Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:08 PM   #41
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 20,701
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Default

Yup, my bad. I should have gone back and reread it.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:09 PM   #42
1 ton tj on 40's
Senior Member
 
1 ton tj on 40's's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-12
Location: not sure
Posts: 4,039
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Yup, my bad. I should have gone back and reread it.
dont matter you still made a good point
1 ton tj on 40's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #43
Elvis13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Addison Township, MI
Posts: 1,172
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

I always feared this in college. Especially after our neighbors got broke into and someone got stabbed next door. My roommates would always shout something if they heard a noise, no response meant something was wrong.

The kid was killed, that means he was close enough to be killed, close enough to be killed is too close, too close means you gotta go, and he went.
Elvis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 08:44 PM   #44
GREASYHANDS
wabbit season
 
GREASYHANDS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-16-09
Location: Ravenna
Posts: 12,483
iTrader: (28)
Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Default

Another one bites the dust. Don't you all realize its just natural selection, the weak die first.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieMT View Post
sorry I don't work on fords I park on top of them!
Bare Bones Offroad
RIP FS4L
Pavement sucks
Meow
GREASYHANDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:21 PM   #45
mtnbikinbryno
Senior Member
 
mtnbikinbryno's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-08-05
Location: TC
Posts: 5,220
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mtnbikinbryno
Default

How many people commenting on this thread have a tacticool HD gun with a light on it? What is the point of the light on the gun if you are going to shoot at a shadow without IDing the target?

I have never been in the situation and hope never to be. If I am, I would hope that my eye is on the target, finger on the trigger, when I can light him up. If there is a split second when I can see a weapon or otherwise feel threatened then bang. If not, maybe a kid like this who made a mistake can stick around for a while.

That said, I don't question the homeowners action.
mtnbikinbryno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 09:44 PM   #46
Mudking
Senior Member
 
Mudking's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-15-13
Location: Chelsea/MI
Posts: 724
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My gun has a laser. No light. My dogs would have whoever enters half torn up whether good or bad. So I may have allot better chance to Id someone. My hopes is that the dogs will make them give up (we have 4) and all sleep inside.

But. This situation. No dogs. I dunno. Guessing he is a young drunk he was probably making a ton of noise and knowing where he was may have been simple. Maybe not.

I don't know. But I am with the if you break into my house at 2am you are probably getting shot without much warning.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mudking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 10:54 PM   #47
Elvis13
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 05-15-11
Location: Addison Township, MI
Posts: 1,172
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikinbryno View Post
What is the point of the light on the gun if you are going to shoot at a shadow without IDing the target?
He could see the kid well enough to kill him with the firearm, that's justifiable identification. I would agree with you if the guy shot 7 times and the kid ended up in the hospital from wounds to his arms and legs.
Elvis13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:02 PM   #48
MonkeyBiz
Master Cocksman
 
MonkeyBiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Whitehall
Posts: 8,253
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBiz
Default

I think I've posted this story here before, but it fits in this thread...

I am a very heavy sleeper, but I have taught myself to listen while I sleep. If a door opens, my (fire)pager trips ect I snap awake. Laying in bed one saturday morning, I snapped awake because I heard our front door open and close. When I jumped, my wife woke up. I told her to call 911, that somebody was in the house, and grabbed my gun. She kept saying that nobody was there. I was convinced other wise, I started to advance down my hallway, right before I got to the living room, I heard my phone ring. My wife answered it, and yelled for me to stop, our friends had let themselves in and were in the living room. Then I called, out their names and they responded. Not sure if that story would have had a different ending or not. They said they called on the phone, 1. To distract me, and 2, they didn't want to make a loud noise for fear I would come around the corner blazing.
MonkeyBiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:11 PM   #49
Bones
skillicous
 
Bones's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Dearborn Heights, MI
Posts: 11,411
iTrader: (37)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to Bones
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Red View Post
Bones, ^^^ these are the actions I would have followed. The use of deadly force would have been justifiable to me because the guy would not stop trying to enter the house.
I am not going to get into a fistfight in my house at 2am. For one I am dead blind without my glasses on, so I can't see ehit in the dark. As I said before, I'm not going to wait for the intruder to give me an explanation or frisk him to see if he has a gun. If he is lucky, he'll hear the shotgun rack and GTFO. If I have the pistol, sorry for your luck, you're not getting a warning noise. I'm not a big guy, so there is no way I am going to pretend I am going to defend my life and my wife's life with my fists.

