Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:15 PM   #1
hosejockey4506
Visiting Admin
 
hosejockey4506's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: fenton
Posts: 8,732
iTrader: (42)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default Internet speed ratings between U verse and charter



this is what i just tested my speed at, im paying charter just over 65 a month for internet only.

High Speed Internet 52.99
Internet Modem Lease 7.00
$59.99+ tax and junk

ATT u verse says i can get the following
express internet with 1.5Mbps "down stream" speed for 25 a month. the speed seems way slow comparing to how charter rates there plans ????

question is are they being looked at and speed rated the same way and im way over paying for internet???
__________________
one of Michigans 99% er club.
hosejockey4506 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:20 PM   #2
Complete Off Road
Axles - Driveline Parts
 
Complete Off Road's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-03-10
Location: Dubuque IA
Posts: 807
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hosejockey4506 View Post


this is what i just tested my speed at, im paying charter just over 65 a month for internet only.

High Speed Internet 52.99
Internet Modem Lease 7.00
$59.99+ tax and junk

ATT u verse says i can get the following
express internet with 1.5Mbps "down stream" speed for 25 a month. the speed seems way slow comparing to how charter rates there plans ????

question is are they being looked at and speed rated the same way and im way over paying for internet???
I used to have ATT dsl and that's the speed it was supposed to do - 1.5Mbps. It rarely achieved that, and their service sucked in our area.
__________________
Buy with confidence from
The #1 Authorized Dealer of Yukon Gear and Axle Off Road Products

563-583-5363
Andy@CompleteOffroad.com


Use code "GL4X4" at checkout for 5% off SSC branded products at CompleteOffroad.com

FREE SHIPPING ON ORDERS OVER $199*
Yukon, USA Standard, ARB, Warn, Currie, Bubba Rope, Master Pull, Trail Defense, and more
Authorized Yukon Dealer since 1998

Like us on Facebook!

*Free Shipping to USA on most items. Excludes all EATON products and oversized or heavy items. Excludes wholesale orders.
Complete Off Road is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:25 PM   #3
TJJEEP
Senior Member
 
TJJEEP's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Orchard Lake
Posts: 2,784
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to TJJEEP Send a message via MSN to TJJEEP
Default

Are you sure that's the U verse product and not their DSL product? 1.5 down is slow.

The better question to ask is what speed internet do you need? If you stream videos or download a lot 1.5 is way too slow. If all you do is surf webpages without a lot of media in them then 1.5 is fine.
__________________
If you're like me you like to talk to things. I'm Gary Busey!!
TJJEEP is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 03:26 PM   #4
wave_crusher
I'll Direc your TV
 
wave_crusher's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-09
Location: Big Rapids, MI
Posts: 4,817
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I have ATT U-verse and I love it; it's the same speed as my old charter was, but the customer service and price is a lot better.

You have to remember that just because your "speed" may be 23 mbps, and att is 1.5/3 (mine is 3), they actual usage is going to exactly the same; ATT has a lot less latency than charter does. Charter is using the same lines and locations for internet, tv and phone. Whereas (at least for me) the ATT line is dedicated to just the internet; the ping on mine takes from 14-16 ms, that makes a lot of difference when you actually start browsing and loading pages
wave_crusher is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 10:11 PM   #5
vr
Senior Member
 
vr's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: .
Posts: 4,141
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

I pay for uverse 24Mbps and it shows as 32Mbps in the router.

Here is DSL pricing for their DSL service that does not require also paying for a phone line (Charter reps try to scare customers with this "hidden" cost)
http://www.att.com/gen/general?pid=18920

Here is uverse pricing:
http://www.att.com/u-verse/explore/i...id=uGA3GiUwByo

Equipment fee is $2/mo. on my uverse bill.
If you whine about equipment or installation fee (if there is one) they'll waive it or send you prepaid cards equalling the fee.
vr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 24th, 2013, 11:04 PM   #6
schweeb
spelling nazi
 
schweeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-02-07
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 2,557
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

U-verse is by definition shared overall bandwidth between TV and Internet. You have 1 line coming in your house - either a DSL copper line, or a fiber optic line. A certain amount of the aggregate possible bandwidth on that line is allocated to Internet, and a certain amount is allocated to TV. U-Verse is IPTV. IP being Internet Protocol.

Charter is using cable modem technology, which allocates certain frequency bands to each service.

