Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Needs thoughts on noise

Tags
meballs
2K views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  CheapThrillB2 
#1 · (Edited)
79 hp kp 60 in 93 yj.
I had a loud popping noise when I I'm in 4x4 coming from passenger side. I thought it was u joint. Took shaft out and u joint is fine, lockout looks fine and I don't see anything in differential. It has a spartan locker with stick ford 30 spline lockouts.

The noise started after I had the tire stuffed really hard and kept trying to go till I bent a leaf spring. I'm wondering if locker is slipping or maybe housing tweaked?

#9 ·
Kyle bent the housing causing the shaft to locker to be slightly out of alignment and forcing the side gear to ride funny in the locker making it slip. The locker wore do to that. Not a typical locker failure.

I wore out the forward edge of the teeth in my lock right and it would slip making a horrible popping noise under load.

If you pull the locker pay close attention to the teeth of the gears for any sign of the edges being worn. If you don't see anything and reinstall it, flip it around so what was the passenger side is now the drivers. If it does happen to be that, atleast then the worn edge of the teeth will be on the reverse side and forward should still hold and not slip.

I replaces my lock right with a spartan. But recently replaced the spartan with a Yukon grizzly. I didn't have any issues with the spartan and sold it somebody who reinstalled it in his axle and hasn't had any issues.

#10 ·
Cheapthrills, you were behind me in the woods that first left hander when my right tire was wedged and I kept trying I think is where I bent my spring. You think that could have tweaked axle? Or maybe when I was winching out of mud hole? Axle doesn't appear to be bent just by looking at it but with a good way to measure I'm not saying it isn't. That locker in there had zero issues to the mullet run, not sure what happened. I'm headed out to shed to pull it out now.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.