And I lived in Flint for 4 years, and that ate up pretty much my entire life supply of tolernace for assholes.

All my friends and family know not to barge in the house without telling me or my wife. She is a better aim than I am anyways!

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikinbryno View Post
How many people commenting on this thread have a tacticool HD gun with a light on it? What is the point of the light on the gun if you are going to shoot at a shadow without IDing the target?
My shotgun and bedside pistol both have a light on them. IMO, the light is the first line of defense. It will absolutely blind anyone looking at it in the dark.
__________________
Inviscid Motorsports

Special Thanks and Recommendations to;
Motorcity Machines
Ironman Offroad
Branik Motorsports
Maxxis Tires

Raceline Wheels
PAC Racing Springs
Joint Clutch and Gear

Last edited by Bones; March 19th, 2013 at 11:15 PM.
Bones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:14 PM   #50
booblinker
Trailer Trash
 
booblinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-29-06
Location: Leonard, mi
Posts: 9,727
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to booblinker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz View Post
I think I've posted this story here before, but it fits in this thread...

I am a very heavy sleeper, but I have taught myself to listen while I sleep. If a door opens, my (fire)pager trips ect I snap awake. Laying in bed one saturday morning, I snapped awake because I heard our front door open and close. When I jumped, my wife woke up. I told her to call 911, that somebody was in the house, and grabbed my gun. She kept saying that nobody was there. I was convinced other wise, I started to advance down my hallway, right before I got to the living room, I heard my phone ring. My wife answered it, and yelled for me to stop, our friends had let themselves in and were in the living room. Then I called, out their names and they responded. Not sure if that story would have had a different ending or not. They said they called on the phone, 1. To distract me, and 2, they didn't want to make a loud noise for fear I would come around the corner blazing.
Couple questions. Why was you door Unlocked, and Why the fukc would someone think it was OK to let themselves in at 2 am?
__________________
-2001 Tahoe original 5.3 4x4 only 430k
-Down to 3 three wheelers
-1985 V65 Magna
-1983 Nighthawk 650
-1978 F100
booblinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #51
MonkeyBiz
Master Cocksman
 
MonkeyBiz's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: Whitehall
Posts: 8,253
iTrader: (10)
Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to MonkeyBiz
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by booblinker View Post
Couple questions. Why was you door Unlocked, and Why the fukc would someone think it was OK to let themselves in at 2 am?
I rarely lock my doors I would lock myself out every time I came home from a fire call. It wasn't 2am.. It was like 730ish am. They wanted to see if we wanted to go to breakfast.
MonkeyBiz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #52
booblinker
Trailer Trash
 
booblinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-29-06
Location: Leonard, mi
Posts: 9,727
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to booblinker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
If he is lucky, he'll hear the shotgun rack and GTFO.
I used to like this Idea, but have been told it isn't a good Idea, if the person is armed they may shoot towards the noise.
__________________
-2001 Tahoe original 5.3 4x4 only 430k
-Down to 3 three wheelers
-1985 V65 Magna
-1983 Nighthawk 650
-1978 F100
booblinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:17 PM   #53
booblinker
Trailer Trash
 
booblinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-29-06
Location: Leonard, mi
Posts: 9,727
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to booblinker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonkeyBiz View Post
I rarely lock my doors. It wasn't 2am.. It was like 730ish am. They wanted to see if we wanted to go to breakfast.
haha dunno where the fukc I got 2am
__________________
-2001 Tahoe original 5.3 4x4 only 430k
-Down to 3 three wheelers
-1985 V65 Magna
-1983 Nighthawk 650
-1978 F100
booblinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:44 PM   #54
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,773
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

What pisses me off about the article, is that is says the kid was "mistaken for an intruder"

He WAS an intruder.

