diff skid - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Fabrication and body armor
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old April 15th, 2013, 08:43 PM   #1
Zach4739
2005 Willys
 
Zach4739's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-11
Location: Livonia
Posts: 743
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default diff skid

not bad for little plates i found laying around and a couple hours of my time huh?

like them welds
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo0359.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	98.3 KB
ID:	104515  
Zach4739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:36 PM   #2
scare-crow
the eskimo bro
 
scare-crow's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-04-08
Location: Traverse City, MI
Posts: 1,844
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to scare-crow
Default

Looks like shit.
scare-crow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:39 PM   #3
GREASYHANDS
arachnis deathacis
 
GREASYHANDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-09
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 12,809
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Default

Keep up the practice you will get it right sometime I think
__________________
Bare Bones Offroad
RIP FS4L
Pavement sucks
Meow
GREASYHANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 08:40 PM   #4
Zach4739
2005 Willys
 
Zach4739's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-11
Location: Livonia
Posts: 743
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scare-crow View Post
Looks like shit.
ya im aware of that hot shot. function before fashion.
Zach4739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:03 PM   #5
foxworthy1102
Senior Member
 
foxworthy1102's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-12
Location: wyandotte, mi
Posts: 274
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

grind down the welds and fill in again. To many imperfections/ slag pockets for structural support. Also it looks like you heat is a little hot and you're traveling too fast
foxworthy1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:37 PM   #6
Zach4739
2005 Willys
 
Zach4739's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-11
Location: Livonia
Posts: 743
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxworthy1102 View Post
grind down the welds and fill in again. To many imperfections/ slag pockets for structural support. Also it looks like you heat is a little hot and you're traveling too fast
its a cheap stick welder that i taught myself on... i dont really care how it looks it holds. thanks for the tips though ill work on it. just learning didnt think id get bashed from dickheads that weld better than me... then again sure is a lot of that on this site
Zach4739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:56 PM   #7
foxworthy1102
Senior Member
 
foxworthy1102's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-12
Location: wyandotte, mi
Posts: 274
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

not trying to bash. Just give some helpful hints. What rod did you use?
foxworthy1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #8
Wramblerguy
Senior Member
 
Wramblerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-02-11
Location: Schoolcraft 49087
Posts: 2,964
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach4739 View Post
its a cheap stick welder that i taught myself on... i dont really care how it looks it holds. thanks for the tips though ill work on it. just learning didnt think id get bashed from dickheads that weld better than me... then again sure is a lot of that on this site
exactly, thats the first thing you should of expected
__________________
3rd generation jeeper

99 gmc Sierra extended cab z71 dd
87 yj Laredo 4.2/999/231 ac & cruise bone stock (for now)
90s Wrambler efi 2.5, t5, sye231 ,d44s with 4.88s and detroits
Wramblerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:03 PM   #9
Doc
Senior Member
 
Doc's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-09-11
Location: Burton, Mi
Posts: 298
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Oh my.
Doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:04 PM   #10
Zach4739
2005 Willys
 
Zach4739's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-11
Location: Livonia
Posts: 743
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxworthy1102 View Post
not trying to bash. Just give some helpful hints. What rod did you use?
i forget.. but i have two one is thicker than the other so use the skinny ones because i run the welder off a generator and thats the only rod that dosnt just stick when i try and make the ark
Zach4739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:06 PM   #11
robbietap
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 12-06-07
Location: evart/michigan
Posts: 247
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Keep your head up. Those who weld well have put in a lot of time... Try to get what you can from anyone that will give advice, education cost $. Wether it's your material, self teaching, vocation, or a mentor. Just take what you can, people will pick apart welds faster than a scab on their ass.
robbietap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2013, 10:15 PM   #12
Zach4739
2005 Willys
 
