Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old April 10th, 2013, 05:16 AM   #1
3stratman
Let's Go Red Wings!
 
3stratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-27-08
Location: Michigan
Posts: 706
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default UPDATE: Use Anti-Anxiety Meds, Lose Pistol Permit, now guns as well

And so it begins. PERFECT EXAMPLE of why registration is a bad thing. Once they get started, they will find ANY reason to do it to YOU (their true ultimate goal).

http://www.wben.com/Attorney--Use-An...Permi/16002790


Buffalo, NY (WBEN) If you use anti-anxiety medication, should you forfeit your pistol permit? One attorney says that's exactly what's happened in two cases here.

"We are representing a client right now who is impacted by this onerous activity of the government," says Jim Tresmond of the Tresmond Law Firm. He's unaware of how many else may be affected because the matter is so new, with operatives across the country monitoring the state.

Tresmond is representing two clients now, but anticipates more down the road. "We were flummoxed by this whole matter," explains Tresmond. "The HIPPA act is supposed to prevent this kind of thing from happening. It's a gross invasion of our privacy rights." Who's responsible for this? "The State Police. Based on information the county received from the New York State Police, they've suspended the permits. The State Police instigates the proceedings."
Tresmond says the State Police commissioner is named in the two lawsuits.

Last edited by 3stratman; April 10th, 2013 at 07:53 PM.
3stratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #2
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,026
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Awesome! I'm glad they are going in this direction. If you aren't right in he head you shouldn't have guns.
__________________
I hate being bipolar, its great!

jeep turned buggy now back to jeep
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=175584
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #3
SS
Such Majestic. Wow.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 11,504
iTrader: (13)
Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
Awesome! I'm glad they are going in this direction. If you aren't right in he head you shouldn't have guns.
...So you agree with the state of New York using your medical records (which they shouldn't have access to and is in fact against federal law) to find an excuse to remove your 2nd Amendment rights and force you to turn in all of your firearms, ammo and accessories?

These aren't people who have been declared incompetent or a threat to themselves and others. They are scouring health records in an attempt to disarm as many people as possible. Under this criteria almost every single Veteran will have their weapons confiscated.
__________________
-Jeremy

AMERICA!!!!!!!!!!!!!
SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #4
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,026
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS View Post
...So you agree with the state of New York using your medical records (which they shouldn't have access to and is in fact against federal law) to find an excuse to remove your 2nd Amendment rights and force you to turn in all of your firearms, ammo and accessories?

These aren't people who have been declared incompetent or a threat to themselves and others. They are scouring health records in an attempt to disarm as many people as possible. Under this criteria almost every single Veteran will have their weapons confiscated.
I can't read into it a lot right now because my Internet is slow as shit but I agree with the concept. I think the country needs to be more strict on people that are nuts anyways. Instead of locking crazies up we just medicate the shit out of them and call them fixed. Who do you think commits all the senseless mass murders?
__________________
I hate being bipolar, its great!

jeep turned buggy now back to jeep
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=175584
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 08:56 AM   #5
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,310
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Everyone should have guns. Period.

Fastest shot wins.

BTW I do not own a gun other than one that launches potatos, yet.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:05 AM   #6
tgmaul
Senior Member
 
tgmaul's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-05-12
Location: midland
Posts: 389
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

two guns pointed at each other sitting on the ground no one around, how long will it take the one gun to shoot the other gun? never We all know this, guns do not kill people, PEOPLE kill PEOPLE and they have been doing it for years, so whats the big deal. Lets put all this money about guns laws into Gun Education. Lets educate kids and parents to put gun locks on weapons and how to use and store them correctly. Education in safety is key
tgmaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:18 AM   #7
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,310
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgmaul View Post
two guns pointed at each other sitting on the ground no one around, how long will it take the one gun to shoot the other gun? never We all know this, guns do not kill people, PEOPLE kill PEOPLE and they have been doing it for years, so whats the big deal. Lets put all this money about guns laws into Gun Education. Lets educate kids and parents to put gun locks on weapons and how to use and store them correctly. Education in safety is key
But how do they gain more control over the people doing this?
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #8
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,955
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
I can't read into it a lot right now because my Internet is slow as shit but I agree with the concept. I think the country needs to be more strict on people that are nuts anyways. Instead of locking crazies up we just medicate the shit out of them and call them fixed. Who do you think commits all the senseless mass murders?
These people aren't nuts......we're not talking about multiple personality disorder here.

Say you own guns, and have your whole family killed in a tragic car accident. You're going to have trouble coping aren't you? Maybe you see a Psychiatrist, and you're prescribed anti-anxiety medication. Now all of your guns are going to be confiscated by the government? Bullshit.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #9
Rob the plumber
Licensed master plumber
 
Rob the plumber's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-14-06
Location: New Baltimore, Michigan
Posts: 5,592
iTrader: (32)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Slippery slope.
Rob the plumber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:35 AM   #10
chadcooper55
expert jeep disassembler
 
chadcooper55's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-28-08
Location: kent city mi
Posts: 8,026
iTrader: (20)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
These people aren't nuts......we're not talking about multiple personality disorder here.

