My poor dog! new video without cast - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:15 AM   #41
RubiGr8LJ
Mello Yello
 
RubiGr8LJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-29-08
Location: Beaverton, MI
Posts: 490
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

[quote=montecarlo33;3340239][QUOTE=cameron69;3340196]blind dogs actually can do very well on their own, even better with help from their humans. she does really awesome, better than I was ever expecting when we realized she would be blind some day. when she lost her first eye the eye doctor told us we would have between 3-31 months before the other eye would go, she made it 33 months.
Quote:

Its an amazing thing isnt it? My grandpas 14 year old dashound has been diabetic for going on 3 yrs now. I give her incluin twice a day in the back of the neck along with feeding her special food. About a year into it her vision started to go, and now she it totally blind and eyes are a glazed over cloud, kinda freaky looking at her, always thought it would be funny to get her a set of goggles like motorcycle dogs have. She can sense when I walk in the door because she only seems to bark at me which my grandpa finds funny but I find it amazing because Ive tested this over and over and no barking with my gf or her kids running around. But like your dog, she has the whole house mapped out and as long as we dont go moving stuff around and pick up after oursevles like we should then she is fine, every once in awhile she will take a wrong turn but once I straighten her out she is good again. I do it for my grandpa because he loves this dog and her Q.O.L is also good but she has lived way longer than I thought she would with incilin. Sorry to hear your dog got hurt, but when we leave(my grandpa rarely leaves the house by his own choice so someone is always there with her) we do put her in a kenel and she knows whats up and lays down in her bed. Like a safe zone because we feared she would get hurt looking for grandpa. I hope your dog has a good and speedy recovery!
1/3 tsp Bragg Apple Cider Vinegar in 4oz of distilled water. You can use as an eyewash or as drops. Repeat 2 to 3 times a day. Keep eye lids closed for 2 minutes after applying liquid. Sometimes slight smarting occurs.

Use Apple Cider Vinegar daily
2oz of vinegar to 8oz of water.
Be sure that it is natural apple cider vinegar

Source(s):

http://www.bragg.com
Bragg book on Apple Cider Vinegar
RubiGr8LJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old May 4th, 2013, 12:41 AM   #42
creeping death
I'm that guy.
 
creeping death's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-11-08
Location: MUSKEGON, MI. 49442
Posts: 7,846
iTrader: (77)
Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Default

what an awesome friend you have. i have three labs and one is blind in one eye and the will go eventually. the hairy children bring so much to the table and ask for nothing in return. you will never find another (human) friend that will give you so much unconditional companionship as that damn hairy kid. i find it absolutely amazing how dogs just go through day to day life with a handicap and seem only mildly affected by the things that would devastate us humans. as jeff said, people could learn alot from a dog. i'm glad you have such a good friend and wish her the best of luck.
__________________
You ain't got no problem, Jules. I'm on the motherfucker.
creeping death is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 4th, 2013, 05:45 AM   #43
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,007
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by creeping death View Post
what an awesome friend you have. i have three labs and one is blind in one eye and the will go eventually. the hairy children bring so much to the table and ask for nothing in return. you will never find another (human) friend that will give you so much unconditional companionship as that damn hairy kid. i find it absolutely amazing how dogs just go through day to day life with a handicap and seem only mildly affected by the things that would devastate us humans. as jeff said, people could learn alot from a dog. i'm glad you have such a good friend and wish her the best of luck.

All they ask for is your companionship. My dog doesn't seem to care what we are doing as long as he is with me.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 05:27 PM   #44
chris1044
Senior Member
 
chris1044's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lost in the mitten!
Posts: 2,012
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron69 View Post
updates on Sasha.
We went to the vet Saturday, Monday and Thursday in the last 7 days resulting in a new bandage per visit. She DOES NOT want that thing on her leg anymore! The cone they had given her was too short so now we have a new longer one, and it is going on be on her when ever we are not able to physically be with her. Also got some lickguard to hopefully help keep her away from it.

The Dr. says her bone is healing nicely albeit slow. It has mended enough that Monday they decided to remove the splint and just put on a soft bandage for support so she can start walking on it. They want her lightly using it to help promote growth in the bone. She had the toes open on Mondays bandage so she could actually walk on it properly but she would still favor it as it had been in a splint for 6 weeks and a few days, so it's gonna be sore for a bit. Yesterdays bandage was done by a different vets office and tech so they wrapped the toes and she can't walk on it properly again, so she is keeping it off the ground. which is fine by me, as I want that bone healed! We are keeping her inactive and keeping a close eye on her when we are home. She is tired of that thing on her leg, as are we but we gotta stick it out for a bit longer. More x-rays on 5-13 so hopefully the bandage can come off and just keep her moving slow for a bit after that, and we will be all set. I will get some pictures of her in the cone of shame tonight for some public humiliation therapy.
Kudos to you for keeping her around. Obviously as most dog owners know, they really do become part of the family. I think a lot of people in your position would have pawned her off or worse yet

