Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old August 18th, 2013, 08:16 PM   #41
MUDDERofaJEEPER
squirrel bait
 
MUDDERofaJEEPER's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-17-11
Location: westalnd/MI
Posts: 210
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I found mine for about half of what it at target. If you just shop around
MUDDERofaJEEPER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #42
2TrakR
Rider of Trails
 
2TrakR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-18-09
Location: Rhodes
Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVest1 View Post
Kids can ride quads and dirtbikes at ANY age, just not at an ORV park or state land until they take the training course. Technically a dirtbike or quad can't legally be driven across most roads anyway (except in some counties where it's legal to drive ORVs on public roads).
Best if you read the law: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-81129

We got in the competition exception for safety certificate within the last couple years, the rest has been in there for quite a while.

Item 2 and 16 specifically.

Additionally, ORVs _can_ be driven across a road or highway (cross, not down) by operators above 12YO anywhere irregardless of PA240/ordinances.
__________________
/Jeramey
GLDS - AMA - MSA - GLFWDA - ATVOC - BRC - VVMapping
2TrakR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 18th, 2013, 10:17 PM   #43
RVest1
Senior Member
 
RVest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-28-11
Location: Davison/MI
Posts: 291
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrakR View Post
Best if you read the law: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-81129

We got in the competition exception for safety certificate within the last couple years, the rest has been in there for quite a while.

Item 2 and 16 specifically.

Additionally, ORVs _can_ be driven across a road or highway (cross, not down) by operators above 12YO anywhere irregardless of PA240/ordinances.
A child of ANY age can drive a dirtbike/trail bike on private property and on state property with an -ORV certificate and parent/guardian supervision if under 16-.
I respectfully disagree. Every law enforcement officer that has stopped me for crossing a city street has said that I have to get off the dirtbike and push it across the road. It is NOT registered, insured, or plated therefore not able to be driven on the street (even just crossing the street). What if you were to say get hit by a car or hit a car while crossing said street? You are not a pedestrian, nor on a street legal, insured, plated, registered vehicle. No the can_not be driven across a city street, unless in a city/county that has made an exception.

Last edited by RVest1; August 18th, 2013 at 10:53 PM.
RVest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 05:53 PM   #44
2TrakR
Rider of Trails
 
2TrakR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-18-09
Location: Rhodes
Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVest1 View Post
I respectfully disagree. Every law enforcement officer that has stopped me for crossing a city street has said that I have to get off the dirtbike and push it across the road. No the can_not be driven across a city street, unless in a city/county that has made an exception.
Read section 16 at the link previously quoted: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-81129

If that's not enough, it's clearer in part A here: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-81122

Specifically allows crossing of streets.
Local ordinance only applies for driving down/on (not across) the road.
Sorry, the enforcement officers that stopped you were wrong based on the info you provided.
__________________
/Jeramey
GLDS - AMA - MSA - GLFWDA - ATVOC - BRC - VVMapping
2TrakR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 05:58 PM   #45
RVest1
Senior Member
 
RVest1's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-28-11
Location: Davison/MI
Posts: 291
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2TrakR View Post
Read section 16 at the link previously quoted: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-81129

If that's not enough, it's clearer in part A here: http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?mcl-324-81122

Specifically allows crossing of streets.
Local ordinance only applies for driving down/on (not across) the road.
Sorry, the enforcement officers that stopped you were wrong based on the info you provided.
I may concede on that point as I know that they give tickets because they can, not because it is the law (maybe you can cross a road, maybe not). Either way, a kid can ride a dirtbike (trail bike) at any age.
RVest1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:12 PM   #46
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,742
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVest1 View Post
I may concede on that point as I know that they give tickets because they can, not because it is the law (maybe you can cross a road, maybe not). Either way, a kid can ride a dirtbike (trail bike) at any age.
Sorry cop you are dead wrong on this one
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2013, 06:23 PM   #47
2TrakR
Rider of Trails
 
2TrakR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-18-09
Location: Rhodes
Posts: 104
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVest1 View Post
Either way, a kid can ride a dirtbike (trail bike) at any age.
I agree, that's what I indicated. They can't ride quads until 10; they can't cross roads until 12. I should have been less brief on my statement "Dirt bikes at any age" meaning "can ride bikes at any age".

At the Kids Rides (event) and what we usually suggest, is that the parents take the kid's machine across the road, then bring the kid (ie walk them across the road) to be totally legal.
__________________
/Jeramey
GLDS - AMA - MSA - GLFWDA - ATVOC - BRC - VVMapping
2TrakR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 1st, 2013, 09:55 PM   #48
built
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-10-09
Location: warren
Posts: 477
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I was 5 when my dad bought me my first dirtbike. I've been hooked ever since. Now I ride Harleys though
__________________
www.MikesCustomSigns.com
built is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 06:41 PM   #49
wilinsonlevi
Team Thumbs Up
 
wilinsonlevi's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-08
Location: marlette mi
Posts: 3,307
iTrader: (45)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Well he will be two in in a three weeks and he ride his bike by himself today. It's a great feeling.
wilinsonlevi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #50
fordbronco
Senior Member
 
fordbronco's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-22-11
Location: Marlette/Flint
Posts: 4,287
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

It's crazy how fast they grow up. Before you know it, he'll be getting busted for not having bumpers on his jeeps!
fordbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2014, 07:19 PM   #51
Strangler
Senior Member
 
Strangler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Howell
Posts: 3,950
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilinsonlevi View Post
Well he will be two in in a three weeks and he ride his bike by himself today. It's a great feeling.
Strangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:47 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.15202 seconds with 34 queries