Generac 10kw standby unit - display unit, low hours. $1400 - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Great Lakes 4x4 Marketplace > Completed Sales
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Completed Sales A place to find the market value on parts/vehicles

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 5th, 2014, 05:51 PM   #21
techman
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 09-04-06
Location: SE MI
Posts: 688
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmetzg03 View Post
Depending on the insulation a size 10 copper can be rated for 40 amps and be within code. Type NM wire (Romex) is rated a lot lower than some other types of wire like THHN or MTW.

(6 or 8 is always a better option)
It's NM-B, while the circuit would never see 40A, it's not worth the risk. I need to decide if I want to go through the work to replacing it. We lose power quite frequently, it's a pain to drag out the portable.
techman is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:39 AM   #22
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,449
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmetzg03 View Post
Depending on the insulation a size 10 copper can be rated for 40 amps and be within code. Type NM wire (Romex) is rated a lot lower than some other types of wire like THHN or MTW.

(6 or 8 is always a better option)

I enjoy this debate, But no inspector will side with you.


Unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or (G), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed the requirements of (D)(1) through (D)(7) after any correction factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied [240.4(D)]. Conductor sizes covered by this section include 18 through 10 AWG copper and 12 through 10 AWG aluminum and copper-clad aluminum

#10 THHN @ 90C does not equate to 40A in his situation.



hint: generator load is considered continuous.
__________________

Last edited by clarkstoncracker; April 7th, 2014 at 06:49 AM.
clarkstoncracker is offline  
Old April 7th, 2014, 06:40 AM   #23
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,449
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by drew454u View Post
Do you deal these CC? I'm gonna be looking for a bigger one here soon and would I get a better price through you or just going online? Thanks.
you will get a much better deal by contacting me.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline  
Old April 8th, 2014, 09:44 AM   #24
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,449
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Sorry for the delay, but I responded to all the pm's.

This will NOT start a 5 ton ac unit.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline  
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:09 AM   #25
cmetzg03
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
cmetzg03's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-11
Location: White Lake/roscommon
Posts: 6,771
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
I enjoy this debate, But no inspector will side with you.


Unless specifically permitted in 240.4(E) or (G), the overcurrent protection shall not exceed the requirements of (D)(1) through (D)(7) after any correction factors for ambient temperature and number of conductors have been applied [240.4(D)]. Conductor sizes covered by this section include 18 through 10 AWG copper and 12 through 10 AWG aluminum and copper-clad aluminum

#10 THHN @ 90C does not equate to 40A in his situation.



hint: generator load is considered continuous.

Lol I was just saying

I can't debate this it's out of my norm. I deal with dc at work 600 and 1200 amp systems that feed -48 volt dc power supplies. Red is negative black or sometimes blue is positive.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
Man, this site was so much better before cmetzg03 joined
cmetzg03 is offline  
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:35 AM   #26
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,710
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmetzg03 View Post
Lol I was just saying

I can't debate this it's out of my norm. I deal with dc at work 600 and 1200 amp systems that feed -48 volt dc power supplies. Red is negative black or sometimes blue is positive.
That must really fukc up the automotive guys.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline  
Old April 8th, 2014, 10:22 PM   #27
TJontherox
Mall Rated
 
TJontherox's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: Sterling Hgts, MI
Posts: 1,483
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to TJontherox
Default

PM sent
TJontherox is offline  
 
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Great Lakes 4x4 Marketplace > Completed Sales

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.12357 seconds with 42 queries