drunk teen sneaks into the wrong house - Page 2 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

The Pub A friendly forum where everybody is nice, and will answer any questions you have about life.

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier All Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 19th, 2013, 03:48 PM   #21
marshall
locally famous
 
marshall's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-12-11
Location: mayville MI
Posts: 2,980
iTrader: (4)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

My buddy did this last winter, after a wedding...and let himself into a cops house, lol
marshall is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 19th, 2013, 04:22 PM   #22
Timglide
It's Me
 
Timglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-30-09
Location: Oceana County
Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Or maybe the kid came in looking to meet the daughter who told him to come by. Dad never liked him anyway so it is ok?
Timglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:15 PM   #23
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,419
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

I agree with Bones and Whiterhino, if someone breaks into my house I am assuming the worst.
kerryann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #24
Timglide
It's Me
 
Timglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-30-09
Location: Oceana County
Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I agree with Bones and Whiterhino, if someone breaks into my house I am assuming the worst.
Good for you. We all need standards to live by.
Timglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:29 PM   #25
Coyote Red
Senior Member
 
Coyote Red's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-24-11
Location: Chelsea, MI
Posts: 1,022
iTrader: (7)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bones View Post
Are people no longer accountable for their actions? If someone is in your home at 2am, I am not going to stop and ask if they are lost and looking for directions. They are a threat.
I never said he shouldn't be held responsible for his actions. Ever tried to unlock the wrong car at the store, pulled into your neighbor's driveway by mistake? By the facts reported I see no treat justifying deadly force. Kick his ass, hold him till the cops show up, press charges for breaking and entering. There very well maybe facts that justify force like that i.e. he tried to fight the owner, started throwing things, grabbed something to throw. Who knows besides the owner at this point what happened inside the house. As it stands now I say deadly force was not needed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by booblinker View Post
Like I said, I am unsure of the laws in that state but Michigan the owner was justifiable.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GetItOffroadGMC View Post
Just had something like this happen to me not long ago. Actually Dec. 21st.

Had an 18 year old kid show up beating my door down, highly intoxicated. I opened the door, he pushed his way in. I shoved him out, he came in again. Threw him out, turned around and grabbed the shotgun. He came in again, so I shoved the barrel in his face, and he still proceeded to push his way in, so I checked him with the stock of the gun knocking him to the ground where I held him at fun point till the cops showed. He's lucky I have a bit of restraint, as it was close to him eating buckshot.

Even after the cops were there, he tried walking back into my house.
Bones, ^^^ these are the actions I would have followed. The use of deadly force would have been justifiable to me because the guy would not stop trying to enter the house.
Coyote Red is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:44 PM   #26
Timglide
It's Me
 
Timglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-30-09
Location: Oceana County
Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

This is a good thread. Many folks who cherish the 2nd ammenmant of our constitution are eager to defend their home with deadly force. It's nothing personal, just the principal that we can.

On the other hand a responsible gun owner can keep their wits and determine in a quick situation what truly is a deadly threat. Does burglary require a death sentence? What if it was your sisters kid looking for a place to crash when drunk, too embarassed to asked before hand? There are hundreds of scenarios that could be legitimately less than death situations. A double barrel in the face of a burglar trying to get in a window would certainly diffuse the burglary. What many don't consider is that the pulling of the trigger is easy and living with the results is tough stuff.

Would you honestly want to kill your neighbors son?
Timglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:47 PM   #27
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,357
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

The problem is that you are Monday morning quarterbacking this.

It reads such that the resident of that home felt his life was in danger, so he acted. It's a simple as that. If you catch an intruder coming up the stairs of your house at 2am, you've got some quick thinking to do.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 05:56 PM   #28
booblinker
Trailer Trash
 
booblinker's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-29-06
Location: Leonard, mi
Posts: 9,836
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to booblinker
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timglide View Post
This is a good thread. Many folks who cherish the 2nd ammenmant of our constitution are eager to defend their home with deadly force. It's nothing personal, just the principal that we can.

