Are used 4x4 prices REALLY that high? - Page 5 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:27 PM   #81
AJ Hall
Jacked up Chevy
 
AJ Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-09
Location: White Lake, Michigan
Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbchevy View Post
you drive me fucking crazy aj and that's really hard to do wtf man
Explain
__________________
When life knocks you down to your knees, just remember your in the perfect position to pray
AJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 23rd, 2013, 08:34 PM   #82
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,913
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Merry Christmas AJ
High Center Hancho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #83
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
Merry Christmas AJ
f-off





If you guys think 4x4 prices are all jacked up, you should look at what sleds are selling for. At least Ski-doo's. five years ago you could pick up a 2004 600 Rev with 2000 miles for $4500. Now you can pick up a 2004 600 Rev with 5000 miles for $4500. It's incredible. They have been going up in price every single year.

I am guessing this is due to emissions, and the cost of new sleds. But it is pretty safe to assume that buying a sled is not as bad of an investment as buying other powersports items.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:21 AM   #84
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,698
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
f-off





If you guys think 4x4 prices are all jacked up, you should look at what sleds are selling for. At least Ski-doo's. five years ago you could pick up a 2004 600 Rev with 2000 miles for $4500. Now you can pick up a 2004 600 Rev with 5000 miles for $4500. It's incredible. They have been going up in price every single year.

I am guessing this is due to emissions, and the cost of new sleds. But it is pretty safe to assume that buying a sled is not as bad of an investment as buying other powersports items.
Cash in some bitcoins.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #85
clarkstoncracker
lol
 
clarkstoncracker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-03-05
Location: OC - MI
Posts: 42,441
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to clarkstoncracker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlooMule View Post
Cash in some bitcoins.
for what? I has sleds.
__________________
clarkstoncracker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 08:58 AM   #86
974x4Taco
Flex Is OverRated
 
974x4Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-06
Location: Battle Creek
Posts: 2,007
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I sold my 01 Dodge regular cab diesel 5 speed 4x4 with 164k and 0 options for 8500$ (which is what i paid for it 3 years and 40k miles earlier) this fall to the first person with cash simply cause i wanted it gone....kbb lists it at 6200$....i had it on Craigslist fir 10,500 and was receiving more interest in it than i could keep up with....i probably should have held out and made myself another 1000-1500$ but i just didn't feel like dealing with all the cl idiots.

Market is crazy
974x4Taco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #87
BlooMule
pew pew
 
BlooMule's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: a mile from the shithole
Posts: 24,698
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
for what? I has sleds.
Whiny post made it sound like you were looking to buy, thought maybe you had another sled bonfire.
__________________
-rw-rw-rw
BlooMule is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 09:54 AM   #88
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,913
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by clarkstoncracker View Post
for what? I has sleds.
Then answer your texts fool
High Center Hancho is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 10:20 AM   #89
hillbillyrockstar
Country folks living LOUD
 
hillbillyrockstar's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-07
Location: from St. Clair County, working in Baltimore MD for a while
Posts: 254
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mudrunner456 View Post
I really like the 2014 chevys and im due for a new ride so i went down to look at them and holy shit!! 47,000 for a 1/2 ton crew. Didnt even have leather. I guess ill be buying used.

Yea, they're pretty ridiculous.....buuut.....

a coworker of mine out here in Baltimore, MD just bout a 2014 Silverado. It has the new "mini crew" I call it, since they're not making the suicide door extended cab anymore, like Dodge did a while back...(wtf by the way??).....

He actually opted for the LT model. After talking with him, I learned a lot about the new truck market nowadays. He said he bought the truck up in Delaware. When he started looking at all of the $47,000 LTZ's and High Country models, it sort of hit him....

WTF do we need all of this extra crap for that they put in these things? That's what jacks the price up. It isn't the basic stuff used to provide simple affordable transportation. So he went home and took one of the option books with him. He started looking at what he REAAAALLLY needed vs wanted. With his selections in hand, he went back to the dealer and showed them and told them he wanted to order one. Turns out they had one on the lot with only like 2 seperate things different than his that he could live with.