Homeowners alarm goes off, see's someone entering his home that he doesn't recognize, and he shoots them to protect himself, and his family. It doesn't matter that the intruder was a 16 year old, or if it was a 30 year old. The fact is, he broke the law, and put someone in fear for their life, and they acted. It's a sorry situation for all involved, but I believe the homeowner acted properly.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 11:50 PM   #55
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,773
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnbikinbryno View Post
How many people commenting on this thread have a tacticool HD gun with a light on it? What is the point of the light on the gun if you are going to shoot at a shadow without IDing the target?

I have never been in the situation and hope never to be. If I am, I would hope that my eye is on the target, finger on the trigger, when I can light him up. If there is a split second when I can see a weapon or otherwise feel threatened then bang. If not, maybe a kid like this who made a mistake can stick around for a while.

That said, I don't question the homeowners action.
I have a light on my pistol, and my rifle. I also live in a townhome that looks like every other townhome on the street. There are, apparently a lot of teenagers in my neighborhood, because I see them at the bus stop on my way to work, but other than that, I NEVER see them.

The thought that I could shine a light, and identify a teenager from the neighborhood, who I've only ever seen from driving past the bus stop is a stretch. And even if I did identify them, they had better prove that they are not a threat real quickly.

I'm too old, weak, and fat to think that I can wrestle someone to the ground in my own home, half asleep, in my underwear. Thankfully the law here in NC allows me to stop a situation before it gets to that.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 12:00 AM   #56
FlatFender
Tap Tap Splat
 
FlatFender's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Raleigh NC
Posts: 15,773
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Red View Post
I never said he shouldn't be held responsible for his actions. Ever tried to unlock the wrong car at the store, pulled into your neighbor's driveway by mistake? By the facts reported I see no treat justifying deadly force. Kick his ass, hold him till the cops show up, press charges for breaking and entering. There very well maybe facts that justify force like that i.e. he tried to fight the owner, started throwing things, grabbed something to throw. Who knows besides the owner at this point what happened inside the house. As it stands now I say deadly force was not needed.
The mere fact that he forcefully entered someone else's home justifies deadly force.

How do you know the homeowner was able bodied enough to fight the kid? At 16, I was 6' tall, 230lbs, lean, aggressive, and stronger than I am now. No way getting into a physical altercation is safe or advisable.
FlatFender is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 06:44 AM   #57
Coyote Red
Senior Member
 
Coyote Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-24-11
Location: Chelsea, MI
Posts: 1,020
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by firehawk View Post
Only because you know the outcome. Had he been a robber do you ask him to stop and then interview him as to why he is there?

Who knows if he posed a threat while inside, but he was where he was not supposed to be at night time breaking into someones home. Maybe he was actually going to rob or kill them, kinda hard to read dead guys mind.
That is my point. None of us know if he was or wasn't a threat. If you feel threatened by a situation use enough force to stop the treat. If that includes deadly force so be it. I can only base my opinion off the facts posted and how I would handle the situation knowing the facts provided.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
I am not going to get into a fistfight in my house at 2am. For one I am dead blind without my glasses on, so I can't see ehit in the dark. As I said before, I'm not going to wait for the intruder to give me an explanation or frisk him to see if he has a gun. If he is lucky, he'll hear the shotgun rack and GTFO. If I have the pistol, sorry for your luck, you're not getting a warning noise. I'm not a big guy, so there is no way I am going to pretend I am going to defend my life and my wife's life with my fists.

And I lived in Flint for 4 years, and that ate up pretty much my entire life supply of tolernace for assholes.

All my friends and family know not to barge in the house without telling me or my wife. She is a better aim than I am anyways!