On the other hand a responsible gun owner can keep their wits and determine in a quick situation what truly is a deadly threat. Does burglary require a death sentence? What if it was your sisters kid looking for a place to crash when drunk, too embarassed to asked before hand? There are hundreds of scenarios that could be legitimately less than death situations. A double barrel in the face of a burglar trying to get in a window would certainly diffuse the burglary. What many don't consider is that the pulling of the trigger is easy and living with the results is tough stuff.

Would you honestly want to kill your neighbors son?
Whos to say he didn't have a gun, ready to shoot anything that moves as soon as the lights were turned on?
__________________
-2001 Tahoe original 5.3 4x4 only 435k
-Down to 2 three wheelers
-1985 V65 Magna
-1978 F100
-1973 CT70(soon to have a 125 motor)
booblinker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:03 PM   #29
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,419
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
The problem is that you are Monday morning quarterbacking this.

It reads such that the resident of that home felt his life was in danger, so he acted. It's a simple as that. If you catch an intruder coming up the stairs of your house at 2am, you've got some quick thinking to do.
This is what I am thinking. If you could see him and knew him you might have been like oh that's the kid from down he street, otherwise he is some person who broke into your house and is advancing onto your sleeping family. Tell me what scenario other than the one here has someone intrude into your house and come towards where the family is sleeping? If I am in that situation I am not assuming that the person coming up the stairs is a nice fellow and might just need some help finding his way home. If I see them and recognize them I might think hmmm.. otherwise I am not announcing myself and allowing them to shoot me first so I can't protect myself and family.
kerryann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:04 PM   #30
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,419
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

If that makes me a 2nd amendment hardass then... too bad.
kerryann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:16 PM   #31
Timglide
It's Me
 
Timglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-30-09
Location: Oceana County
Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Kerry, I agree with you. A person must have standards to live, or die by, without waiver. Maybe my communication is muttled. From my personal life experiences, I have to live by "my standards" which require of me a responsibility to be certain in such a situation. Evidently this person was not and ended a life when it was not necessary. I am not judging this person but am stating that we should not make a fatal decision just because we will not be held accountable by saying we felt threatened. Maybe this is muttled also. Anyway, it is a good thread that has spawned good dialogue.
Timglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:18 PM   #32
kareless
Dirty Little Girl!
 
kareless's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-24-07
Location: Harrison, Mi
Posts: 4,248
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
This is what I am thinking. If you could see him and knew him you might have been like oh that's the kid from down he street, otherwise he is some person who broke into your house and is advancing onto your sleeping family. Tell me what scenario other than the one here has someone intrude into your house and come towards where the family is sleeping? If I am in that situation I am not assuming that the person coming up the stairs is a nice fellow and might just need some help finding his way home. If I see them and recognize them I might think hmmm.. otherwise I am not announcing myself and allowing them to shoot me first so I can't protect myself and family.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
If that makes me a 2nd amendment hardass then... too bad.
x a milliion...
kareless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:33 PM   #33
jeepfreak81
81 inches of fun
 
jeepfreak81's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-10-05
Location: Lennon, Mi
Posts: 12,187
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to jeepfreak81 Send a message via MSN to jeepfreak81 Send a message via Yahoo to jeepfreak81
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timglide View Post
Kerry, I agree with you. A person must have standards to live, or die by, without waiver. Maybe my communication is muttled. From my personal life experiences, I have to live by "my standards" which require of me a responsibility to be certain in such a situation. Evidently this person was not and ended a life when it was not necessary. I am not judging this person but am stating that we should not make a fatal decision just because we will not be held accountable by saying we felt threatened. Maybe this is muttled also. Anyway, it is a good thread that has spawned good dialogue.
It's called survival of the fittest. The gene pool just got cleansed of one idiot.
jeepfreak81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:49 PM   #34
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,397
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coyote Red View Post
I never said he shouldn't be held responsible for his actions. Ever tried to unlock the wrong car at the store, pulled into your neighbor's driveway by mistake? By the facts reported I see no treat justifying deadly force. Kick his ass, hold him till the cops show up, press charges for breaking and entering. There very well maybe facts that justify force like that i.e. he tried to fight the owner, started throwing things, grabbed something to throw. Who knows besides the owner at this point what happened inside the house. As it stands now I say deadly force was not needed.