He walked away with a 4x4 "mini crewcab" 6.5 ft bed, v6 silverado LT, cloth interior, power everything for like $30,500.00

After driving his truck with him quite a bit, the v6 has enough balls for all but the heaviest loads, and honestly I truly believe that probably 90% of the buyers out there who are getting the v8's truly have no use for them and get them out of napoleonic complexes. I never really considered a v6 truck, but if I were to ever consider a new truck, I would highly consider it. Not to mention, all of the bells and whistles cost money. A lot of money. To have your truck as luxurious as a Cadillac, with 20" plus rims on it.....well you gotta pay to play....

.....or you could be like my friend and realize you're buying a damn truck and not a Cadillac and order what you need and not what the big 3 WANT you to thing you need.

Just my $0.02.




Oh, anyone wanna buy a beat up 2000 Kia Sephia 5 speed, primer black paint with 126,000 on it? $4800 obo.
hillbillyrockstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 10:47 AM   #90
974x4Taco
Flex Is OverRated
 
974x4Taco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-19-06
Location: Battle Creek
Posts: 2,007
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hillbillyrockstar View Post
Yea, they're pretty ridiculous.....buuut.....

a coworker of mine out here in Baltimore, MD just bout a 2014 Silverado. It has the new "mini crew" I call it, since they're not making the suicide door extended cab anymore, like Dodge did a while back...(wtf by the way??).....

He actually opted for the LT model. After talking with him, I learned a lot about the new truck market nowadays. He said he bought the truck up in Delaware. When he started looking at all of the $47,000 LTZ's and High Country models, it sort of hit him....

WTF do we need all of this extra crap for that they put in these things? That's what jacks the price up. It isn't the basic stuff used to provide simple affordable transportation. So he went home and took one of the option books with him. He started looking at what he REAAAALLLY needed vs wanted. With his selections in hand, he went back to the dealer and showed them and told them he wanted to order one. Turns out they had one on the lot with only like 2 seperate things different than his that he could live with.

He walked away with a 4x4 "mini crewcab" 6.5 ft bed, v6 silverado LT, cloth interior, power everything for like $30,500.00

After driving his truck with him quite a bit, the v6 has enough balls for all but the heaviest loads, and honestly I truly believe that probably 90% of the buyers out there who are getting the v8's truly have no use for them and get them out of napoleonic complexes. I never really considered a v6 truck, but if I were to ever consider a new truck, I would highly consider it. Not to mention, all of the bells and whistles cost money. A lot of money. To have your truck as luxurious as a Cadillac, with 20" plus rims on it.....well you gotta pay to play....

.....or you could be like my friend and realize you're buying a damn truck and not a Cadillac and order what you need and not what the big 3 WANT you to thing you need.

Just my $0.02.




Oh, anyone wanna buy a beat up 2000 Kia Sephia 5 speed, primer black paint with 126,000 on it? $4800 obo.
The one thing i will point out is on the 4x4 '14 silverado's, the v-6 is rated at the same city mpg and one more highway mpg....in my eyes that makes it pointless to buy one....sure they are a little cheaper (not much) but why settle for substantially less power and essentially no efficiency gain.
974x4Taco is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 24th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #91
Easy_E
Web Wheeler !
 
Easy_E's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-18-07
Location: St Johns Mi
Posts: 1,093
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 974x4Taco View Post
The one thing i will point out is on the 4x4 '14 silverado's, the v-6 is rated at the same city mpg and one more highway mpg....in my eyes that makes it pointless to buy one....sure they are a little cheaper (not much) but why settle for substantially less power and essentially no efficiency gain.
The other thing is resale. Sure he could live with a v6 but no one else will. Try to sell a truck with the 4800 and see what happens. No one will buy it with out a hit in price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
Easy_E is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #92
AJ Hall
Jacked up Chevy
 
AJ Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-09
Location: White Lake, Michigan
Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Easy_E View Post
The other thing is resale. Sure he could live with a v6 but no one else will. Try to sell a truck with the 4800 and see what happens. No one will buy it with out a hit in price.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk
4.8 is a hell of a great motor. My 02 ECSB 4x4 has one and the thing runs awesome. I've towed more cars in this area then most of the diesel trucks
__________________
When life knocks you down to your knees, just remember your in the perfect position to pray
AJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:37 AM   #93
gofastbobby
The guy Dale doesn't know
 
gofastbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-07
Location: kalamazoo, mi
Posts: 4,171
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