Zach4739's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-11
Location: Livonia
Posts: 743
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbietap View Post
Keep your head up. Those who weld well have put in a lot of time... Try to get what you can from anyone that will give advice, education cost $. Wether it's your material, self teaching, vocation, or a mentor. Just take what you can, people will pick apart welds faster than a scab on their ass.
its no biggie i see the same unhappy fuckers tearin people apart on this site all the time. they think they are better than everyone else so they talk the talk on a computer. i just make stuff for my jeep for fun now i know not to put it on this site unless im a pro with a million dollar welder.
Zach4739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #13
foxworthy1102
Senior Member
 
foxworthy1102's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-12
Location: wyandotte, mi
Posts: 274
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

since your starting off try using 6010 rod. its a fast freeze rod with deep penetration. you'll be able to learn your angels and speed. from there go to 7018(my favorite) and kust focus on your puddle. you'll get better give it time
foxworthy1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 09:36 AM   #14
High Center Hancho
rack tap re-rack click
 
High Center Hancho's Avatar
 
Join Date: 07-10-07
Location: Genesee County
Posts: 12,913
iTrader: (40)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach4739 View Post
i dont really care how it looks it holds
I wouldnt be so sure about the holding part
High Center Hancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #15
Wramblerguy
Senior Member
 
Wramblerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-02-11
Location: Schoolcraft 49087
Posts: 2,964
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxworthy1102 View Post
since your starting off try using 6010 rod. its a fast freeze rod with deep penetration. you'll be able to learn your angels and speed. from there go to 7018(my favorite) and kust focus on your puddle. you'll get better give it time
6013 is easier to learn on so he can figure out how fast he needs to feed the rod and move it along the weld
6010 is not easy to start with
__________________
3rd generation jeeper

99 gmc Sierra extended cab z71 dd
87 yj Laredo 4.2/999/231 ac & cruise bone stock (for now)
90s Wrambler efi 2.5, t5, sye231 ,d44s with 4.88s and detroits
Wramblerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #16
foxworthy1102
Senior Member
 
foxworthy1102's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-18-12
Location: wyandotte, mi
Posts: 274
iTrader: (6)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wramblerguy View Post
6013 is easier to learn on so he can figure out how fast he needs to feed the rod and move it along the weld
6010 is not easy to start with
how do you figure? 6013 is the same as 6010 with less penetration. Now that plate for his diff skid I'm guessing is 1/4"-3/8" thick you want good deep penetration right?
foxworthy1102 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 12:33 PM   #17
Wramblerguy
Senior Member
 
Wramblerguy's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-02-11
Location: Schoolcraft 49087
Posts: 2,964
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxworthy1102 View Post
how do you figure? 6013 is the same as 6010 with less penetration. Now that plate for his diff skid I'm guessing is 1/4"-3/8" thick you want good deep penetration right?
im talking about learning not penetration 6013 doesnt rawuire the whip and pause motion like the 6010
__________________
3rd generation jeeper

99 gmc Sierra extended cab z71 dd
87 yj Laredo 4.2/999/231 ac & cruise bone stock (for now)
90s Wrambler efi 2.5, t5, sye231 ,d44s with 4.88s and detroits

Last edited by Wramblerguy; April 20th, 2013 at 12:36 PM.
Wramblerguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 01:29 PM   #18
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,402
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zach4739 View Post
its no biggie i see the same unhappy fuckers tearin people apart on this site all the time. they think they are better than everyone else so they talk the talk on a computer. i just make stuff for my jeep for fun now i know not to put it on this site unless im a pro with a million dollar welder.
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Center Hancho View Post
I wouldnt be so sure about the holding part
Right on schedule.

Anyways keep up the hard work, im learning to weld myself and its not easy but I want to learn and keep trying so I will get the hang of it some day. Your ahead of me, at least you already own a welder, Ive been using a buddys while he's trying to teach me.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:15 PM   #19
99tj4banger
Senior Member
 
99tj4banger's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-02-10
Location: brownstown, MI
Posts: 400
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Not the best out there but damn lucky I took welding for two years in high school. Probably the best thing I learned in HS.
99tj4banger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 20th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Zach4739
2005 Willys
 
Zach4739's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-14-11
Location: Livonia
Posts: 743
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99tj4banger View Post
Not the best out there but damn lucky I took welding for two years in high school. Probably the best thing I learned in HS.
i have some college classes ill be take next semester so hopefully i can learn with a different kind of welders
Zach4739 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Fabrication and body armor

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:24 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.24787 seconds with 82 queries