Like I said, I am unsure of the laws in that state but Michigan the owner was justifiable.

Bones, ^^^ these are the actions I would have followed. The use of deadly force would have been justifiable to me because the guy would not stop trying to enter the house.


Only because you know the outcome. Had he been a robber do you ask him to stop and then interview him as to why he is there?

Who knows if he posed a threat while inside, but he was where he was not supposed to be at night time breaking into someones home. Maybe he was actually going to rob or kill them, kinda hard to read dead guys mind.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:52 PM   #35
1 ton tj on 40's
Senior Member
 
1 ton tj on 40's's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-20-12
Location: not sure
Posts: 4,235
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

sry i think he did the right thing. i trust just a few people thats with family an they would never enter my home with out calling out loud frist knowing that i will shot an ask latter. most people that rob you know you an some way.



an if it ever happens to me i will just have to live with it knowing i save my wife an kids
1 ton tj on 40's is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 06:54 PM   #36
firehawk
Live Action!
 
firehawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: 10-02-07
Location: Clawson, Michigan
Posts: 12,397
iTrader: (44)
Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Timglide View Post
Kerry, I agree with you. A person must have standards to live, or die by, without waiver. Maybe my communication is muttled. From my personal life experiences, I have to live by "my standards" which require of me a responsibility to be certain in such a situation. Evidently this person was not and ended a life when it was not necessary. I am not judging this person but am stating that we should not make a fatal decision just because we will not be held accountable by saying we felt threatened. Maybe this is muttled also. Anyway, it is a good thread that has spawned good dialogue.
You do not know for sure he meant no harm. What if you find out tomorrow that his friends lied and the cops find a weapon. Would you change your thinking then? Only because you know the "facts" after the fact can you think the way you do.

Nothing wrong with having a different point of view, I just don't agree with yours unless the homeowner did something malicious or out of line with defending his home and family.
firehawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:01 PM   #37
Timglide
It's Me
 
Timglide's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-30-09
Location: Oceana County
Posts: 99
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Glad to see so many good points made concerning this issue. It seems kinda distant but could hit home very easily to any one of us and our families, in either way.
Timglide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #38
whiterhino
I'm not old, honest...
 
whiterhino's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-07-06
Location: Davisburg MI
Posts: 21,007
iTrader: (21)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Default

Sure it could hit home and I hope it never does. But, bottom line for me is that it is a justified shooting. A drunk breaks into a home in the middle of the night, I have no mercy for him as I consider that a threat to the shooter's wife.

Recap
Kid gets in trouble at school
Kid gets grounded
Kid sneaks out of parents home
Kid is underage but gets totally shit faced
Kid is so shit faced he not only can't get into a locked house, he breaks into it
Kid is no longer a problem child.
__________________
GLFWDA member since 1979.
Member Southern Michigan Rock Crawlers.
whiterhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:52 PM   #39
dragginwagon406
Adrenaline Junkie
 
dragginwagon406's Avatar
 
Join Date: 08-06-07
Location: Perrysburg, OH
Posts: 1,192
iTrader: (0)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiterhino View Post
Sure it could hit home and I hope it never does. But, bottom line for me is that it is a justified shooting. A drunk breaks into a home in the middle of the night, I have no mercy for him as I consider that a threat to the shooter's wife.

Recap
Kid gets in trouble at school
Kid gets grounded
Kid sneaks out of parents home
Kid is underage but gets totally shit faced
Kid is so shit faced he not only can't get into a locked house, he breaks into it
Kid is no longer a problem child.
Whole lot of truth in that statemment.
dragginwagon406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 19th, 2013, 07:59 PM   #40
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,357
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

According to the article, he got grounded for not cleaning his room. I'm not sure where you got the school problems, not that either would change anything.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > The Pub

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:55 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.25023 seconds with 81 queries