4.0 cooling issues - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Jeep Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:40 PM   #21
WACKO1
2000 xj
 
WACKO1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-13
Location: waterford mi
Posts: 746
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Are the fan shield In place ? You have done every thing and can't think of anything else that you can do. My only other though is that the gauge or sensor is bad.also what temp dose the electric fan come on, the only other is to try running with out thermostat. Oh what about the radiator cap is it new ? That can also cause a over heat problem
WACKO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:45 PM   #22
yyj87
Senior Member
 
yyj87's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-10
Location: Traverse city(Silver Lake)
Posts: 1,674
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WACKO1 View Post
Are the fan shield In place ? You have done every thing and can't think of anything else that you can do. My only other though is that the gauge or sensor is bad.also what temp dose the electric fan come on, the only other is to try running with out thermostat. Oh what about the radiator cap is it new ? That can also cause a over heat problem
Fan in rigged always on, shroud intact and a new cap.

I have a feeling that when I solve this puzzle I'm going to feel like a dumbass. I must be over looking something stupid.

The block is actuly a 96 and the belt is routed properly.
yyj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 04:50 PM   #23
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,532
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Its a Jeep thing I don't understand.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 05:54 PM   #24
WACKO1
2000 xj
 
WACKO1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-13
Location: waterford mi
Posts: 746
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I will talk to a few people I know at Chrysler and see if they have any ideas
WACKO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 18th, 2013, 08:06 PM   #25
frdboy
Wishin' I waz fishin'
 
frdboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 10,951
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Sounds like air is getting in the sys., could be a cracked head. If you can find someone with a exhaust 5 gas analyzer.....have them sniff the cooling sys. and look how much HC's (hydrocarbons) are in the cooling sys. should be less than 100 ppm, most good cars are less than 40 ppm. anything over 500 ppm is for sure combustion gases getting in the cooling sys. somehow. I get the analyzer warmed up and running, do a cold start and sniff the resivoir........let it warm up and check it again.....be sure to keep the reservoir closed in-between checks to trap the hc's.

Did the T-stat have a jiggle valve in it? If so cut it out so there is just a hole and if it does not have a hole/valve...drill a 1/8 hole in the stat so air can escape, it will help with the temp swings and let you drive it a while more.
__________________
Cheap Thrills Off Road

2003 F-250 4X4 7.3 PSD Crew Cab

1971 Bronco
frdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 02:40 PM   #26
WACKO1
2000 xj
 
WACKO1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-13
Location: waterford mi
Posts: 746
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Check belt routing, or the head is cracked, try running with no t.stat and see how it is
WACKO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:28 PM   #27
yyj87
Senior Member
 
yyj87's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-10
Location: Traverse city(Silver Lake)
Posts: 1,674
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

New symptoms... things changed all the sudden today.


The spikes in temp only last a few seconds now, way to fast to be actual temp changes! My heat blows hot intermittently.


Belt is spinning the water pump in the correct direction. The only difference between the yj pump and the zj pump is the bolt paturn in the flange. I cut a notch in the top of the t-stat to leet air pass. We will see if it helps.

Last edited by yyj87; October 21st, 2013 at 07:31 PM.
yyj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:32 PM   #28
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,532
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yyj87 View Post
New symptoms... things changed all the sudden today.


The spikes in temp only last a few seconds now, way to fast to be actual temp changes! My heat blows hot intermittently.


Belt is spinning the water pump in the correct direction. The only difference between the yj pump and the zj pump is the bolt paturn in the flange. I cut a notch in the top of the t-stat to leet air pass. We will see if it helps.
Air pocket.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:33 PM   #29
yyj87
Senior Member
 
yyj87's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-10
Location: Traverse city(Silver Lake)
Posts: 1,674
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I'm shopping for a reman head.....
yyj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:34 PM   #30
yyj87
Senior Member
 
yyj87's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-10
Location: Traverse city(Silver Lake)
Posts: 1,674
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Air pocket.
Created by a cracked head or some 4.0l voodoo?
yyj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 07:41 PM   #31
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,033
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

I dealt with temp issues in my sbc in my tj this year. My one bit of advice is don't think that putting a new stat in rules out a thermostat issue. The one that was in the jeep was bad, I put a new one in and that one was bad also. It acted almost the same as the old one. The third one worked like a charm.

They are cheap as hell and easy to install, buy another one and throw it in just to be sure. I had many, many days of frustration with this shit. Good luck!
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 21st, 2013, 08:26 PM   #32
yyj87
Senior Member
 
yyj87's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-10-10
Location: Traverse city(Silver Lake)
Posts: 1,674
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
I dealt with temp issues in my sbc in my tj this year. My one bit of advice is don't think that putting a new stat in rules out a thermostat issue. The one that was in the jeep was bad, I put a new one in and that one was bad also. It acted almost the same as the old one. The third one worked like a charm.

They are cheap as hell and easy to install, buy another one and throw it in just to be sure. I had many, many days of frustration with this shit. Good luck!
I'll grab another new one tomorrow, I too have installed bad tstats.
yyj87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2013, 07:18 AM   #33
WACKO1
2000 xj
 
WACKO1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-06-13
Location: waterford mi
Posts: 746
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

run it with out a stat and see if you have problem
WACKO1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Jeep Tech

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:56 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.19624 seconds with 60 queries