Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!







Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:43 PM   #1
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Washington, MI
Posts: 17,873
iTrader: (22)
Carl Levin is leaving!

http://www.mlive.com/politics/index....longest-s.html

Not seeking re-election in 2014.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
I am not a lesbian but if I was I would do her.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 06:56 PM   #2
SS
Whoa man!
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: Bimini, Bahamas
Posts: 10,358
iTrader: (13)
__________________
-Jeremy



Sticks and stones may break my bones but hollow points expand on impact.
SS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:09 PM   #3
Rebel2345
NOT GL4x4SucksVideo guy.
 
Rebel2345's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-07
Location: MI
Posts: 3,067
iTrader: (6)
There is a downside to this. There have been talks of him running for governor.
Rebel2345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #4
kerryann
German cars are hot
 
kerryann's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: West Bloomfield
Posts: 11,417
iTrader: (3)
Sandy needs to die....

Damn... I didn't read close enough... but Carl can die too.
kerryann is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 04:54 AM   #5
mojave01x2
Senior Member
 
mojave01x2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-08
Location: Hell Michigan
Posts: 1,017
iTrader: (1)
Not soon enough....
mojave01x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 05:42 AM   #6
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 15,239
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel2345 View Post
There is a downside to this. There have been talks of him running for governor.
aaaaaand
Moley may be in the running as his replacement.
__________________
Associate Membership Secretary/Membership Secretary
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Support The Sport!

We must all go through a rite of passage and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 05:46 AM   #7
luvitmyjeep
broken
 
luvitmyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Location: lakeorion mi
Posts: 5,088
iTrader: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusKegon_ZJ_gurl View Post
aaaaaand
Moley may be in the running as his replacement.
no mo mo le!
luvitmyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 05:49 AM   #8
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 15,239
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvitmyjeep View Post
no mo mo le!
I wouldn't vote her back into any office, but, there are plenty of idiots in this state who would.
__________________
Associate Membership Secretary/Membership Secretary
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Support The Sport!

We must all go through a rite of passage and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 05:52 AM   #9
luvitmyjeep
broken
 
luvitmyjeep's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-31-07
Location: lakeorion mi
Posts: 5,088
iTrader: (13)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusKegon_ZJ_gurl View Post
I wouldn't vote her back into any office, but, there are plenty of idiots in this state who would.
well.... i am blown away!
luvitmyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 05:53 AM   #10
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl
Senior Member
 
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl's Avatar
 
Join Date: 05-10-08
Location: 49442
Posts: 15,239
iTrader: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvitmyjeep View Post
well.... i am blown away!
__________________
Associate Membership Secretary/Membership Secretary
Great Lakes Four Wheel Drive Association
Support The Sport!

We must all go through a rite of passage and it must be physical, it must be painful, and it must leave a mark.
MusKegon_ZJ_gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:26 AM   #11
jimhri
Senior Member
 
jimhri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-07
Location: north of a bankrupt city
Posts: 3,040
iTrader: (3)
i recently sent the following back to Karl after getting one of his newsletters:

"Carl:
your recent newsletter indicated your participation in the following:
In recent weeks, Sen. Carl Levin has introduced legislation that would close unjustified tax loopholes that add to the deficit
i have to ask "how can you, with a straight face, call them ' unjustified tax loopholes ' "?
ANY "loophole" exits only because congress approved it in tax regulations and the president signed it into law.
if you and your congressional partners were honest and had some backbone you'd at least acknowledge that these tax breaks existed because of the action of an earlier congress and that you are now dealing with the situation.
as it is, you and your congressional partners use wording that makes is appear as if the beneficiaries of these tax laws are hoodwinking the government and getting away with something the average taxpayer cannot.
shame on you.
regardless of party affiliation, shame on all of you."
------------------
I am afraid that he and nost others of his ilk pray on the ignorance of the masses whom they have so earnestly dumbed down over the decades.
jimhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 06:31 AM   #12
jimhri
Senior Member
 
jimhri's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-17-07
Location: north of a bankrupt city
Posts: 3,040
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerryann View Post
Sandy needs to die....

Damn... I didn't read close enough... but Carl can die too.
what about john dingell and john conyers? both are old enough to be "the walking dead"
jimhri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 07:04 AM   #13
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 5,982
iTrader: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimhri View Post
i recently sent the following back to Karl after getting one of his newsletters:

"Carl:
your recent newsletter indicated your participation in the following:
In recent weeks, Sen. Carl Levin has introduced legislation that would close unjustified tax loopholes that add to the deficit
i have to ask "how can you, with a straight face, call them ' unjustified tax loopholes ' "?
ANY "loophole" exits only because congress approved it in tax regulations and the president signed it into law.
if you and your congressional partners were honest and had some backbone you'd at least acknowledge that these tax breaks existed because of the action of an earlier congress and that you are now dealing with the situation.
as it is, you and your congressional partners use wording that makes is appear as if the beneficiaries of these tax laws are hoodwinking the government and getting away with something the average taxpayer cannot.
shame on you.
regardless of party affiliation, shame on all of you."
------------------
I am afraid that he and nost others of his ilk pray on the ignorance of the masses whom they have so earnestly dumbed down over the decades.
^^^^^^This.
aber61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2013, 08:35 AM   #14
WSU JK
Senior Member
 
WSU JK's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-25-08
Location: Lowering the Per-Capita Income of Bloomfield Hills since 2009!
Posts: 2,481
iTrader: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel2345 View Post
There is a downside to this. There have been talks of him running for governor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MusKegon_ZJ_gurl View Post
aaaaaand
Moley may be in the running as his replacement.
No dice to either of those happening. While the Mole is still liked by some Dems, there are more than enough in her own party in this state (including this one) who were more than happy to see her high tail it out of Michigan after her time was done. I think she's pretty well done for elected office here.

As for Levin running for governor? I don't think that will happen either, although I'm sure he would put up a good fight. He would be 80 when he would take office if he were to win in 2014. I believe him when he says he wants to spend more time with his family. If he has any sort of career after politics (and besides possibly becoming a talking head on some network), I imagine he is more likely to become an adjunct professor of law or political science at WSU.

My money is on Gary Peters (current congressman from the 14th District) to run for Levin's seat and win in the Democratic primary next year.

It will be more interesting to see who the Republicans pick to run for the seat. The party does not have a history of picking good senate candidates in this state over the past few decades and even with a current upswing for the party in local and congressional races (not to mention having an R as the governor). Pete Hoekstra and Mike Cox are about the only ones with statewide name recognition so they are pretty good bets to enter the race, even though they don't have much electoral success.

Who knows, maybe Mitt's (ex) sister-in-law will run for the seat again like she did in 1996.
WSU JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:28 AM   #15
mudford
Senior Member
 
mudford's Avatar
 
Join Date: 06-01-09
Location: Midland, MI
Posts: 143
iTrader: (1)
I have heard rumors that Dave Camp (current republican congressman -4th district) might run.
mudford is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:40 AM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright 2005 - 2012 Cracker Enterprises - Powered by Linux
vB Ad Management by =RedTyger=
Page generated in 0.15320 seconds with 42 queries