This is what the media won't tell you about the Soldiers - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:16 PM   #21
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
I agree it was a great thing to do but I also think it was foolish because it put the lives of his officers in danger and that danger came back to bite him in the ass.
How did it put the officers lives in danger? The unit did it as a team, they acted as one with a specific mission in mind. You have never been there, and cannot even come close to knowing how they were thinking, so don't try. And there are other examples that I posted that show our troops doing good, but again, you really don't understand. I'm sure you'll give me a witty response or a put down, but that's okay. You still won't have a clue as to what made these soldiers do what they did. Does it have something to do with the war? I think it does, but then, I understand how these men think and what possessed them to act as they did.

As for the media, no I really don't expect to see much of the good the troops do come out of them. The media is the electronic version of the tabloids, they are there to entertain the audience. The fact that bad news sells dictates what they tell us. And it doesn't matter if you are right or left wing, liberal or conservative. You will change the channel until you find the show that agrees with you and makes you feel better. And then, that is the one that knows the most, because it agrees with you.
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old December 10th, 2006, 02:57 PM   #22
TJrockdogg
Living on the Edge
 
TJrockdogg's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-10-06
Location: Chesterfield,MI
Posts: 2,076
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
How did it put the officers lives in danger? The unit did it as a team, they acted as one with a specific mission in mind. You have never been there, and cannot even come close to knowing how they were thinking, so don't try. And there are other examples that I posted that show our troops doing good, but again, you really don't understand. I'm sure you'll give me a witty response or a put down, but that's okay. You still won't have a clue as to what made these soldiers do what they did. Does it have something to do with the war? I think it does, but then, I understand how these men think and what possessed them to act as they did.

As for the media, no I really don't expect to see much of the good the troops do come out of them. The media is the electronic version of the tabloids, they are there to entertain the audience. The fact that bad news sells dictates what they tell us. And it doesn't matter if you are right or left wing, liberal or conservative. You will change the channel until you find the show that agrees with you and makes you feel better. And then, that is the one that knows the most, because it agrees with you.


very good thread RJ, as a vetran myself I know both sides of the stories. it is very unfortunate that the media is only out to make a buck and inform the people of what pays the most.
one thing the military has taught me is to be a realist, too many people are comfortable living in media make believe.
TJrockdogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:13 PM   #23
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,509
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
How did it put the officers lives in danger? The unit did it as a team, they acted as one with a specific mission in mind. You have never been there, and cannot even come close to knowing how they were thinking, so don't try. And there are other examples that I posted that show our troops doing good, but again, you really don't understand. I'm sure you'll give me a witty response or a put down, but that's okay. You still won't have a clue as to what made these soldiers do what they did. Does it have something to do with the war? I think it does, but then, I understand how these men think and what possessed them to act as they did.
From the article

"Visiting Under Cover of Darkness

For the next three months, Walsh and the team made house calls under the cloak of darkness into the dangerous city to help the baby."

If you consider that not putting themselves in harms way then I don't know what to tell you and please help me understand what this had to do with the war? Now, If they went in there and blasted away the family because they were insurgents then I would agree with you that it had something to do with the war. Another question is were they doing this on their own time?? I would expect them to be hunting down insurgents (doing thier job) instead of helping a baby. They are soilders, not redcross workers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icemanii View Post
As for the media, no I really don't expect to see much of the good the troops do come out of them. The media is the electronic version of the tabloids, they are there to entertain the audience. The fact that bad news sells dictates what they tell us. And it doesn't matter if you are right or left wing, liberal or conservative. You will change the channel until you find the show that agrees with you and makes you feel better. And then, that is the one that knows the most, because it agrees with you.
I completely agree with you. The news is more entertainment to get people to watch their programming instead of another channels.
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:30 PM   #24
bambam
MMMM.......Beer
 
bambam's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-11-05
Location: holly
Posts: 776
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
Another question is were they doing this on their own time?? I would expect them to be hunting down insurgents (doing thier job) instead of helping a baby. They are soilders, not redcross workers.
.

If you was not so busy worring what Bush is doing you would know we are over there now trying to help the people of Iraq,not just to kill the insurgents!
Protecting that baby is part of the process of doing that.
bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:37 PM   #25
Chiefwoohaw
Pokerob is my B*tch!
 
Chiefwoohaw's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Cincinnati, OH
Posts: 11,509
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bambam View Post
If you was not so busy worring what Bush is doing you would know we are over there now trying to help the people of Iraq,not just to kill the insurgents!
Protecting that baby is part of the process of doing that.
O okay, thanks for clearing that up But then that would make this a peace keeping mission right? Wasn't that similar to what Vietnam was?
Chiefwoohaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 03:46 PM   #26
bambam
MMMM.......Beer
 
bambam's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-11-05
Location: holly
Posts: 776
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chiefwoohaw View Post
O okay, thanks for clearing that up But then that would make this a peace keeping mission right? Wasn't that similar to what Vietnam was?
Last time I check there was'nt much peace over there to begin with in the first place!!!
bambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:42 PM   #27
Icemanii
GLFWDA Land Use Committee
 
Icemanii's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: 48085
Posts: 5,233
iTrader: (16)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Yes, they did put themselves in a bit of danger. Your original statement said they put the officers in danger, that is what I was questioning. As for them not doing their jobs, you are wrong. Not only were they still performing their duties, they went above and beyond to help out a child, in their off time.

As I have stated, you will never understand how this kind of thinking works. Veterans and those still serving can, but you will never know. And to me, that's your loss, but then, you'll not understand that either.
Icemanii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 10th, 2006, 11:47 PM   #28
GreaseMonkey
Pew pew!
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,045
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Mikesova and Chiefwoohaw...both of you read in between the lines worse than a woman.
__________________
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.19034 seconds with 45 queries