Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old September 1st, 2013, 10:39 AM   #1
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,680
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default My new little piece of history

So I recived a call the other day from a family member saying they are getting rid of this old tractor and asked if I wanted it and if not it would probably be scraped or tried to be sold.

So of corse I wanted it. It was my dads uncles old tractor and he has had a ruff time these last 5 years with heart problems and what not.

So more about the tractor what I know about it right now is its a ford 9n they made these from 1939-1942 and this one runs drives operates great. But doesn't look the best yet.

I got the tractor for free and came with a furrier,disks and back blade.
I think these tractors look sweet when there cleaned up painted and looking nice.

The tractor needs a tube for the rear tire and one front tire that's why it sits funny in the pic






Last edited by muddinman56; September 1st, 2013 at 11:39 AM.
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 11:56 AM   #2
howell_jeep
Last Free Man
 
howell_jeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-09-06
Location: Howell Twp, MI 48836
Posts: 10,848
iTrader: (69)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

sweet. Are you planning or restoring it or using it as is?
howell_jeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 12:13 PM   #3
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,680
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

We're deffently going to use it and do a mild resto just get every thing working great and clean it up get all the parts it needs like new hood lights stuff like that and paint it

It just weird to me that the tractor was made at the start of ww2 and it all still works as it should they don't make things like that any more
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 12:30 PM   #4
oilburner350
Senior Member
 
oilburner350's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 307
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Last I knew Van Pamels in Armada has repop parts for it, as well as Steiner's and Owosso Tractor parts.

Pretty simple tractor to work on. The lack of live power and live hydraulics can get annoying, but it's nothing that can't be worked around. Just takes more time.

Paint it up, use it, and take it to shows.
oilburner350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2013, 08:43 PM   #5
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,551
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Very cool.

My dad had one from the next generation and used it regularly from when he got in (late 1960s) until he sold it just a couple of years ago. Like oilburner said, those old Ford tractors are lacking in many options that we take for granted now but are amazingly simple to work on.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 04:09 AM   #6
marshall
locally famous
 
marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-11
Location: mayville MI
Posts: 2,923
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Seen one of those yesterday that was painted a darker shade of gray, with blacked out rims. Looked real nice like that.
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:45 AM   #7
oilburner350
Senior Member
 
oilburner350's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 307
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Just as a side note the engine in the 9N-2N-8N was based off of the flat head V8 with some of the internals beefed up. If I remember correctly they also used a one ton truck clutch. Old Henry used what he had on the shelf to build his tractors.
oilburner350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 06:52 AM   #8
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,718
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner350 View Post
Last I knew Van Pamels in Armada has repop parts for it, as well as Steiner's and Owosso Tractor parts.

Pretty simple tractor to work on. The lack of live power and live hydraulics can get annoying, but it's nothing that can't be worked around. Just takes more time.

Paint it up, use it, and take it to shows.
The 9n has a rear pto
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:04 AM   #9
oilburner350
Senior Member
 
oilburner350's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 307
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
The 9n has a rear pto
It sure does have a PTO, but it is not live. You had to go to the later tractors to get the live or independent PTO. Live is achieved with a two stage clutch, independent has a separate clutch pack. On the N series once the clutch is disconnected the PTO no longer has power to it.

If you want a thrill put a brush hog or finish mower on a 9N-2N-8N with no over running clutch and try to stop in a hurry.

Some of the N tractors also have a Sherman axillary transmission. One thing to keep in mind is there is only one power input to the transmission. If the Sherman speed or slows the ground speed it also changes the PTO speed.
oilburner350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:21 AM   #10
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,718
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner350 View Post
It sure does have a PTO, but it is not live. You had to go to the later tractors to get the live or independent PTO. Live is achieved with a two stage clutch, independent has a separate clutch pack. On the N series once the clutch is disconnected the PTO no longer has power to it.

If you want a thrill put a brush hog or finish mower on a 9N-2N-8N with no over running clutch and try to stop in a hurry.

Some of the N tractors also have a Sherman axillary transmission. One thing to keep in mind is there is only one power input to the transmission. If the Sherman speed or slows the ground speed it also changes the PTO speed.
I thought you were suggesting it had no pto, ill shut up now
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:38 AM   #11
booblinker
Trailer Trash
 
booblinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-29-06
Location: Leonard, mi
Posts: 9,706
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to booblinker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner350 View Post
Just as a side note the engine in the 9N-2N-8N was based off of the flat head V8 with some of the internals beefed up. If I remember correctly they also used a one ton truck clutch. Old Henry used what he had on the shelf to build his tractors.
Wasn't a flathead v8 swap pretty easy?
__________________
-2001 Tahoe original 5.3 4x4 only 430k
-Down to 3 three wheelers
-1985 V65 Magna
-1983 Nighthawk 650
-1978 F100
booblinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:40 AM   #12
oilburner350
Senior Member
 
oilburner350's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 307
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I've worked on tractors for 20+ years. Everything from a 1926 McCormick Deering 10-20 to new stuff.

