Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:01 PM   #1
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,256
iTrader: (7)
Adding another set of Brakes

Ok, I already have a Tandem Axle Trailer, only one of the axles has brakes. Not too bad but since I'm towing with the WJ I really would like to improve my Braking.
Is it as easy as buying a pair of Brake Backing plates w/ solenoids and drums and bolting them on, and wiring them in with the other or is there more to it???

I haven't looked as the axles yet because it's damn cold out and the snow is over the tires.
Sandals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:16 PM   #2
Monkeyevil
I <3 Miatas
 
Monkeyevil's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Kalamazoo, MI
Posts: 8,982
iTrader: (16)
Send a message via AIM to Monkeyevil
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals View Post
Is it as easy as buying a pair of Brake Backing plates w/ solenoids and drums and bolting them on, and wiring them in with the other or is there more to it???
As long as they aren't funky axles... Yes... it is that easy. You may want to run new wires from the plug though, they probably are barely big enough for 1 set of brakes.
__________________
JcrOffroad
Zoom Zoom!
Monkeyevil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 06:21 PM   #3
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,256
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeyevil View Post
As long as they aren't funky axles... Yes... it is that easy. You may want to run new wires from the plug though, they probably are barely big enough for 1 set of brakes.


They Shouldn't be funky, Trailers only a little over a year old, and is a nice build.
Was planning on running new wires..... just going to suck in the cold.

Now to find a place around here that sells the parts
Sandals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 09:16 PM   #4
Mclovin
"The Situation"
 
Mclovin's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, Mi
Posts: 14,390
iTrader: (15)
Send a message via AIM to Mclovin Send a message via Yahoo to Mclovin
Yep with most trailers the axles already have the 4 bolt plate, just bolt on backing plates and get some drums.. then tap into your existing wires.. or run new ones like you are..
As for the parts.. TSC stocks most everything you need but is more expensive then if you were to look around online.. or if you have a RV/trailer shop around you they'll have it..
Mclovin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 5th, 2006, 10:03 PM   #5
Sandals
Fucking Zen as Shit
 
Sandals's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Lindenhurst, IL
Posts: 15,256
iTrader: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muddinguy View Post
Yep with most trailers the axles already have the 4 bolt plate, just bolt on backing plates and get some drums.. then tap into your existing wires.. or run new ones like you are..
As for the parts.. TSC stocks most everything you need but is more expensive then if you were to look around online.. or if you have a RV/trailer shop around you they'll have it..
yeah i'm trying to find a good local trailer type shop. Even the Nearest TSC is an hour drive each way away. But I may have located a trailer shop, we'll see tomorrow
Sandals is online now   Reply With Quote
Old December 6th, 2006, 01:04 PM   #6
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,941
iTrader: (8)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
http://www.take3trailers.com/eshop/default.asp

These are the guys that built my 2-car GN. I've never ordered from them on-line and don't know if their prices are reasonable or not. But, they make kickass trailers.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > 4x4 Talk > Tow rigs and trailers
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:17 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.09149 seconds with 24 queries