Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old May 15th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #21
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,083
iTrader: (46)
RockSolid Perf.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 02:51 PM   #22
mschaffer66
Senior Member
 
mschaffer66's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield, MI
Posts: 9,174
iTrader: (17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I STILL do not understand why people are concerned about unit bearings and ball joints. Buy good products and they will hold up
x2. But what do I know. I don't build anything.

If I did it again I think I would have gone with a UB/BJ D60. Yeah old school hubs are rebuildable and blah blah blah, but for as often as a UB is actually going to go bad I can deal with it being a throw away part.
mschaffer66 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #23
kkodet
Formerly Route55
 
kkodet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Marine City, Michigan
Posts: 4,082
iTrader: (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I STILL do not understand why people are concerned about unit bearings and ball joints. Buy good products and they will hold up.

13 races on the 4400 buggy and I replaced exactly 0 unit bearings (I even ripped the knuckle off the axle and the uni bearing was fine). I DID replace the balljoints twice. Once was preventative maintenancebefor KOH, and the other was after landing in a washout which sheared my knuckle off (mentioned above).

Not to mention my tire/wheel combo is about 144 lbs per corner...

also as mentioned, rock solid has an awesome high steer kit that really isn't that expensive.
For what you are doing your setup should be fine. As for strength of kingpin vs. balljoint I believe them to be comparable. The only benefit of kingpin for me is the cheaper price of highsteer and aftermarket components (plus I have kingpin 60 parts up the wazoo in stock already)

Now, as for unit bearing vs. rebuildable, there is a great difference, and that is the long term wear that you would not see on your buggy. From an engineering standpoint most unit bearings are weaker because they are much narrower from bearing race to bearing race internally. Thus the taller/heavier/wider wheel/tire combos put more stress on them that they would on wider race rebuildables. Day to day driving with big tires can eat up unit bearings fast.

Another big difference is water and mud, which on a trail rig is always a concern. Heavy mud and water fording will push contaminants into the hubs, no matter what the design. A little grease is alot cheaper than new bearings.

With all that being said I am swapping a unit bearing Dana 60 into the Excursion with 37 inch rubber, eventually. So we'll see how it holds up!
kkodet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 12:37 PM   #24
Elvis13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Addison Township, MI
Posts: 1,172
iTrader: (7)
I've never seen a dually excursion so i'm assuming you're planning on a SRW. Do not forget that ALL SRW superduties ran 50's from 99 to sometime in '02. This narrows your search possibilities down to a couple 02's, 03's and 04's F-350's.
Elvis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 01:47 PM   #25
kkodet
Formerly Route55
 
kkodet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Marine City, Michigan
Posts: 4,082
iTrader: (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elvis13 View Post
I've never seen a dually excursion so i'm assuming you're planning on a SRW. Do not forget that ALL SRW superduties ran 50's from 99 to sometime in '02. This narrows your search possibilities down to a couple 02's, 03's and 04's F-350's.
Yup, as I already posted, I have an '03 60 I paid $375 for.
kkodet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 03:05 PM   #26
lgottler
Senior Member
 
lgottler's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-30-06
Location: New Baltimore, MI
Posts: 1,220
iTrader: (15)
I think you should convert it to 2wd. Gas savings, weight savings, etc. Face it, with a dozen people riding around in there by the time you load everyone up and get ready, then when you get to the trail head it will be time to turn around and go home!
lgottler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 04:03 PM   #27
Lousypirate
Bud Light Man of Genius
 
Lousypirate's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-11-08
Location: Norton Shores 49441
Posts: 8,529
iTrader: (27)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
I think you should convert it to 2wd. Gas savings, weight savings, etc. Face it, with a dozen people riding around in there by the time you load everyone up and get ready, then when you get to the trail head it will be time to turn around and go home!
If it is already 4wd, leave it 4wd. I know this is sarcasm.

I would go path of last resistance, option 1. Quality rebuild and go. Chapter in long run to justify replacing parts as maintenance.
__________________
77 Chevy K30 partout thread
94 12v dually partout



Have you given your life up to traction lately?
Lousypirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 18th, 2013, 05:16 PM   #28
kkodet
Formerly Route55
 
kkodet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Marine City, Michigan
Posts: 4,082
iTrader: (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgottler View Post
I think you should convert it to 2wd. Gas savings, weight savings, etc. Face it, with a dozen people riding around in there by the time you load everyone up and get ready, then when you get to the trail head it will be time to turn around and go home!
Hmm, a slammed Excursion would look sweet, lol :D
kkodet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 07:42 PM   #29
cerial
Senior Member
 
cerial's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-06-08
Location: Caledonia,MI
Posts: 1,666
iTrader: (3)
14/50 hybrid(to match your bolt pattern and junk).


Or build a 14 steering.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...wheeler-part-3


I could not find the one where he builds a 14/50 hybrid but the tech is out there. Think it was on trucks actually.

Last edited by cerial; May 19th, 2013 at 07:45 PM.
cerial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 07:51 PM   #30
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 7,931
iTrader: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerial View Post
14/50 hybrid(to match your bolt pattern and junk).


Or build a 14 steering.

http://www.powerblocktv.com/episodes...wheeler-part-3


I could not find the one where he builds a 14/50 hybrid but the tech is out there. Think it was on trucks actually.
High steer is not expensive. Talk to ROCKSOLID performance. What is wrong with unit bearings? Why build a steering 14b? A 35 spline 60 shaft is just as beefy as a 14b shaft. The 14b has the extra pinion support but you are putting the strain on the coast side of the gears. If you aren't going to buy the fancy bling shafts and locker what are you gaining?
__________________
I hate being bipolar, its great!

jeep turned buggy now back to jeep
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=175584
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:55 PM   #31
kkodet
Formerly Route55
 
kkodet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Marine City, Michigan
Posts: 4,082
iTrader: (47)
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
High steer is not expensive. Talk to ROCKSOLID performance. What is wrong with unit bearings? Why build a steering 14b? A 35 spline 60 shaft is just as beefy as a 14b shaft. The 14b has the extra pinion support but you are putting the strain on the coast side of the gears. If you aren't going to buy the fancy bling shafts and locker what are you gaining?
Exactly, kinda. A coarse 30 spline 14 shaft is actually weaker than a fine spline 35 spline shaft by almost 3,000 ft. lbs. of shear torque. Plus a 14 bolt housing is nodular iron (takes special rod to weld to) and 14 bolts have crappy ground clearance, and not as much strength as a reverse cut 60 ring and pinion. A 14/50 axle doesn't gain much.
kkodet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2013, 08:59 PM   #32
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 7,931
iTrader: (19)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Route55 View Post
Exactly, kinda. A coarse 30 spline 14 shaft is actually weaker than a fine spline 35 spline shaft by almost 3,000 ft. lbs. of shear torque. Plus a 14 bolt housing is nodular iron (takes special rod to weld to) and 14 bolts have crappy ground clearance, and not as much strength as a reverse cut 60 ring and pinion. A 14/50 axle doesn't gain much.
You can shave the hell out of a 14b and that helps with ground clearance. The one on my buggy ended up with almost the clearance of a Dana 44. It doesn't help the low pinion though.
__________________
I hate being bipolar, its great!

jeep turned buggy now back to jeep
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=175584
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Ford Tech
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:48 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright İ2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright İ2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.16517 seconds with 37 queries