4.8 is a turd. you as always, are completely full of shit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
America! Fuck yeah!
gofastbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:46 AM   #94
AJ Hall
Jacked up Chevy
 
AJ Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-09
Location: White Lake, Michigan
Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by gofastbobby View Post
4.8 is a turd. you as always, are completely full of shit.
You obviously have no clue what your talking about and have never owned one. I've had the truck 2 years and it has 210k on it now. Only complaint is the trans suck. But the motor has been awesome. I comparison I towed my lifted K5 to mounds and pulled up next to a older man with a NNBS Silverado with a notchback mustang on a aluminum trailer.. We had about the slowest trailer race ever but it was fun... Point is, his newer style 5.3 with a lighter load and probably half the miles barely beat me. But we both pulled off the line pretty equally. Not to mention it got 20MPGs going to NC cruising at 70-75. Its a great all around motor. Deffinitly not the most powerful but its completed every job I have ever thrown at it. If you throw a turbo and custom tune on it they are a totally different animal. LS motors love boost.
__________________
When life knocks you down to your knees, just remember your in the perfect position to pray

Last edited by AJ Hall; December 26th, 2013 at 09:52 AM.
AJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:53 AM   #95
Why YJ?
Don't be a wuss... HIT IT
 
Why YJ?'s Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-08
Location: West Branch,MI
Posts: 1,399
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Having owned a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 (350 chevy) and now a Hemi 5.7. I can easily say the 4.8 is the bastard child of the vortec lineup. It is total crap, no power, bad fuel mileage, with no plus sides.

You are in the car business now and you still believe the 4.8 is a good motor? If it is so good why doesn't GM produce it now?
__________________
2012 JKU Rubicon.. stock for now

Run of the mill YJ with Dana 60's and Irok's..SOLD
96 XJ on 38's...SOLD
Paul
www.teamhodges.com
Why YJ? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:55 AM   #96
AJ Hall
Jacked up Chevy
 
AJ Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-09
Location: White Lake, Michigan
Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Why YJ? View Post
Having owned a 4.8, 5.3, 5.7 (350 chevy) and now a Hemi 5.7. I can easily say the 4.8 is the bastard child of the vortec lineup. It is total crap, no power, bad fuel mileage, with no plus sides.

You are in the car business now and you still believe the 4.8 is a good motor? If it is so good why doesn't GM produce it now?
Because they move on to better things. They made them all the way up to 2013. Shoot, they don't offer the 8.1 Big Block and there wasn't anything wrong with that.

Of course your going to say that its the slowest since its the smallest you have owned. But put a turbo on each one of those motors and the 4.8 will move quicker. A Hemi is awesome as long as it lasts. Also GM Still produces the block as a Crate motor as they do the 8.1.
__________________
When life knocks you down to your knees, just remember your in the perfect position to pray

Last edited by AJ Hall; December 26th, 2013 at 09:59 AM.
AJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 09:58 AM   #97
gofastbobby
The guy Dale doesn't know
 
gofastbobby's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-10-07
Location: kalamazoo, mi
Posts: 4,171
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Go home AJ, you're drunk.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
America! Fuck yeah!
gofastbobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #98
feva4u
LCG
 
feva4u's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-01-07
Location: Petoskey, MI
Posts: 10,342
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJ Hall View Post
Because they move on to better things. They made them all the way up to 2013. Shoot, they don't offer the 8.1 Big Block and there wasn't anything wrong with that.

Of course your going to say that its the slowest since its the smallest you have owned. But put a turbo on each one of those motors and the 4.8 will move quicker. A Hemi is awesome as long as it lasts. Also GM Still produces the block as a Crate motor as they do the 8.1.
You've exceeded your usual dumb quota and moved into ratard territory
__________________
My Jeep
feva4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:05 AM   #99
AJ Hall
Jacked up Chevy
 
AJ Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-09
Location: White Lake, Michigan
Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

really?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CqV-qaT1pDQ
__________________
When life knocks you down to your knees, just remember your in the perfect position to pray
AJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 26th, 2013, 10:07 AM   #100
AJ Hall
Jacked up Chevy
 
AJ Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-09
Location: White Lake, Michigan
Posts: 1,908
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Default

I feel I have won this argument
__________________
When life knocks you down to your knees, just remember your in the perfect position to pray
AJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:35 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.30742 seconds with 82 queries