of this series and I'm interested in trying it out. From what I have gathered from the few sites that come up it seems like a good time. I figure it's at least worth trying.
Is it worth my time?
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old July 18th, 2014, 12:52 AM   #2
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Anyone?
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #3
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 4,120
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Motorcycles are dangerous.
Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:43 AM   #4
Beast
Been there, Done that!
 
Beast's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-08-06
Location: Silver Lake Sand Dunes
Posts: 207
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

If just starting out I would recommend to try and run a few of the D14 harescrambles first before trying to tackle an enduro. Harescrambles are through the woods like enduro except they do not have timed sections. It is just a straight race, where an enduro you have to keep time on a 26mph pace.
Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 09:54 AM   #5
ScOoTeR
hoo dat. wat.
 
ScOoTeR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 21,577
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

@liv2mx
__________________
@clarkstoncracker
ScOoTeR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:12 AM   #6
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,374
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've always wanted to, then I realized stopping every 15 minutes to take your helmet off because you're all tired and sweaty isn't how racing works.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:10 PM   #7
skife
Senior Member
 
skife's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-07
Location: cedar springs mi
Posts: 5,119
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife
Default

how out of shape are you?
skife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 05:48 PM   #8
curt1656
Praise the lowered
 
curt1656's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-26-07
Location: WTFWJD?
Posts: 2,920
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

I've done a few D14 enduros
(Several years ago). Don't worry about timekeeping your first/second race. Pace yourself if you can or hang with somebody slightly faster. Have fun with it, even if you win your class you only end up with a 6 dollar trophy, Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
curt1656 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:44 PM   #9
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strangler View Post
Motorcycles are dangerous.
Yes but so much fun!!
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 18th, 2014, 10:54 PM   #10
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beast View Post
If just starting out I would recommend to try and run a few of the D14 harescrambles first before trying to tackle an enduro. Harescrambles are through the woods like enduro except they do not have timed sections. It is just a straight race, where an enduro you have to keep time on a 26mph pace.
There is an enduro on the 9th about 20min from my house figured it would be a cheep way to try it out. If I like it I'll try some of the other D14 events.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
I've always wanted to, then I realized stopping every 15 minutes to take your helmet off because you're all tired and sweaty isn't how racing works.
I think you should consult a doctor if your tired and sweaty enough to take your helmet off after only 15 mins of riding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by curt1656 View Post
I've done a few D14 enduros
(Several years ago). Don't worry about timekeeping your first/second race. Pace yourself if you can or hang with somebody slightly faster. Have fun with it, even if you win your class you only end up with a 6 dollar trophy, Lol.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea I'm not to concerned with keeping time my first race. I will try my best to do it right, but will probably just end up trying to pass everyone and have a good time riding on land not usually available to the public.



Thank you to everyone who commented. Hopefully others will give their thoughts on D14 enduros.
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2014, 09:50 PM   #11
Dwalker
Newbie
 
Join Date: 03-28-13
Location: Sandusky, Mi
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Raced both Hare Scrambles and Enduros for a few years. Might as well race motocross if you race scrambles, pretty much a three hour motocross. Enduros are true woods riding. Fast guys tend to run mid pack so pick a later row so there is an established trail and treat it like a fast trail ride. Remember to move over for fast guys and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about timekeeping until you have run a couple races, most courses are laid out so only the best will zero the checks anyways. Wish I could do it again but now I am an old man wearing two knee braces : )
Dwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 08:22 AM   #12
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,231
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN HASSENGER View Post


Yea I'm not to concerned with keeping time my first race. I will try my best to do it right, but will probably just end up trying to pass everyone and have a good time riding on land not usually available to the public.



Thank you to everyone who commented. Hopefully others will give their thoughts on D14 enduros.
Oh, so you would rather attempt to screw up the race for everyone else than ride it correctly...ya makes sense to pass everyone in a race when speed is not your overall goal. I'm sure you will look like a pro out there, have fun
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:06 AM   #13
Dwalker
Newbie
 
Join Date: 03-28-13
Location: Sandusky, Mi
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

People think that a 30 mph average is slow. ; )
Dwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:13 PM   #14
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwalker View Post
Raced both Hare Scrambles and Enduros for a few years. Might as well race motocross if you race scrambles, pretty much a three hour motocross. Enduros are true woods riding. Fast guys tend to run mid pack so pick a later row so there is an established trail and treat it like a fast trail ride. Remember to move over for fast guys and enjoy yourself. Don't worry about timekeeping until you have run a couple races, most courses are laid out so only the best will zero the checks anyways. Wish I could do it again but now I am an old man wearing two knee braces : )

That's my plan to get in a later group so I don't get lost, see where I'm at with the first couple check points. Find out I'm way to slow and from there on just try to catch the next person infront of me, get hurt riding over my abilities and call it a day.

I don't have the ability to race motocross "Wish I did".
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2014, 10:18 PM   #15
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
Oh, so you would rather attempt to screw up the race for everyone else than ride it correctly...ya makes sense to pass everyone in a race when speed is not your overall goal. I'm sure you will look like a pro out there, have fun
I don't think I would screw up anything for the others if I fail to keep pace. If anything I would be helping them by not keeping pace. Not that I could ride fast enough to even keep up anyway. I'll just have as much fun as I can and see what happens. thanks
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 02:18 PM   #16
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,231
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN HASSENGER View Post
I don't think I would screw up anything for the others if I fail to keep pace. If anything I would be helping them by not keeping pace. Not that I could ride fast enough to even keep up anyway. I'll just have as much fun as I can and see what happens. thanks
I say you will...time keeping is an art in and of itself...by you passing people that you think you are faster than then to come to find out you have become a trail tampon later down the road screws with people races. It's not to say you don't pass people, but I think you need to get a couple under your belt to see how they are really ran. Enduros are all about a pace...a pace which sounds slow, but in reality I highly doubt you will be able to keep up. Then through in a couple of resets in there and your head will be spinning
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 04:37 PM   #17
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I agree that me passing or well trying too could mess with peoples heads causing them to think that they are off their pace, but if they make that mistake and change their pace that's their fault not mine. I ran cross country for 3 years in high school and running 3.1 miles is all about pace and being able to keep it. If someone faster passed me (which they did cuz I was slow) didn't mean I ran faster it just meant I kept my pace and ran my race.
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 06:29 PM   #18
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,231
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTIN HASSENGER View Post
I agree that me passing or well trying too could mess with peoples heads causing them to think that they are off their pace, but if they make that mistake and change their pace that's their fault not mine. I ran cross country for 3 years in high school and running 3.1 miles is all about pace and being able to keep it. If someone faster passed me (which they did cuz I was slow) didn't mean I ran faster it just meant I kept my pace and ran my race.
You have no idea on what keeping pace in an enduro is...
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 08:20 PM   #19
MARTIN HASSENGER
BRONCATRON
 
MARTIN HASSENGER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-09
Location: three rivers mi
Posts: 345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I guess I'll find out then. Thanks
MARTIN HASSENGER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 22nd, 2014, 09:45 PM   #20
Dwalker
Newbie
 
Join Date: 03-28-13
Location: Sandusky, Mi
Posts: 13
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Try the national in Mathews, there is no timekeeping involved at Nationals. They are fun, just point a to b as fast as you can. Usually around six sections with transfer miles around 60 to 80 total. Whatever you do relax and enjoy, I check Moto Tally all the time to keep up on old riding buddies, I will watch for your name, C class I assume, what age ?
Dwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.30283 seconds with 81 queries