Can she still fetch? My parents had a spaniel that would walk into walls, but if you threw the ball he brought you, it would be back at your feet within 30 seconds. Funny part was that half the time he'd just tromp right through my mothers flower bed in the process. Eventually he lost his hearing as well and relied solely upon his nose to get around the house/yard. It's amazing how they adapt and overcome...
chris1044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2013, 09:48 PM   #45
bbaXJ
Yooper In Training
 
bbaXJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-29-06
Location: Fowlertucky, MI
Posts: 4,755
iTrader: (62)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to bbaXJ
Default

I love this thread. It's always great to see other people willing to treat their dogs as well as they treat us. I'll never understand people who aren't like that, and frankly I don't want to.
bbaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:28 AM   #46
cameron69
dog farts are the worst!!
 
cameron69's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-15-08
Location: Dryden
Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris1044 View Post
Kudos to you for keeping her around. Obviously as most dog owners know, they really do become part of the family. I think a lot of people in your position would have pawned her off or worse yet

Can she still fetch? My parents had a spaniel that would walk into walls, but if you threw the ball he brought you, it would be back at your feet within 30 seconds. Funny part was that half the time he'd just tromp right through my mothers flower bed in the process. Eventually he lost his hearing as well and relied solely upon his nose to get around the house/yard. It's amazing how they adapt and overcome...
I made a commitment to her when I got her from the shelter that I will not break! I think I would even keep one of my human step children around if they lost their sight!

she will be no place as long as she lives but with me. if something happens to me I am sure my wife will do her best to honor my commitment to both of them.

She was never into fetch, more like I throw it she would go get it, lay down under a tree and chew on it. She still plays tug-o-war, and she has 2 babies that her sister knows not to mess with! She has had them for years and they are the only 2 stuffed animals in the house that still have the stuffing where it belongs, and not strewn all through the house.
she will just lay with them or lick them and carry them around the house. she does bite down on them but it is just to hear the Squeaker (that does not squeak anymore) crinkle. she will grab a bone out of the toy basket and chew on it as well.

Last edited by cameron69; May 7th, 2013 at 09:33 AM.
cameron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:49 AM   #47
ReiKo
Community Smart Ass.....
 
ReiKo's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-06-13
Location: Detroit
Posts: 639
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cameron69 View Post
I made a commitment to her when I got her from the shelter that I will not break! I think I would even keep one of my human step children around if they lost their sight!

she will be no place as long as she lives but with me. if something happens to me I am sure my wife will do her best to honor my commitment to both of them.

She was never into fetch, more like I throw it she would go get it, lay down under a tree and chew on it. She still plays tug-o-war, and she has 2 babies that her sister knows not to mess with! She has had them for years and they are the only 2 stuffed animals in the house that still have the stuffing where it belongs, and not strewn all through the house.
she will just lay with them or lick them and carry them around the house. she does bite down on them but it is just to hear the Squeaker (that does not squeak anymore) crinkle. she will grab a bone out of the toy basket and chew on it as well.
Dude your choking me up here... I give you all the respect in the world for doing what you're doing... 99.9% of people would of thrown in the towel and put them down...
ReiKo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 09:50 AM   #48
cameron69
dog farts are the worst!!
 
cameron69's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-15-08
Location: Dryden
Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

You can't see me in the tall grass so I'm gonna lick my bandages! Lol NOT!

This was Sunday we were in the yard all day and she loved it!

Last edited by cameron69; May 15th, 2013 at 08:28 AM.
cameron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #49
jbsjunk
Meow
 
jbsjunk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-01-08
Location: Almost Allendale Mi
Posts: 13,730
iTrader: (36)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReiKo View Post
Dude your choking me up here... I give you all the respect in the world for doing what you're doing... 99.9% of people would of thrown in the towel and put them down...
+2. Friggin' onions anyway.
jbsjunk is online now   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #50
cameron69
dog farts are the worst!!
 
cameron69's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-15-08
Location: Dryden
Posts: 1,465
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

So Saturday I was in California for my brothers USMC retirement ceremony, and I get a call from the wife. Sasha got to her bandage again somehow and chewed it off to just above the wrist, two days before her next appointment. So after the last visit to the vet two weeks ago, he took the splint off and just put on a bandage for support. He said it was healing well but still wanted it to have some support. Well being as she chewed it up past where the break was, we decided just to take the rest of it off and take her in on Monday as scheduled. we kept her inactive and off the beds as we had been while she was in the cast. Doc said she is good to go as normal but still keep her off the beds for a while yet. He said she can go for walks again and everything else, just try to keep her from jumping off things for a while.

This is a video of her getting her leg rubbed after getting the bandage off.
sorry it is kinda dark, nobody thought to turn a light on to take a video.

http://s657.photobucket.com/user/cam...7ea27.mp4.html

Last edited by cameron69; May 15th, 2013 at 12:52 PM.
cameron69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 15th, 2013, 10:41 AM   #51
catman
done haulin
 
catman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-24-06
Location: Northville, Mi
Posts: 1,287
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

That's great news!!!
__________________
When its all said and done I really don't care what people think about me...
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:44 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.21135 seconds with 54 queries