Pope Francis states "Atheists can be good" - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:02 PM   #21
14muddn
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 02-10-08
Location: Wixom/MI
Posts: 1,773
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Christianity 101, A person needs to make the choice to accept Christ as thier Lord and Savior. To believe that Christ is who He said He was and that He died for the sin of the world.
Being good is not good enough. Most people are good and decent people. If that is all it took to go to heaven then why did God send His Son to die on a cross for our sin? To accept Christ is the first step and the rest is up to God to change in you.




Again it is not about the gretaer good. One can believe if they are good enough they get to go to heaven but that is simply not true. Jesus is the only way.



I guess you could say they prayed about it and all came to the same conclusion that this pope was the one that God choose.
There are 66 books within the Bible and over 40 different authors, written over a 1500 year period, in 3 different languages and on 3 different continents with no historical errors or contradictions from Genisis to Revelations. It bears the mark of Divine inspiration. Check it out, your destination is important.




Dude, neither you or any other bible thumper makes the judgement of who gets into heaven...
14muddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:48 PM   #22
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,084
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Why is it that everybody makes the statement that Christians are judging others who don't believe?
I am not judging anybody. If you don't believe in Jesus, thats fine with me. If your gay thats ok too, if you support gay marriage thats fine. Just because I don't does not make me the judge. That is up to Jesus. He will judge all that reject Him.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 05:55 PM   #23
Sam Bernstein
Newbie
 
Sam Bernstein's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-15-13
Location: Detroit
Posts: 7
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Why is it that everybody makes the statement that Christians are judging others who don't believe?
I am not judging anybody. If you don't believe in Jesus, thats fine with me. If your gay thats ok too, if you support gay marriage thats fine. Just because I don't does not make me the judge. That is up to Jesus. He will judge all that reject Him.
I know some Judges, do we need some help here?
Sam Bernstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:07 PM   #24
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 16,312
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by sam bernstein View Post
i know some judges, do we need some help here?
bwahahahahahahaha!
__________________
Associate Membership Secretary/Membership Secretary
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Support The Sport!

We must all go through a rite of passage and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 06:57 PM   #25
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,084
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:00 PM   #26
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,745
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Your salvation is Not a joke.
Be a detective and investigate the bible, read it and talk to people who know it, a pastor would be a good place to start.
Been there. Done that.

Passed on it every time because I could never get past the fact that everything that I'm supposed to believe is the "word of God" is nothing more than a compilation of stories slapped together and edited by men over the course of centuries by organizations that would still have us believing the sun revolved around the Earth.

Nothing you say will ever change that fact. You can believe in it all you want. If it helps you change your life for the better then by all means but my immortal soul is no more at risk for disbelieving it than yours is for believing it.
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 07:12 PM   #27
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,025
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Jesus clearly said, the only way to the Father(heaven) is through Him(Jesus). By accepting Christ as your savior.
You can do all the good deeds your little heart desires but that does not get you saved.
I will have to disagree with the pope on this one.
How does it feel to be more pushy and judge mental than the pope??
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 08:53 PM   #28
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,927
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob the plumber View Post
Jesus didn't clearly say shit. That fairytale book has been rewritten and modified to suit. :)
You should look into how many manuscripts are there to back up those 'fairy tales that have been re-written'. They span decades and the text is almost, baring a few differences in spelling and Translation into English, the exact same thing you can read at any hotel.


Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
Been there. Done that.

Passed on it every time because I could never get past the fact that everything that I'm supposed to believe is the "word of God" is nothing more than a compilation of stories slapped together and edited by men over the course of centuries by organizations that would still have us believing the sun revolved around the Earth.
I really wish I could find the lecture I watched on TV a couple weeks ago. It basically just blew what you typed out of the water. You can believe that it's been modified and re-written but you're wrong.

You claim these edits and additions to the text are for power and control but fail to realize what the 'main character' of the NT teaches. That is complete surrender to God and God alone. Not authorities, religious leaders, or any other all powerful human except Christ alone. Someone who wanted a book to teach and force power and control wouldn't teach things like "love your neighbor" or "the meek will inherit the earth". You wouldn't have your main character defy relgious authorities (those that you claim edited the book to gain power) and be victorious. To be completely honest the Gospel is an Anti-Control/power message. If I was a devious and shrewd person who wanted to control people, I would have changed the story in a different way.

Quote:
Nothing you say will ever change that fact. You can believe in it all you want. If it helps you change your life for the better then by all means but my immortal soul is no more at risk for disbelieving it than yours is for believing it.
IF, and I understand the hugeness of that if, what we believe is true, your immortal soul is at a huge risk. That's why we do what we do.

