Chest or standup freezer - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Great Lakes 4x4 Marketplace > Wanted
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:27 AM   #1
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default Chest or standup freezer

I'm looking for a new-ish freezer. I don't have much room in my existing freezer and I have half a cow coming in a month and hopefully a pig shortly after that.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #2
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,011
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default

If you plan on putting a bunch of different kinds of meats into it, get a standup. My dad had a chest, and it was a pain to dig through each time if you were specifically looking for a certain cut or species. I got a standup that I put in the garage so I can store any of my beef, pork, chicken, fish, duck, venison, etc. and be able to find it easier.

They say that the chest is more efficient because it doesn' let all the cold air out... but how often are you in your secondary freezer? I didn't worry about it.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 06:49 AM   #3
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
If you plan on putting a bunch of different kinds of meats into it, get a standup. My dad had a chest, and it was a pain to dig through each time if you were specifically looking for a certain cut or species. I got a standup that I put in the garage so I can store any of my beef, pork, chicken, fish, duck, venison, etc. and be able to find it easier.

They say that the chest is more efficient because it doesn' let all the cold air out... but how often are you in your secondary freezer? I didn't worry about it.
Right now I have the biggest standup that I could find. The half a cow I got last year fit in there about perfect. The problem is I have an elk and a bunch of frozen garden veggies in there right now.

I'm thinking about getting a big chest freezer and just putting different cuts in cardboard boxes in there. I will keep my upright stocked with an assortment and just use the chest for overflow. I love my upright but you definitely can't fit as much in there as a chest.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:05 AM   #4
Lousypirate
Yo
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Marne 49435
Posts: 11,011
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
Right now I have the biggest standup that I could find. The half a cow I got last year fit in there about perfect. The problem is I have an elk and a bunch of frozen garden veggies in there right now.

I'm thinking about getting a big chest freezer and just putting different cuts in cardboard boxes in there. I will keep my upright stocked with an assortment and just use the chest for overflow. I love my upright but you definitely can't fit as much in there as a chest.
sounds like you have your answer

Edit: and I'm a fumduck for not realizing this is in the wanted section I need moar caffeine.
__________________
2003 gmc 1500hd quadrasteer "Miley"
2000 jeep cherokee "Herman"
1977 Ranger 150a bass boat
1987 Yamaha Moto 4 quad
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #5
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lousypirate View Post
sounds like you have your answer

Edit: and I'm a fumduck for not realizing this is in the wanted section I need moar caffeine.
:Sonicjay:

I could see how the title could be mistaken as a question.
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #6
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
:Sonicjay:

I could see how the title could be mistaken as a question.
I saw right after you posted and was going to answer a Deep freezer is a freezer without self defrost . Most up rights have a defrost cycle.
But realized it was a want ad.
But then I wondered how many people do you feed to need that much meat.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 09:48 AM   #7
Shotgun
I only wheel comps.
 
Shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-06
Location: Howard City
Posts: 26,611
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

It just so happens I want elk...
I can save you the need for a freezer as I just bought a new stand up last week.
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
Trail Junkie
iamfawkinwithyou
 
Trail Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-05
Location: Zeeland, west of Grand Rapids
Posts: 31,318
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

I can check our scratch and dent new if ya want....didnt see any earlier this week, but wasn't really looking for a freezer..
Trail Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #9
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trail Junkie View Post
I can check our scratch and dent new if ya want....didnt see any earlier this week, but wasn't really looking for a freezer..
Sounds good, let me know if you see anything. Thanks!


Quote:
Originally Posted by Padilen View Post
I saw right after you posted and was going to answer a Deep freezer is a freezer without self defrost . Most up rights have a defrost cycle.
But realized it was a want ad.
But then I wondered how many people do you feed to need that much meat.
It is just the girlfriend and I. I just like buying meat in bulk from small farmers. Its cheaper, tastes a lot better and is better for you than the crap you buy at the grocery store. We buy bulk at SAMs club also. It is nice only Having to go to the store for perishable stuff.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Shotgun View Post
It just so happens I want elk...
I can save you the need for a freezer as I just bought a new stand up last week.
If you want elk all you have to do is bring beer and an appetite to my house some evening. I'm always up to grill up some backstrap!
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 10:55 AM   #10
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,750
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Yep we use to but a 1/2 a cow,some pork, when I was a kid. Out on my own it was weird getting meat from store. I couldn't find the white packages.;)
I'm single and had a 10 cubic deep freezer.
I've post my bright idea to get rid of it . Because I kept it full with ice. Sold it to my friend for 50$.
Regretted it, my mother moved in to take care of me and sent me to get a small one 5 cubic. Key word small, I'd say don't get smaller than 10.
We bought a Aldi's pizza and it wouldn't fit in mine.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #11
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Whatever I get it will be huge. If I go buy a new one I will probably get the biggest one they sell (within reason)
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 12:22 PM   #12
Shotgun
I only wheel comps.
 
Shotgun's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-06-06
Location: Howard City
Posts: 26,611
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post


If you want elk all you have to do is bring beer and an appetite to my house some evening. I'm always up to grill up some backstrap!
Deal!
Shotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2013, 12:26 PM   #13
Trail Junkie
iamfawkinwithyou
 
Trail Junkie's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-01-05
Location: Zeeland, west of Grand Rapids
Posts: 31,318
iTrader: (29)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Pm me if ya go new....i can get ya w coffin size ~22-25"
Trail Junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 9th, 2013, 01:43 PM   #14
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Ttt
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2013, 03:59 PM   #15
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Top
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 13th, 2013, 03:50 AM   #16
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Up
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Great Lakes 4x4 Marketplace > Wanted

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:27 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.23601 seconds with 69 queries