Say you own guns, and have your whole family killed in a tragic car accident. You're going to have trouble coping aren't you? Maybe you see a Psychiatrist, and you're prescribed anti-anxiety medication. Now all of your guns are going to be confiscated by the government? Bullshit.
I can't open the page to read the whole article because of my Internet. It may be too strict but I do like the idea of mental health issues determining if you can or can not own firearms.
__________________
I hate being bipolar, its great!

jeep turned buggy now back to jeep
http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=175584
chadcooper55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:38 AM   #11
JohnnyJ
Low Range Drifter
 
JohnnyJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-09-05
Location: Hartland, MI
Posts: 6,116
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Default

I'm torn over this.

Part of me feels that people rely too much on medication to get through bumps in the road. Bad shit happens all the time, it doesn't necessarily require a trip to the pharmacy to get through it.

That part of me is ok with over-medicated people losing their right to own a gun. If you can't cope, I'm not sure I want you in a position where you have to make the fight/flight decision.

Now for people that truly need medication to make them stable, I can't say that I'm against them not having access to guns. My thoughts go to the Auroura shooter who was losing it, and he still could get what he needed legally. This doesn't address Sandy Hook at all.

But it falls apart because I don't trust the government to extend it's reach, and I don't trust that they will do this in a sane manner.
__________________
Neither Skinny Nor Pretty DEAK Racing 4517 Ultra 4 Mod Class Rig
Surviving Project Car Hell - We have all been there
JohnnyJ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #12
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,310
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
I'm torn over this.

Part of me feels that people rely too much on medication to get through bumps in the road. Bad shit happens all the time, it doesn't necessarily require a trip to the pharmacy to get through it.

That part of me is ok with over-medicated people losing their right to own a gun. If you can't cope, I'm not sure I want you in a position where you have to make the fight/flight decision.

Now for people that truly need medication to make them stable, I can't say that I'm against them not having access to guns. My thoughts go to the Auroura shooter who was losing it, and he still could get what he needed legally. This doesn't address Sandy Hook at all.

But it falls apart because I don't trust the government to extend it's reach, and I don't trust that they will do this in a sane manner.

x2

Its up to the Dr's to determine if you need meds, but some have their own agenda.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #13
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,768
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
These people aren't nuts......we're not talking about multiple personality disorder here.

Say you own guns, and have your whole family killed in a tragic car accident. You're going to have trouble coping aren't you? Maybe you see a Psychiatrist, and you're prescribed anti-anxiety medication. Now all of your guns are going to be confiscated by the government? Bullshit.
why do you need anti anxiety medication to cope with life?

It's LIFE.

People die, people lose jobs, people lose pets, people have things happen that makes them sad. If you can not cope with these things with out pills, you, in my opinion, are not stable enough to own a gun anyway.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with the use of medical records illegally via the government to do so, as hippa and other laws are there to protect your privacy as it regards to your medical history. BUT, If you can't cope with out pills, I don't want you having access to a gun.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:11 AM   #14
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,768
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyJ View Post
I'm torn over this.

Part of me feels that people rely too much on medication to get through bumps in the road. Bad shit happens all the time, it doesn't necessarily require a trip to the pharmacy to get through it.

That part of me is ok with over-medicated people losing their right to own a gun. If you can't cope, I'm not sure I want you in a position where you have to make the fight/flight decision.

Now for people that truly need medication to make them stable, I can't say that I'm against them not having access to guns. My thoughts go to the Auroura shooter who was losing it, and he still could get what he needed legally. This doesn't address Sandy Hook at all.

But it falls apart because I don't trust the government to extend it's reach, and I don't trust that they will do this in a sane manner.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:45 AM   #15
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,955
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
why do you need anti anxiety medication to cope with life?

It's LIFE.

People die, people lose jobs, people lose pets, people have things happen that makes them sad. If you can not cope with these things with out pills, you, in my opinion, are not stable enough to own a gun anyway.

Now, I don't necessarily agree with the use of medical records illegally via the government to do so, as hippa and other laws are there to protect your privacy as it regards to your medical history. BUT, If you can't cope with out pills, I don't want you having access to a gun.
Maybe it was a bad example. There are plenty of cases where people are prescribed these types of medications that do not have a mental illness.

Case and point, my brother-in-law has high blood pressure. He has had high blood pressure since he was younger, and he's always been in good shape. Because of his high blood pressure, whenever his cardiac system is stressed (something other than physical exercise) he can have a panic/anxiety attack or whatever you want to call it. So an adrenaline rush from almost getting run off the road, or something of that nature can send him into one of these attacks. No mental issues whatsoever, but the way to treat his condition is with anti-anxiety meds. He owns guns, and I would personally see no problem in him owning them even though he is on a "mental" type of drug.

