Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:24 AM   #61
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,324
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post

When I say 'we're accidents' I'm refering to the fact that, if you believe in Macro evoultion, we're all accidents. Our exsistence is happenstance and to try and put purpose or reasons to that existence seems pointless. Our lives our 'a blip on the radar' as you said. We have no effect on the future as individuals nor really as larger groups. What's the point of following morals if they won't effect the grand scheme of things (thousands/millions of years)?

...

I'm asking them, but I'm trying to make a point. If you believe in macro evoultion, what benefit does 'following the rules' bring to our species?

...

I think morals are inherently an emotional thing. What purpose do they serve 'in the world of science'? If we look at our lives scientifically, we're all just a bunch of chemical reactions walking around. Just like plants and any other animal. So why do we hold to our morals (which IMO elevate us over plants and other animals) when, in the scientific world, there is no difference?

Survival. Morals are just a measure of convenience for survival. If the aim of life is to survive, and you are placed in a group setting, you are going to introduce and develop some guidelines that are beneficial to the survival of the group. Different cultures might have different morals, but the shared constant is that all cultures have morals.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:31 AM   #62
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,666
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
.
Actually, Atheism is a position on the topic of belief in god. It's the rejection of that belief. None of the stuff you posted can be insinuated by a person calling themselves an atheist. Thus, that is a pretty stupid jpeg. ;)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:33 AM   #63
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,666
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
cough. red hearing. cough
Just putting things in perspective when a Christian argues that something seems absurd...

I think the idea of evolving morals seems much less absurd than a talking snake.

YMMV
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:35 AM   #64
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,341
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Actually, Atheism is a position on the topic of belief in god. It's the rejection of that belief. None of the stuff you posted can be insinuated by a person calling themselves an atheist. Thus, that is a pretty stupid jpeg. ;)
Atheism = lack of God / gods

How did you come to be if there is no God / gods?
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:38 AM   #65
SS
Whoa man!
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 10,401
iTrader: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
Atheism = lack of God / gods

How did you come to be if there is no God / gods?
The life on Earth was seeded and engineered by an alien species. Our initial societies were guided by those same beings and then they went hands off to let us mature naturally.

^That is actually much more plausible than anything else.
__________________
-Jeremy



Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.
SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:39 AM   #66
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,666
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
Atheism = lack of God / gods

How did you come to be if there is no God / gods?
I thought about it and came to the conclusion that I had no evidence to support the religious stories I was told.

Pretty simple, really.

edit. oops, you asked how I came to be, not how I came to be atheist.

I don't know.

again, pretty simple.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:40 AM   #67
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,341
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
The life on Earth was seeded and engineered by an alien species. Our initial societies were guided by those same beings and then they went hands off to let us mature naturally.

^That is actually much more plausible than anything else.
You've just moved the "creation" moment further back. Who/what created the alien race?
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:41 AM   #68
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,341
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
I thought about it and came to the conclusion that I had no evidence to support the religious stories I was told.

Pretty simple, really.
That is fine, but there still had to be some "event" that led to your being, whether it is creation by a higher intelligent entity or some random natural event.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:41 AM   #69
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,666
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
You've just moved the "creation" moment further back. Who/what created the alien race?
Who/what created God? ;)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:41 AM   #70
SS
Whoa man!
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 10,401
iTrader: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
You've just moved the "creation" moment further back. Who/what created the alien race?
You would have to find and ask them.

