movie/video editing? - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Pictures and Video
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Pictures and Video A forum for 4x4 related photos and videos

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:26 PM   #1
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,020
iTrader: (61)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default movie/video editing?

What's everyone using?

I've tried a few different ones and either they are way overcomplicated or it takes damn near a day to burn the final to disk. And half the time it fails. Currently using windows 7.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 23rd, 2014, 02:39 PM   #2
93yj06unlimited
Senior Member
 
93yj06unlimited's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-02-09
Location: Scotts, Mi
Posts: 493
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I also would like to know. I used Muvee movie maker and windows movie maker before. Now I have Pinnacle Studios 16 Ultimate movie maker. I got one DVD out of it then they came out with an update and it will not allow me to burn dvd's anymore. I uninstalled the whole program and reinstalled it but same thing every time. I can transfer to flash drive . Other than this issue it has a ton of editing and creation features, it even came with a Green screen . I bought it because I was told it was about the best out there but found out the earlier versions worked well but the 16 Ultimate was riddled with bugs, hence the update but now I can't burn a DVD . It comes with literally hundreds of sound effects and a lot of video effects also.
93yj06unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:21 AM   #3
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,020
iTrader: (61)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Still haven't bought anything. Looking at getting a new computer plus what program to use for video movie editing. Just looking for something to past the time.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 08:45 AM   #4
Andy72
future ffa-er
 
Andy72's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-10-10
Location: out on the farm
Posts: 803
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I would look into Sony Vegas. I have used older versions of that with pretty good results.

One thing you must understand is that this shit takes a really long time. Especially if you're talking about burning DVDs.
Andy72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 30th, 2014, 09:20 AM   #5
huntertim214
Member
 
huntertim214's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-21-11
Location: Pinckney, MI
Posts: 98
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've used quite a few different editing programs over the years. Sony Vegas Pro is good and has a lot more features for audio stuff than most, but withouth a doubt I would say for any windows based editing my favorite that I've used is Adobe Premiere Pro. The Premiere Elements (cheaper hobby version) is good for home type editing. Pinnacle is also a pretty decent hobby version, although i haven't used 16. If you're going to buy a computer just for editing or photograpghy a Mac with Final Cut Pro program is by far the best way to go, but unless you are really going all out it's probably too expensive. But the imovie program for Macs is probably the best hobby type/cheap program out there...if you bite the bullet to get a Mac of course.
huntertim214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:54 AM   #6
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy72 View Post
I would look into Sony Vegas. I have used older versions of that with pretty good results.



One thing you must understand is that this shit takes a really long time. Especially if you're talking about burning DVDs.

Yep, editing and the actual formatting and burning video clips to DVDs takes time...lots of it. The only good thing is that most of the time is taken up by formatting/encoding process. Start the process, walk away and an hour or so later it's done. But editing video to make short clips isn't so bad.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L –0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 01:58 AM   #7
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntertim214 View Post
I've used quite a few different editing programs over the years. Sony Vegas Pro is good and has a lot more features for audio stuff than most, but withouth a doubt I would say for any windows based editing my favorite that I've used is Adobe Premiere Pro. The Premiere Elements (cheaper hobby version) is good for home type editing. Pinnacle is also a pretty decent hobby version, although i haven't used 16. If you're going to buy a computer just for editing or photograpghy a Mac with Final Cut Pro program is by far the best way to go, but unless you are really going all out it's probably too expensive. But the imovie program for Macs is probably the best hobby type/cheap program out there...if you bite the bullet to get a Mac of course.

Get a MacBook and use iMovie. It's easy to use and works.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L –0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 04:56 AM   #8
bigblockford79
Big Block Ranger
 
bigblockford79's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: Hamilton, MI
Posts: 2,739
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This is the software that I use http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...v=product+view

Interface and functionality are quite similar to imovie.
__________________
If you can read this, thank a teacher. If you can read it while pooping, thank Bill Gates!

"A girls butt hole is like a 9 volt battery. You know its wrong, but eventually you put your tongue on it."
bigblockford79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:23 AM   #9
CheapThrillB2
FAWK YEAH!!
 
CheapThrillB2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-06
Location: Middleville, MI
Posts: 31,020
iTrader: (61)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightKrawler View Post
Yep, editing and the actual formatting and burning video clips to DVDs takes time...lots of it. The only good thing is that most of the time is taken up by formatting/encoding process. Start the process, walk away and an hour or so later it's done. But editing video to make short clips isn't so bad.
Right now, the walk away part takes multiple hours, then after multiple hours, it prompts an error and stops altogether.
CheapThrillB2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 1st, 2014, 06:36 AM   #10
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,454
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

I've used Vegas for years. While it is complicated to learn, it is extremely powerful.

Whenever I need to know how to do a new kind of edit, I can usually find a good youtube tutorial explaining it.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2nd, 2014, 06:19 AM   #11
NightKrawler
Carnage Canyon
 
NightKrawler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-26-07
Location: Haslett, MI
Posts: 2,219
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CheapThrillB2 View Post
Right now, the walk away part takes multiple hours, then after multiple hours, it prompts an error and stops altogether.
That is always very frustrating. I very rarely have had that problem with the Mac software. It's one of the main reasons I switched from a windows pc to a mac, to do pictures, video and music. The windows software just plain sucked and all the crap running in the background made the process even slower. Having said that I never tried Vegas with the windows pc before I gave up and switched.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
I've used Vegas for years. While it is complicated to learn, it is extremely powerful.

Whenever I need to know how to do a new kind of edit, I can usually find a good youtube tutorial explaining it.
Youtube is the best learning tool out there. It's the only way I would ever be able to figure out Photoshop…the good version. If they ever put out a manual in print about photoshop it would probably be several thousand pages.
__________________
http://www.glfwda.org/
SUPPORT THE SPORT!
--l ,[____],
l---L –0lllllll0-
()_) ()_)--o-)_) .......
NightKrawler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Pictures and Video

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:31 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.20845 seconds with 54 queries