Pen Gillette (from Pen and Teller) once said it very well. He's an athiest, but he understands. Paraphrased "Don't get mad at Christian friends or families, or even that guy on the street corner. They believe that your going to hell and for them to have the guts, courage, compassion, and concern for your mortal soul shows that they truly care about you."


To the Original Topic. Athiests can be good. I've, at least, agreed with that for a long while on here. Being good or bad has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO with being saved in Christianity. It's all about Jesus. Our Good deeds, at the best time in our lives, are like filthy rags (translated properly as Menstrual rags) to God. The whole point of the laws of moses were to teach us that we have no chance to meet the standards of God. Christian, non-Christian, doesn't matter. We need Christ to bridge the Gap for us.

Anywho, Back to training summer staff.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2013, 09:13 PM   #29
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,084
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Penn talks about having faith shared to him, from an athiests point of view and thinking about it from a logical angle.
Pay attention at the 3:30

aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #30
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 17,976
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

You two are the Energizer bunnies of Christianity. You never stop or shut the fukc up.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:29 AM   #31
bigbchevy
missmrgreenagain
 
bigbchevy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-15-07
Location: fenton /hartland mi
Posts: 18,743
iTrader: (167)
Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
You two are the Energizer bunnies of Christianity. You never stop or shut the fukc up.
__________________
H.o.r.e
(mr.green)So you are calling CC a liar?? Not a nice way to treat your bitch.
tube bending and gear installs pm me for info! gears installed for $150 and up per axle.
bigbchevy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #32
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,745
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
You two are the Energizer bunnies of Christianity. You never stop or shut the fukc up.


And now Penn is the Atheist's Jesus.


Da fuq?
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 07:17 AM   #33
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,639
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I'm an atheist. I'm pretty good.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:24 AM   #34
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,927
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
You two are the Energizer bunnies of Christianity. You never stop or shut the fukc up.
Pope = Catholic = Christian. The topic is Christianity.
This will be my second post in this thread.
Neither of us started the thread.

How, exactly, am I being annoying? DidI miss something? Or could it be that our presence and knowledge about our Faith that we that we bring to the table make it harder for you to Mock it?
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:28 AM   #35
SS
Blinded By The Light
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Mogadishu, Somalia
Posts: 11,745
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Default

The hostility mostly comes from the "non-offensive" way of Christians telling you that you're going to boil in a lake of fire for all of eternity because you don't believe what they do.

Might have a wee bit to do with it.
__________________
-Jeremy

Watch yourself. I'll light you up.
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #36
Flexin' XJ
Senior Member
 
Flexin' XJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-04-07
Location: Holt, MI
Posts: 4,459
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I believe I am a good person, I do good deeds now and then. I don't do bad ones. I am an Atheiest, therefore, I don't care if I can't get into a place I don't believe exists.

And please don't pray for me. You could spend that time doing something constructive.
Flexin' XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:30 PM   #37
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,084
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
The hostility mostly comes from the "non-offensive" way of Christians telling you that you're going to boil in a lake of fire for all of eternity because you don't believe what they do.

Might have a wee bit to do with it.
If you actually understood what you were talking about then I could move on, but you don't or you just think you do.
Being separated from God for eternity is something hard to wrap your brain around. You are speaking not from experience but from what you hear others talking about. Invest serious time into understanding what your salvation is and how you can come to the realization that God is for you and not against you.
You said, been there done that. That is something you cannot do on your own.
I read a quote from a guy and it goes like this,
To understand God using human wisdom is like searching for the sun with a candle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flexin' XJ View Post
I believe I am a good person, I do good deeds now and then. I don't do bad ones. I am an Atheiest, therefore, I don't care if I can't get into a place I don't believe exists.

And please don't pray for me. You could spend that time doing something constructive.
You say you are good? By whose standards are you using to make that claim?
Just because you don't believe, does not mean it does not exist.
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:49 PM   #38
silveradoboy
Sam Brown
 
silveradoboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-28-12
Location: Waterford/Cheyboygan
Posts: 1,923
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Just because you don't believe, does not mean it does not exist.
Just because you do believe, does not mean it does exist!
silveradoboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #39
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,463
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
Why is it that everybody makes the statement that Christians are judging others who don't believe?
I am not judging anybody. If you don't believe in Jesus, thats fine with me. If your gay thats ok too, if you support gay marriage thats fine. Just because I don't does not make me the judge. That is up to Jesus. He will judge all that reject Him.
The topic of this thread is can someone who has different religious beliefs, or none at all, be considered a "good person". The Pope said yes, in your previous post you said no. You judged the worthiness of a person on what they believe. to me that is you being judgmental, not Jesus doing anything.
brewmenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 24th, 2013, 12:54 PM   #40
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,639
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

And people wonder why Bible thumpers are annoying.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:10 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.34912 seconds with 82 queries