**** The return to Gitche Gumee **** - Page 8 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:48 AM   #141
phittie1100
Senior Member
 
phittie1100's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-27-05
Location: Burton, MI
Posts: 1,865
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Assuming I ever complete the registration process I plan on leaving first thing Thursday morning.
__________________
Paul - 2005 Wrangler Unlimited
KD8PAV
phittie1100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old September 5th, 2013, 10:53 AM   #142
kixx007
Certified Ypsilantian
 
kixx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: Not Metamora, Mi
Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by phittie1100 View Post
Assuming I ever complete the registration process I plan on leaving first thing Thursday morning.
Leah has all the registrations. I'll have her check and see if yours is there. I think I remember seeing it.
kixx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:32 AM   #143
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,112
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Right now the best the wife can do is get out of work by Thursday evening.
That means an all nighter driving to get there. Not what I had planned!
Trail rides would typically leave around 8:00 am ish. I suspect mine will be 9:00 am ish instead just so I have enough time to get it off the trailer.
j
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:46 AM   #144
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,276
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default



Looks like both the "old timers" are out for some early exploration. I may be revising my plans to a Thursday arrival as well then.
mschaffer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 11:54 AM   #145
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,112
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post


Looks like both the "old timers" are out for some early exploration. I may be revising my plans to a Thursday arrival as well then.
My 'run' is intended to be of an exploratory nature itself. It's more exciting that way anyhow. I'm running up Lower 2 and No Bridge and then I have 2 'not yet explored' options, north, northeast with the hopes I can make a loop out of that trail instead of coming back on 17 the way we did in the spring.
There's lots of play places along the way on Lower 2 like the 'playground' we didn't stop at but looked at as we went by. Then there's the big gravel washout on that north trail that I stopped short of. So...............still plenty of exploring but with a little bigger group.
Years ago PIW was done that way and it turned out to be one of most enjoyable rides in a long time. Despite the fact our arrival home was I think the next day. WR was on that run so he might remember more as Canada is a blur to me now after over 30 years of running trails there.
j-kb8ymf
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:01 PM   #146
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,276
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
My 'run' is intended to be of an exploratory nature itself. It's more exciting that way anyhow. I'm running up Lower 2 and No Bridge and then I have 2 'not yet explored' options, north, northeast with the hopes I can make a loop out of that trail instead of coming back on 17 the way we did in the spring.
There's lots of play places along the way on Lower 2 like the 'playground' we didn't stop at but looked at as we went by. Then there's the big gravel washout on that north trail that I stopped short of. So...............still plenty of exploring but with a little bigger group.
Years ago PIW was done that way and it turned out to be one of most enjoyable rides in a long time. Despite the fact our arrival home was I think the next day. WR was on that run so he might remember more as Canada is a blur to me now after over 30 years of running trails there.
j-kb8ymf


I'm in for that. I loved the exploration factor of the trip last year. It seems really fun that the trail leader doesn't know what to expect :)
mschaffer66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:05 PM   #147
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,112
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post


I'm in for that. I loved the exploration factor of the trip last year. It seems really fun that the trail leader doesn't know what to expect :)
And what's more fun is that the leader can throw 'unsuspecting' participants in the lead to let them see what that aspect of exploration is all about. It's not like anyone is going to get lost or get too far ahead.
Remember how much fun Jeff had going up Driveway trail as the leader?
j-kb8ymf
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 12:45 PM   #148
Eric99tj
Just bump it....
 
Eric99tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-07
Location: Howell, MI
Posts: 1,694
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I will be heading up Thursday evening after work.
__________________
Southern Michigan Rockcrawlers
Eric99tj is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:09 PM   #149
lgottler
Senior Member
 
lgottler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: New Baltimore, MI
Posts: 1,383
iTrader: (17)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Wed late to thursday am wife dependent.
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 01:38 PM   #150
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,111
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
Years ago PIW was done that way and it turned out to be one of most enjoyable rides in a long time. Despite the fact our arrival home was I think the next day. WR was on that run so he might remember more as Canada is a blur to me now after over 30 years of running trails there.
j-kb8ymf
We got back around midnight. I wish we could still get to that trail without having to go 10 miles further north.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:04 PM   #151
kb8ymf
Not as old as Whiterhino
 