Someone could be unable to cope with tragic events, and go take their car and run through a crowd of people. No one seems to care about that aspect though. For a website that has a lot of individuals screaming for more personal responsibility, a lot of people also seem to want to limit everyone else's responsibilities because they personally don't think others are capable.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 10:58 AM   #16
montecarlo33
The Violator
 
montecarlo33's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-23-07
Location: Otsego County 49735
Posts: 4,329
iTrader: (18)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Bottom line I feel is our fore fathers fought for our right to bear arms and these days the gov is just looking for a way to strip these and other rights from us for bullshit reasons. Now with that said I also agree that some people out there are not mentally stable, but then again they are also on more meds then just anti anxiety pills. My 80 year old grandpa takes anti anxiety pills and that does not make him less mentally stable or less worthy to own a gun in my eyes. Hes sharp as tack, just when he gets excited(even company coming over) he has a hard time breathing with his COPD, so docs gave him something to take, so there are cases out there where people need those pills. What about all the people who take prescription pain killers or sleeping pills every night? Your telling me that wont alter someone's judgement? Where does the line stop? So far its pretty clear the government doesn't want people who smoke marijuana(medical card) or take anti anxiety meds to have anything to do with owning a gun or protecting themselves and I doubt they will stop there, other prescription pills will be next..

Last edited by montecarlo33; April 10th, 2013 at 11:02 AM.
montecarlo33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:36 AM   #17
kickstand
sHaMoNe!
 
kickstand's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-20-06
Location: fenton
Posts: 30,768
iTrader: (46)
Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
Maybe it was a bad example. There are plenty of cases where people are prescribed these types of medications that do not have a mental illness.

Case and point, my brother-in-law has high blood pressure. He has had high blood pressure since he was younger, and he's always been in good shape. Because of his high blood pressure, whenever his cardiac system is stressed (something other than physical exercise) he can have a panic/anxiety attack or whatever you want to call it. So an adrenaline rush from almost getting run off the road, or something of that nature can send him into one of these attacks. No mental issues whatsoever, but the way to treat his condition is with anti-anxiety meds. He owns guns, and I would personally see no problem in him owning them even though he is on a "mental" type of drug.

Someone could be unable to cope with tragic events, and go take their car and run through a crowd of people. No one seems to care about that aspect though. For a website that has a lot of individuals screaming for more personal responsibility, a lot of people also seem to want to limit everyone else's responsibilities because they personally don't think others are capable.
I worry just as much about someone being behind the wheel drunk, on meds, unstable, etc. Assuming that people don't is poor judgement on your part.

Junior Seau is a great example.....he killed himself, drove his truck off a cliff, tried to suicide in a number of ways.

It's not the TOOL, its the OPERATOR.

If your brother has an anxiety attack because someone cuts him off on the freeway he probably shouldn't be driving (in my opinion). Think of the worry wort kind of women who freak out when the car ten people ahead of them puts on their turn signal...those people shouldn't drive either.....

I am all for personal responsibility, when you can handle it.
kickstand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 11:51 AM   #18
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,955
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kickstand View Post
I worry just as much about someone being behind the wheel drunk, on meds, unstable, etc. Assuming that people don't is poor judgement on your part.

Junior Seau is a great example.....he killed himself, drove his truck off a cliff, tried to suicide in a number of ways.

It's not the TOOL, its the OPERATOR.

If your brother has an anxiety attack because someone cuts him off on the freeway he probably shouldn't be driving (in my opinion). Think of the worry wort kind of women who freak out when the car ten people ahead of them puts on their turn signal...those people shouldn't drive either.....

I am all for personal responsibility, when you can handle it.
Agreed.

There are a lot of people that shouldn't be driving, period. It's just the slippery slope of government control scares me. I don't really want the government determining my level of personal responsibility of what I can and can't do. If we nitpicked every little thing as a reason for someone not being allowed to do something, eventually that list could easily include things that would affect us all.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:28 PM   #19
disorder xj
Happy,happy,joy,joy
 
disorder xj's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-13-06
Location: Mio MI.
Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
Awesome! I'm glad they are going in this direction. If you aren't right in he head you shouldn't have guns.
x 10000000000000000000000
disorder xj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2013, 12:31 PM   #20
brewmenn
Grumpy old man.
 
brewmenn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Inkster, MI
Posts: 10,398
iTrader: (9)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by chadcooper55 View Post
I can't open the page to read the whole article because of my Internet. It may be too strict but I do like the idea of mental health issues determining if you can or can not own firearms.
What is quoted in the first post is the entire article. Not enough information to say whether I agree or not in this situation.
brewmenn is online now   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:45 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.27358 seconds with 53 queries