With the 3 point the N series was pretty high tech for its time. My Great Grandpa tried one out in 1940 along with the A Farmall, B Allis-Chalmers, Oliver 60, and H John Deere. They settled on the H, but were too cheap to pay $25 for the electric start. The 14 hp Deere replaced 2 teams of horses.
oilburner350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 07:45 AM   #13
oilburner350
Senior Member
 
oilburner350's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 307
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booblinker View Post
Wasn't a flathead v8 swap pretty easy?
Yes and no. Funk made a 6cyl and 8 cyl conversion. The main problem with the V-8 was the tractor was a structural block, the V-8 was not. It took a lot of reinforcement so that the block wouldn't crack. I think the radius arms and some other stuff had to be changed as well. The 6cyl need a new hood and radiator. One of my friends had both conversions.

Back in the day my great uncle used to order a rebuild kit for I think it was the 239 flat head and an extra pan gasket. It was a cheap way to get two rebuild kits for the N series.
oilburner350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:20 AM   #14
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,680
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner350 View Post
Yes and no. Funk made a 6cyl and 8 cyl conversion. The main problem with the V-8 was the tractor was a structural block, the V-8 was not. It took a lot of reinforcement so that the block wouldn't crack. I think the radius arms and some other stuff had to be changed as well. The 6cyl need a new hood and radiator. One of my friends had both conversions.

Back in the day my great uncle used to order a rebuild kit for I think it was the 239 flat head and an extra pan gasket. It was a cheap way to get two rebuild kits for the N series.

You sure know your stuff about tractors lol

I power washed it and it looks better

And what a bitch it is to break the rear tire beads to put a tube it
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 08:51 AM   #15
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,680
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

What I need is the hydraulic fluid can I go to tractor supply and get some I understand it needs or calls for mineral sprits sae 80 but can I use other stuff?
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM   #16
oilburner350
Senior Member
 
oilburner350's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 307
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinman56 View Post
You sure know your stuff about tractors lol

I power washed it and it looks better

And what a bitch it is to break the rear tire beads to put a tube it
If the tire has been on there a while the tire rusts to the rim, plus old hard tires are just a pain to break down. I have use a board/another tractor, back blade with 3pt hitch that has down pressure and a dozer to break them down. Do you have a tire hammer?
oilburner350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 09:38 AM   #17
oilburner350
Senior Member
 
oilburner350's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: West Branch, MI
Posts: 307
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by muddinman56 View Post
What I need is the hydraulic fluid can I go to tractor supply and get some I understand it needs or calls for mineral sprits sae 80 but can I use other stuff?
Here is an article on hydraulic fluid for the N series- http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/ar.../artint251.htm

The original mineral oil is very slow in cold weather. If it were my tractor and the hydraulic system is in good shape I would drain it and refill with a Hydraulic/Transmission oil meeting the Ford M2C134D spec. It will work better in the winter if you plan on using it for snow removal.

Last edited by oilburner350; September 2nd, 2013 at 09:42 AM.
oilburner350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:09 AM   #18
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,680
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilburner350 View Post
Here is an article on hydraulic fluid for the N series- http://www.yesterdaystractors.com/ar.../artint251.htm

The original mineral oil is very slow in cold weather. If it were my tractor and the hydraulic system is in good shape I would drain it and refill with a Hydraulic/Transmission oil meeting the Ford M2C134D spec. It will work better in the winter if you plan on using it for snow removal.
The hydraulic system is in great shape we just don't know what other fluid we can run in it that won't hurt the machine or the seals.

And ya I have a slide hammer and crow bars it worked just it was a bitch lol
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 11:29 AM   #19
muddinman56
blood,sweat and beers
 
muddinman56's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-06-08
Location: armada michigan
Posts: 3,680
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

U don't happen to have any ford 9n stuff laying around do ya?
muddinman56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 2nd, 2013, 12:11 PM   #20
skife
Senior Member
 
skife's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-07
Location: cedar springs mi
Posts: 5,095
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to skife Send a message via MSN to skife
Default

we sell "tractor fluid" at autozone. i know its mineral oil, i don't know what weight it is.
skife is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:16 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.23165 seconds with 52 queries