kb8ymf's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-06
Location: Dryden,Mi.
Posts: 1,112
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
We got back around midnight. I wish we could still get to that trail without having to go 10 miles further north.
You could go up to Saddle Lake and then east, I believe that's still open. Is that the '10 miles north' trail you're speaking of'? That was the way we went in circa 'PIW'. You could run across the edge of the drop off and do the rest of the trail including the snotty little hole and hill. The downside is you can't come out by Golf Lake where they have it closed now.
So unless you find a different way out, going east to Saddle Lake and then north is a HELL of along way over and not in the right direction to get home very easily. We've never explored that area much probably because it's pretty flat out that way.
j-kb8ymf
kb8ymf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:19 PM   #152
pigfat
GONE COMMANDO
 
pigfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-09
Location: West of Monroe Michigan
Posts: 1,893
iTrader: (51)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Anybody know if its a problem bringing pets over the border? Also would it be best to do grocery shopping on that side of the bridge?
pigfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #153
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,111
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb8ymf View Post
You could go up to Saddle Lake and then east, I believe that's still open. Is that the '10 miles north' trail you're speaking of'? That was the way we went in circa 'PIW'. You could run across the edge of the drop off and do the rest of the trail including the snotty little hole and hill. The downside is you can't come out by Golf Lake where they have it closed now.
So unless you find a different way out, going east to Saddle Lake and then north is a HELL of along way over and not in the right direction to get home very easily. We've never explored that area much probably because it's pretty flat out that way.
j-kb8ymf
Yes, that's what I was referring to.

RE pets, not an issue. Just make sure you have up to date paperwork for their shots. There is a time frame where the rabies shots must be older than 6 weeks or something. They have never asked anything about our dog who usually has his head poking out the window.

Don't bring fresh fruits, vegetables or meat over the border. Depending on the day, it may be an issue. Prepackaged junk is fine. We usually stop across the border for any fresh stuff.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:40 PM   #154
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Milford/Commerce
Posts: 10,143
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shawn
Default

No Pitbulls allowed, according to Canada's information I read.
__________________
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 02:53 PM   #155
kixx007
Certified Ypsilantian
 
kixx007's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-14-06
Location: Not Metamora, Mi
Posts: 4,464
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Yes, that's what I was referring to.

RE pets, not an issue. Just make sure you have up to date paperwork for their shots. There is a time frame where the rabies shots must be older than 6 weeks or something. They have never asked anything about our dog who usually has his head poking out the window.

Don't bring fresh fruits, vegetables or meat over the border. Depending on the day, it may be an issue. Prepackaged junk is fine. We usually stop across the border for any fresh stuff.
We purchased all of our food in Michigan. Fruits and vegetables included and had no issue getting acrosss. But when we came back and told them we had half an onion in the fridge they weren't happy. I walked funny for days.
kixx007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 03:16 PM   #156
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,111
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by shawn View Post
No Pitbulls allowed, according to Canada's information I read.
Pitbulls aren't dogs..............
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 5th, 2013, 09:01 PM   #157
landj
GLFWDA,UFWDA,SOFO,MEMBER
 
landj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-04-10
Location: st.helen michigan
Posts: 326
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

We plan on leaving early Wednesday morning.
landj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 7th, 2013, 04:43 PM   #158
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,111
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mschaffer66 View Post


Looks like both the "old timers" are out for some early exploration. I may be revising my plans to a Thursday arrival as well then.
Currently our new plans are to get up there Wednesday night. I have a couple places I hope to look at Thursday if you want to come along.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #159
pigfat
GONE COMMANDO
 
pigfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-09
Location: West of Monroe Michigan
Posts: 1,893
iTrader: (51)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

How many rigs are registered and how many groups will be leaving Friday morning? I'm ultra stoked for this my junks ready to rock!
pigfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 10th, 2013, 08:19 PM   #160
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 22,111
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Default

I have no idea how any sign ups are being done or anything but I would like to be pulling out @ 8:30. Depending on weather and water levels, my run may vary on where we go. Like Jim says, it's part of the adventure.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Trail Rides & 4x4 Events

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:07 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.27372 seconds with 82 queries