DSL latency actually tends to be a bit greater than cable modem in most cases.
__________________
[FlatFender]: ill put it like this, if she wasnt MY aunt, id hit on her
schweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:47 AM   #7
swampjeep
Swamp Stomper
 
swampjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Waterford, mi
Posts: 7,634
iTrader: (25)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by schweeb View Post
U-verse is by definition shared overall bandwidth between TV and Internet. You have 1 line coming in your house - either a DSL copper line, or a fiber optic line. A certain amount of the aggregate possible bandwidth on that line is allocated to Internet, and a certain amount is allocated to TV. U-Verse is IPTV. IP being Internet Protocol.

Charter is using cable modem technology, which allocates certain frequency bands to each service.

DSL latency actually tends to be a bit greater than cable modem in most cases.
I'm no expert but this isnt' 100% true, I have 2 lines going to my wireless router from AT&T, one is for the cable then there is a separate phone line for the internet.
swampjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:54 AM   #8
tsaguy
drink the hotdog water.
 
tsaguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-17-08
Location: Big Mountain, Michigan 48458
Posts: 4,304
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

AT&T DSL sucks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepbrattt View Post
I do drive a jeep and I have puffed a peter maybe once or twice

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveo View Post
I am willing to bet its a bunch of geriatric old farts bitching about anyone under 50 and touching each others weiners.
tsaguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 06:58 AM   #9
RyeBread
Catch the wave
 
RyeBread's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: Fenton
Posts: 7,944
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by wave_crusher View Post
I have ATT U-verse and I love it; it's the same speed as my old charter was, but the customer service and price is a lot better.

You have to remember that just because your "speed" may be 23 mbps, and att is 1.5/3 (mine is 3), they actual usage is going to exactly the same; ATT has a lot less latency than charter does. Charter is using the same lines and locations for internet, tv and phone. Whereas (at least for me) the ATT line is dedicated to just the internet; the ping on mine takes from 14-16 ms, that makes a lot of difference when you actually start browsing and loading pages

To state that "they travel the same road" is not quite an apt analogy.

Signals traveling over coax, twisted pair, etc. don't act quite the same as mixing sports car and truck traffic on the same road.

In fact the actual lines are rarely if ever the problem with packet loss or collisions - those typically happen at bottlenecks like routers and switches - and they happen in wireless, wired, fiber and copper networks both internally and out on the world wide webernets

I've already forgotten most of last semester's graduate network course in part due to how much electrical engineering is actually involved in the course segments related to the physical networking infrastructure - at my age, it hurt my feeble cranium.
RyeBread is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 07:44 AM   #10
Paul_Aris
Senior Member
 
Paul_Aris's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-25-07
Location: Spring Lake, Michigan
Posts: 197
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

All I know is I had charter and switched to AT&T U-Verse. Although the channel selection and HD selection is better with AT&T my internet is much worse with AT&T. Plus my rates kept going up. So I am switching back to charter.

With charter I got 21 MBPS or better download. Att I get 12 at best. The biggest thing I don't like with att is when I wake up my laptop or any device for that matter I have to wait 30 seconds or longer for it to connect and then when it does it is slower than charter. This is the main reason I am going back to charter. You can purchase your own modem so you don't have to pay rent price every month. That is what we did. Plus to get new customers they you can get TV and internet combo for $89.95 which will save us money.
Paul_Aris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #11
schweeb
spelling nazi
 
schweeb's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-02-07
Location: Grosse Pointe Woods, MI
Posts: 2,557
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampjeep View Post
I'm no expert but this isnt' 100% true, I have 2 lines going to my wireless router from AT&T, one is for the cable then there is a separate phone line for the internet.
If there is a coax line connected to your uverse box, that is so uverse can use it for homepna networking. Basically they can run a network over coax. They use this so they don't have to wire your entire house with cat5/6 Ethernet cables.

Follow the coax line, I bet it goes to a splitter for distribution to the rest of your house, not to the outside to pick up service.
__________________
[FlatFender]: ill put it like this, if she wasnt MY aunt, id hit on her
schweeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 25th, 2013, 01:36 PM   #12
BadMoonRacing500
Freedom isn't Free
 
BadMoonRacing500's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-11-10
Location: Harbor Springs MI
Posts: 705
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My ATT Uverse 3mbs is hit and miss, somedays it works great and can stream videos on several different computers at the sametime, other days I can hardly get it surf the net let alone play videos. After having both it and charter, charters net service is a lot better. Sadly My house is to far off the road for charter to run cable down to me, so I'm stuck with Uverse
__________________
WTF, Snot Rag.... These ain't Talls..
BadMoonRacing500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:21 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.17232 seconds with 36 queries