Found a new DR to hate. - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:31 PM   #1
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,211
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default Found a new DR to hate.

Sitting here at the foot dr. I'm in for plantar fasciitis (torn tendon) in the arch of my foot. Yes, this is quite painful. I Think I injured it running. Anyway DR. suggested a cortisone shot, to which I agreed. So in he comes, with a spike full of what looks to be milk. I ask " will this be painful?" I thought I already knew the answer. He said "This will be the worst shot of your entire life." Nervously, my voice squeaks out "really?!" He responds flatly with the affirmative "really." He warns me not to kick. Come on how bad can it be? Naked foot in cold hands, lying flat on my back, in goes this instrument of torture into the arch of my foot. Oh...my... gawwdd ! Unbelievable pain. Over and over, slowly changing angles, pumping the steroid in to my foot. It seemed like forever, even though it probably it was 30 seconds or so. The dentist has nothing on this guy. I now realize that I could have avoided this if I would have babied my foot at the first twinge of pain. Instead for a few weeks I ran on it, didn't ice it and stood on it all day at work hoping it would just get better. So here is the public service announcement part of my post: please, take care of your feet, much pain awaits if you abuse them. You've been warned.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:35 PM   #2
fordbronco
nanna
 
fordbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-11
Location: Marlette/Flint
Posts: 6,873
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Cool story, this could be a good novel. How does your foot feel now?
fordbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:46 PM   #3
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,211
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Pretty good. I can walk on it now, could barely do that before.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 07:55 PM   #4
Christmas Cookie
rack tap re-rack click
 
Christmas Cookie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 13,530
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

You should say you have an inflamed tendon, not torn...if it was torn. You would have had surgery not a shot
Christmas Cookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:02 PM   #5
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,557
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

I got the same injury when the Ducati kicked back on me.

Hobbled me for a week, I just kept the weight off and wrapped in an ace bandage. must've got it soon enough because I didn't have to go to the doctor.

But either way- foot problems are no joke.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:07 PM   #6
Trutz
Regulator
 
Trutz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-09-12
Location: Dewitt, MI
Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I guess at least he was honest with you up front. That did give you a minute to mentally prepare. I hate it when they downplay something and it hurts like hell. then you feel like a wus.

In college I did a 1 1/2 flip off the three meter board and landed sideways. The impact on the side of my head blew my eardrum completely. I went to the hospital where they shot me full of Demerol and sent me to Lansing because they had no one at Gratiot Memorial to handle such an emergency. I got to Lansing and they looked at my head and shot me full of Demerol again (assuming I guess I must have been in a lot of pain). Anyhow, they could do nothing for me either so I had to see a specialist the next day. My ear was caked with blood so they flushed it with something to clean it up and then used a VACUUM gadget to suck the blood out. I remember excrutiating pain, seeing red, hearing my mother say something about how pale I looked and then the next thing I know I was on the floor looking up. No warning about pain or anything...they should have at least belted me in the seat. The absolute worst pain ever. I wish they would have told me the pain would be like I was being nailed to the wall through the side of my head.
Trutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #7
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,755
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I'm going to assume that all the post so far have been men.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:38 PM   #8
stinkpickle
bitter clinger
 
stinkpickle's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-21-07
Location: Millbury, OH
Posts: 1,211
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trutz View Post
I guess at least he was honest with you up front. That did give you a minute to mentally prepare. I hate it when they downplay something and it hurts like hell. then you feel like a wus.



In college I did a 1 1/2 flip off the three meter board and landed sideways. The impact on the side of my head blew my eardrum completely. I went to the hospital where they shot me full of Demerol and sent me to Lansing because they had no one at Gratiot Memorial to handle such an emergency. I got to Lansing and they looked at my head and shot me full of Demerol again (assuming I guess I must have been in a lot of pain). Anyhow, they could do nothing for me either so I had to see a specialist the next day. My ear was caked with blood so they flushed it with something to clean it up and then used a VACUUM gadget to suck the blood out. I remember excrutiating pain, seeing red, hearing my mother say something about how pale I looked and then the next thing I know I was on the floor looking up. No warning about pain or anything...they should have at least belted me in the seat. The absolute worst pain ever. I wish they would have told me the pain would be like I was being nailed to the wall through the side of my head.

Yep he was honest alright. Nice guy, little too chatty during the procedure. Be sure I'm following DRs orders, don't want to go through that again.
stinkpickle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #9
GREASYHANDS
Newbie
 
GREASYHANDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-09
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 13,856
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
I'm going to assume that all the post so far have been men.
__________________
Bare Bones Offroad
RIP FS4L
Pavement sucks
Meow
GREASYHANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:42 PM   #10
BlooMule
Jet powered
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 26,557
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
I'm going to assume that all the post so far have been men.
LOL, I've heard the 'childbirth is the most intense pain ever' thing many times.

