Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest banner

Laugh. But I'm serious

5K views 51 replies 29 participants last post by  montecarlo33 
#1 ·
So anyway I'm reading online about deer hunting there is a proposal to change antler requirements. Some want to allow bucks with a certain size rack to be taking. I guess the thinking is older bucks?
So here's what I don't understand.
If I hunt do I not want the "food" or do I only want the "rack".
Wouldn't a smaller/ younger buck have better meat.
If your a hunter you want food?
If your a sportsman/woman you only care about rack?
I never understood any sports either.

#50 ·
I'm from Oakland / Wayne county. We had farms in the area when I was young. We had / saw a few deer most were big and field/grain fed. They helped them selfs. After farms went and Mayberry Sanatorium became a "park". We saw a lot more deer. More car deer accidents too. But not as big.
I live in Osceola / Wexford Mi lots of deer and deer car accidents.
The deer right buy my home are all use to people and being feed. Most are older does. Some big bucks might make it a few years. One crippled doe has been here at least 5 years. She seems to always have 2 fawns. One year she had 3. 2 were hers and later an older ?bigger fawn was with her too. She took care of all 3.
I still don't understand the issue.
As a driver less deer is better.
As someone who respects nature, I'm kind of kill only for food or protection. ie mice in pole barn are killed because of destruction they do. But mice in yard are left alone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.