My shotgun and bedside pistol both have a light on them. IMO, the light is the first line of defense. It will absolutely blind anyone looking at it in the dark.
The difference between our opinions of the situation just became apparent. I am 6'2" and worked on a farm as a teen and hit and miss now as my help is needed. An unarmed drunk 16 year old is not a life threat to me. A armed or violent or aggressive drunk 16 year old may very well be a life threat to me. I am not saying you are wrong with you opinion by any means, you have the right to defend with deadly force and am glad to hear you are willing to do so. Flint has a way of ruining anyone's tolerance for dip shits and dead beats. I live in Flint six month out of the year for school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlatFender View Post
The mere fact that he forcefully entered someone else's home justifies deadly force.

How do you know the homeowner was able bodied enough to fight the kid? At 16, I was 6' tall, 230lbs, lean, aggressive, and stronger than I am now. No way getting into a physical altercation is safe or advisable.
How do you know the home owner wasn't a MMA fighter that could have hit him once stopped the treat? Was the kid built like you at 16 or was he 5'5" and 180 soaking wet? Many things are not know about this story. If things are cleared up by the video I can't view it at work. If you were as you describe yourself at 16, and were caught inside my house drunk at 2am you pose a life threat to me and I would follow the home owner's action.
Coyote Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 07:16 AM   #58
FORD FLARESIDE
Someday, yeah Someday
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,285
iTrader: (23)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I agree with Bones and Whiterhino, if someone breaks into my house I am assuming the worst.
This!!

My doors are locked at night for a reason. Not to mention, my dog would have had him by his private parts after two steps in the door.

For some reason, if that pooch smells alcohol she goes balistic.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #59
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,418
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Red View Post
That is my point. None of us know if he was or wasn't a threat. If you feel threatened by a situation use enough force to stop the treat. If that includes deadly force so be it. I can only base my opinion off the facts posted and how I would handle the situation knowing the facts provided.

The difference between our opinions of the situation just became apparent. I am 6'2" and worked on a farm as a teen and hit and miss now as my help is needed. An unarmed drunk 16 year old is not a life threat to me. A armed or violent or aggressive drunk 16 year old may very well be a life threat to me. I am not saying you are wrong with you opinion by any means, you have the right to defend with deadly force and am glad to hear you are willing to do so. Flint has a way of ruining anyone's tolerance for dip shits and dead beats. I live in Flint six month out of the year for school.

How do you know the home owner wasn't a MMA fighter that could have hit him once stopped the treat? Was the kid built like you at 16 or was he 5'5" and 180 soaking wet? Many things are not know about this story. If things are cleared up by the video I can't view it at work. If you were as you describe yourself at 16, and were caught inside my house drunk at 2am you pose a life threat to me and I would follow the home owner's action.
How do you know any of that at 2 am and someone is breaking in? Do you plan to interview the person. Let's sit down and have some coffee and examine your reasoning for breaking into my house and coming up the stairs towards where my family is sleeping? You assume that the person knows the kid. I don't know that I would recognize the family that lives two doors down from me. I work a lot and they aren't really outdoor people. In fact, if their dog broke in I would know the dog since it is always outside, but not the homeowner.
Like I said.. we can all speculate this and that but in that moment if you don't shoot and it isn't the neighbor kid you could be shot and be unable to defend your family. It would be pretty horrible to assume that everyone breaking in is really a nice confused kid and wind up getting your whole family killed. In fact, if you feel that way you shouldn't even need to own a gun since you care more about random intruders than your own family.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 20th, 2013, 08:38 AM   #60
T_J
Make it or Break it
 
T_J's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-01-12
Location: White Lake/ Mt Pleasant
Posts: 120
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

A friend of mine did something similar. He ate a lot of mushrooms and broke into a house by smashing a window with his fist. He thought it was his girlfriends house. While crawling through the broken window he deeply cut his wrist on the broken glass. He got inside and passed out on a bed after getting blood all over the room. Homeowners walk in the room and find him and call the cops. For some reason they did not press charges after hearing the story. He's damn lucky he broke into a house with understanding people.
T_J is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:03 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.30977 seconds with 52 queries