The Camping Gear Thread - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Other Stuff > The Great Outdoors
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Great Outdoors Guns, Cannons, Fishing, Camping, and other fun stuff

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:36 PM   #21
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
check steepandcheap.com and theclymb.com I've seen Alps brand ones on both of those sites for good prices...also check REI outlet online.
Fuck REI.
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old June 24th, 2013, 07:58 PM   #22
pigfat
GONE COMMANDO
 
pigfat's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-11-09
Location: West of Monroe Michigan
Posts: 1,915
iTrader: (52)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

percolator camping coffee maker, aint nothing better, bug spray, sunscreen, chapstick. trash bags, q tips, camping lighter. weather radio and depending on where you go camping it is advisable to carry a firearm if camping in the woods and if around bears make sure you have an adequate firearm for the situation.
pigfat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:48 PM   #23
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,558
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
Fuck REI.
I don't recall asking you to shop there
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:53 PM   #24
Padilen
Senior Member
 
Padilen's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-17-12
Location: LeRoy Michigan
Posts: 1,755
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

I have camped in a long time. Bought a tent last year have yet to use it.
But 2 things I carry with me in my Jeep and kayaks.
Baby wipes-not usually flushable,and toilet wipes that are flush able.
Padilen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #25
AJ Hall
Kickin' Up MUD
 
AJ Hall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-09
Location: USA
Posts: 2,205
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmetzg03 View Post
The boss at my last job bought one of these.. pretty neat
AJ Hall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:12 PM   #26
dreezy
Haggard Fab
 
dreezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-08
Location: Holland Mi
Posts: 10,345
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to dreezy Send a message via MSN to dreezy
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmorell View Post
I don't recall asking you to shop there
Google "REI anti ORV"
__________________
"you think you're precious, I think you're shit."

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScOoTeR View Post
Ryan, if I wanted any shit from you, I'd go looking for Leah's strap-on.
dreezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:13 PM   #27
ajmorell
Senior Member
 
ajmorell's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-22-07
Location: Oshkosh, WI
Posts: 3,558
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to ajmorell
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
Google "REI anti ORV"
I'm well aware
ajmorell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 09:19 PM   #28
cmetzg03
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
cmetzg03's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-30-11
Location: White Lake/roscommon
Posts: 8,144
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
Google "REI anti ORV"
I'm glad you brought this up I was going to order something from them today, glad I didn't and won't be.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sol Goode View Post
Man, this site was so much better before cmetzg03 joined
cmetzg03 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 10:36 PM   #29
yj_hank
Senior Member
 
yj_hank's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-26-07
Location: Adrian Mi
Posts: 103
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I also like to have a good quality hatchet. Great for kindling or pounding in tent stakes.

Henry
yj_hank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #30
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 20,056
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Default

Or
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 10:17 AM   #31
Outdoors
Field Repairs
 
Outdoors's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-08-06
Location: Stevensville
Posts: 164
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Trioxane bars to start a fire. It's 5 minutes of blue flame, and will start wet wood. Purchase a large metal mixing bowl that holds 2 gallons of liquid. You can use it for everything from washing dishes to prepping food. WHen you break camp it will hold your small items like seasonings, spatchula, paper plates, etc... I have a two page list of everything I need. I print it off before each trip, and check everything off. #1 item is a trash bag. Nothing worse than people that trash a campsite.
Outdoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 09:26 PM   #32
frdboy
Wishin' I waz fishin'
 
frdboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Grand Haven, MI
Posts: 11,329
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by pigfat View Post
percolator camping coffee maker, aint nothing better, bug spray, sunscreen, chapstick. trash bags, q tips, camping lighter. weather radio and depending on where you go camping it is advisable to carry a firearm if camping in the woods and if around bears make sure you have an adequate firearm for the situation.
Win


Quote:
Originally Posted by Outdoors View Post
Trioxane bars to start a fire. It's 5 minutes of blue flame, and will start wet wood. Purchase a large metal mixing bowl that holds 2 gallons of liquid. You can use it for everything from washing dishes to prepping food. WHen you break camp it will hold your small items like seasonings, spatchula, paper plates, etc... I have a two page list of everything I need. I print it off before each trip, and check everything off. #1 item is a trash bag. Nothing worse than people that trash a campsite.
X2
__________________
Cheap Thrills Off Road

2003 F-250 4X4 7.3 PSD Crew Cab

1971 Bronco
frdboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2013, 11:26 PM   #33
oz97tj
Wasn't this attached?
 
oz97tj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-07
Location: Fenton, MI
Posts: 4,026
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I used to take a boat load of stuff with me camping with my jeep. I never even touched most of it other than loading or unloading it. Then I started camping with my motorcycle and I had to pare down due to the obvious lack of room. I realized I still have everything I "need" and packing, set up and tear down is much quicker. I've also bit the bullet and purchased better quality gear because it often packs smaller / lighter, and a side benefit is is usually sets up and breaks down faster too, not to mention works very well vs the cheap stuff that leaks / rips / sweats / etc.