I call bullshit, because if it was there would never be any siblings.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:49 PM   #11
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,447
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkpickle View Post
Sitting here at the foot dr. I'm in for plantar fasciitis (torn tendon) in the arch of my foot. Yes, this is quite painful. I Think I injured it running. Anyway DR. suggested a cortisone shot, to which I agreed. So in he comes, with a spike full of what looks to be milk. I ask " will this be painful?" I thought I already knew the answer. He said "This will be the worst shot of your entire life." Nervously, my voice squeaks out "really?!" He responds flatly with the affirmative "really." He warns me not to kick. Come on how bad can it be? Naked foot in cold hands, lying flat on my back, in goes this instrument of torture into the arch of my foot. Oh...my... gawwdd ! Unbelievable pain. Over and over, slowly changing angles, pumping the steroid in to my foot. It seemed like forever, even though it probably it was 30 seconds or so. The dentist has nothing on this guy. I now realize that I could have avoided this if I would have babied my foot at the first twinge of pain. Instead for a few weeks I ran on it, didn't ice it and stood on it all day at work hoping it would just get better. So here is the public service announcement part of my post: please, take care of your feet, much pain awaits if you abuse them. You've been warned.
Once you have that it's a revolving door of tendinitis
He was smart to tell you not to kick him in the face. When I first went in for treatment I almost kicked my podiatrist in the face when he grabbed the back of my ankle. He wasn't too angry though because he said he should have seen that coming. Tendinitis stopped me from running. It sucked running for a few weeks and then being hobbled for a week.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 08:54 PM   #12
XJcoupe
1ton XJ
 
XJcoupe's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-11
Location: Sault Ont.
Posts: 579
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I have pissed out MORE kidney stones, than my mother had kids, 8 total that I know of !

fucking painful is all I can say when it happens !
XJcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 30th, 2013, 11:08 PM   #13
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,845
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've had four pf those so far.

Blew up an ankle, and caused all manner of plantar fascitis.

Wait for the shot into the "window" of your ankle where they use the x-ray machine to guide the needle into the right spot. You have to stand up and put weight on it (while on the fluoroscope) while they're doing it. I don't think the Geneva Convention would allow it on Al-Chaida.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 06:55 AM   #14
Immortal
NO RELIGION WAT!
 
Immortal's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: In my garage
Posts: 26,342
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuffMan View Post
I've had four pf those so far.

Blew up an ankle, and caused all manner of plantar fascitis.

Wait for the shot into the "window" of your ankle where they use the x-ray machine to guide the needle into the right spot. You have to stand up and put weight on it (while on the fluoroscope) while they're doing it. I don't think the Geneva Convention would allow it on Al-Chaida.

That painful?!!!
Immortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 07:08 AM   #15
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,367
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Default

Buncha sissies. I once had an itch in the middle of my back that I couldn't reach.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 08:38 AM   #16
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 5,121
iTrader: (63)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

I got a cardboard cut yesterday, quitcher bitchin!
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 09:09 AM   #17
phittie1100
Senior Member
 
phittie1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-05
Location: Burton, MI
Posts: 1,868
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Welcome to the PF world. Mine took 2 injections to get it under control, several weeks apart. If you are lucky, you can look forward to spending the rest of your life wearing orthotics or orthopedic shoes!
__________________
Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
KD8PAV
phittie1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:01 AM   #18
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,845
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Buncha sissies. I once had an itch in the middle of my back that I couldn't reach.

Belt sander with 100 grit.

Duh.
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:04 AM   #19
DuffMan
Your Message Here
 
DuffMan's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: The Ile of Grosse
Posts: 5,845
iTrader: (11)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
Welcome to the PF world. Mine took 2 injections to get it under control, several weeks apart. If you are lucky, you can look forward to spending the rest of your life wearing orthotics or orthopedic shoes!
I'm just moving from orthootics at all times to the "new right" running shoes (ultra high arches/mondo padding) - Brooks Glycerin and Mizuno Wave Riders - on alternating days. The alternating shoes are supposed to build foot back up. So far, so good. Well that, and an entirely new gait as well - moving from a heel strike to a midfoot strike. I'm starting to question the whole running idea...
__________________
This is the Pub. Leave common sense at the door.
DuffMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 31st, 2013, 10:08 AM   #20
ckupq
Kitten I'm gonna eat you!
 
ckupq's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Cedar Rapids, IA 52402
Posts: 3,434
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Man I just be lucky then. I had PF and Bursitis (sp?) and I only had to get two shots and take some pills. I have been taking it easy the last two years.

Couple things I learned with mine:
Orthotics suck. If someone recommends them, they're just out for money. If I can't find a shoe that makes my feet feel good before I buy them I don't buy them. If I find out that I have problems with the shoes after I get them, they go in the trash.

Barefoot helps/ is the only way to go. I work in an office environment so many times I walk around on concrete flat footed. I don't do it everyday or all day, but it helps stretch things out when I'm feeling sore.

Sometimes all it takes is a little drugs. 800mg of Motrin seems to make mine calm the F down when they flare up. If that doesn't work, 5mg of Tramadol. If my feet get stressed they stay stressed. Its not necessary to use it all the time, just when things flare up.

Like I said before maybe I got off lucky, but these are the things that help me.
ckupq is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:58 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.28884 seconds with 81 queries