The truth of the matter is... We know absolutely nothing in the big picture. To speak as if we do is nothing more than a testament to the arrogance of Man.
__________________
-Jeremy



Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.
SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:43 AM   #71
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,666
iTrader: (1)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
That is fine, but there still had to be some "event" that led to your being, whether it is creation by a higher intelligent entity or some random natural event.
I went back and edited my response,

I don't know. That's why science is so neato. Maybe someday we will. :)
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:44 AM   #72
hondadirtracer
Commercial Pilot
 
hondadirtracer's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-25-08
Location: Kalamazoo, Michigan
Posts: 2,051
iTrader: (10)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Who/what created God? ;)
/thread
hondadirtracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:49 AM   #73
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,341
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post

The truth of the matter is... We know absolutely nothing in the big picture. To speak as if we do is nothing more than a testament to the arrogance of Man.
Agreed. Man knows very little, but likes to think he knows much.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:50 AM   #74
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,874
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
Atheism = lack of God / gods

How did you come to be if there is no God / gods?
Why must there be an explanation? Why do we as humans feel the need to have an explanation for something even if it's completely false?

Throughout history societies use stories and other made up bullshit to explain why things happen. I think we as a race are unable to grasp the possible conclusion that there is no explanation, we don't know and may never know how we got here, and we could very well be accidents. So, we make shit up so we can sleep at night.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:51 AM   #75
amc78cj7
Senior Member
 
amc78cj7's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Ann Arbor, MI
Posts: 5,341
iTrader: (8)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Why must there be an explanation? Why do we as humans feel the need to have an explanation for something even if it's completely false?

Throughout history societies use stories and other made up bullshit to explain why things happen. I think we as a race are unable to grasp the possible conclusion that there is no explanation, we don't know and may never know how we got here, and we could very well be accidents. So, we make shit up so we can sleep at night.
So long as you include evolution with creationism in this statement I completely agree.
__________________
I'm not quoting idiots who promote unsafe recovery strap techniques anymore. :miff:
amc78cj7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 09:55 AM   #76
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,874
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amc78cj7 View Post
So long as you include evolution with creationism in this statement I completely agree.
I honestly do. I sway way more towards evolution than creationism. I don't think we appeared on Earth as is one day out of nowhere and nothing has changed. If anything, something got the ball rolling and evolution took over.

Still, it's the theory of evolution and not a scientific fact. There just happens to be more factual evidence supporting it. It still doesn't explain what set it all off.

I just think there are a lot of ignorant individuals out there that say we're all from Adam & Eve and they're ok with it. They would also argue you to death that they are right and never see any other point of view. Same goes for evolutionists.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:10 AM   #77
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 17,517
iTrader: (155)
God
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:13 AM   #78
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,865
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hondadirtracer View Post
/thread
Not even close. This idea can be asked about any 'begining of life' story, theory, or theology.

What created the super dense mass that was there before the big bang? What created that, then what created that. IMO, you have to have an eternal (always been here) thing or, the other option, you get something from absolutely nothing.



Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Why must there be an explanation? Why do we as humans feel the need to have an explanation for something even if it's completely false?

Throughout history societies use stories and other made up bullshit to explain why things happen. I think we as a race are unable to grasp the possible conclusion that there is no explanation, we don't know and may never know how we got here, and we could very well be accidents. So, we make shit up so we can sleep at night.
Christians would argue that we (everybody, not just Christians) search for an explanation because there is one and it's God. That God created that thirst for knowledge and explanation in order to point us to him. That's why I love Science.
L4CX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:34 AM   #79
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,874
iTrader: (22)
Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
Not even close. This idea can be asked about any 'begining of life' story, theory, or theology.

What created the super dense mass that was there before the big bang? What created that, then what created that. IMO, you have to have an eternal (always been here) thing or, the other option, you get something from absolutely nothing.





Christians would argue that we (everybody, not just Christians) search for an explanation because there is one and it's God. That God created that thirst for knowledge and explanation in order to point us to him. That's why I love Science.
Who created what created the super dense mass? And then who/what created that?

That question never ends....

I don't think you can speak for all Christians on that one. I know several who think they have it all figured out because that's what the bible says.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 31st, 2013, 10:47 AM   #80
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,982
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
We should do a religious discussion meet and greet.

I'm serious.
You mean like a bible study?
aber61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:32 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.22795 seconds with 52 queries