Moral of the story, figure out the bare minimum of what you need and only take it. It'll make camping more fun anyway.
__________________
Support the sport. Join GLFWDA!
********GLFWDA.org********

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alter Ego View Post
Oz's Jeep is downright anti-bling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Green again View Post
Will someone please argue with me?
oz97tj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:45 AM   #34
mtnbikinbryno
Senior Member
 
mtnbikinbryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: TC
Posts: 5,404
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikinbryno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz97tj View Post
I used to take a boat load of stuff with me camping with my jeep. I never even touched most of it other than loading or unloading it. Then I started camping with my motorcycle and I had to pare down due to the obvious lack of room. I realized I still have everything I "need" and packing, set up and tear down is much quicker. I've also bit the bullet and purchased better quality gear because it often packs smaller / lighter, and a side benefit is is usually sets up and breaks down faster too, not to mention works very well vs the cheap stuff that leaks / rips / sweats / etc.

Moral of the story, figure out the bare minimum of what you need and only take it. It'll make camping more fun anyway.
Meh. It's car camping, might as well spoil yourself. Bacon and eggs in a cooler, growler of cold beer, gigantor tent, firewood, Coleman lantern, big old camp chair, cast iron skillet - why not?

For backpacking it's the complete opposite. One pair of underwear for every two days, water filter, mac n' cheese, candle lantern, fire starters (I like cotton balls rubbed in petroleum jelly), bug spray.
mtnbikinbryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 08:59 AM   #35
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Default

I guess I am a car camper

Lot's of good ideas in this thread. I like to camp at camp grounds. I have never just backpacked it in the woods. I would like to experience that one day. But for now, it's usually campgrounds and I will be pulling my Jeep so no travel trailer.

I have an old Gander Mountain tent that has one working door, two storage bins (one for dry food like chips, buns, cookies, etc, and one for my tarps and stakes), sleeping bags, air mattress, and my parents cooler

I will be adding to my gear throughout the year. Like I said in my OP, my next purchase will be a portable grill. I love charcoal, but LP is just a little easier and quicker (and cleaner). Any ideas on this grill?
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58145-Stainless-Portable-Propane/dp/B00C2TETI6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372251413&sr=8-3&keywords=camco+grill
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 09:01 AM   #36
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikinbryno View Post
I like cotton balls rubbed in petroleum jelly
I haven't done that since I was in boy scouts
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 09:04 AM   #37
mtnbikinbryno
Senior Member
 
mtnbikinbryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: TC
Posts: 5,404
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikinbryno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post
I haven't done that since I was in boy scouts
It works great! Got a fire going last month on North Manitou after it had rained for 2 days.
mtnbikinbryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #38
mtnbikinbryno
Senior Member
 
mtnbikinbryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: TC
Posts: 5,404
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikinbryno
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8PTBUCK View Post

I will be adding to my gear throughout the year. Like I said in my OP, my next purchase will be a portable grill. I love charcoal, but LP is just a little easier and quicker (and cleaner). Any ideas on this grill?
http://www.amazon.com/Camco-58145-Stainless-Portable-Propane/dp/B00C2TETI6/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1372251413&sr=8-3&keywords=camco+grill
Don't know about the one you posted but I've had one of these forever.
mtnbikinbryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 09:08 AM   #39
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Default

I don't have much room to keep my gear. I have an ECSB truck, and I keep all my gear in my bed. I recently bought a tonneau cover last week. It is a Lund tri-fold. It was a good deal and I got it right before I left for Silver Lake (had it on in 5 minutes, then hit the road!). I always bring my tools, and my crate of oils, lubes, and PB Blaster. So I have almost a full 6.5' bed to work with. I don't like keeping gear in the cab. It's nice to not have to look at all the clutter in the back seat.

I use a cooler and ice to keep my food cold (like most of you I'm assuming). Is there a way to keep the food cold, but keep it dry? I know that can be accomplished by just draining the water from the ice melting from the cooler, but is there a different way? Say putting the ice in big zip lock bags? I had mayo and relish in the cooler, and forgot to drain the water, and when I unpacked, all the labels were peeling off. It's not a big deal, but it got me to thinking of an alternative way to keep the food cold and out of water.
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #40
8PTBUCK
The local hipster, yo!
 
8PTBUCK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-02-09
Location: Waterford/Gladwin, MI
Posts: 5,838
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 67 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikinbryno View Post
Don't know about the one you posted but I've had one of these forever.
I looked at those too. Seems pretty meat and potatoes. It's exactly what I want. Small, compact, and has a decent sized cook top when cooking for at least two people. They are a lot cheaper than the one I posted too. How easy is it to clean that grill?
8PTBUCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > Other Stuff > The Great Outdoors

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:51 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.30568 seconds with 82 queries