What religion are you and why? - Page 3 - Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest

Go Back   Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat
GL4x4 Live! GL4x4 Casino

Politics, Government, or Religion Chat Bring your flamesuit!

greatlakes4x4.com is the premier Great Lakes 4x4 Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
Search
Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:04 AM   #41
SS
Doing stuff...and things.
 
SS's Avatar
 
Join Date: 12-12-05
Location: 48309
Posts: 12,091
iTrader: (14)
Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal View Post
I like what you said. I can understand those thoughts.
.........and.......finally.........I can use this one YOU!!
__________________
-Jer

Fallen GL4x4 Member's Family in Need!!

http://www.greatlakes4x4.com/showthread.php?t=301273

SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:05 AM   #42
Steve-in-Petoskey
Looking to ride
 
Steve-in-Petoskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-07
Location: Petoskey area
Posts: 1,720
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve-in-Petoskey
Default

presbyterian until 8
catholic since then, catholic school, catholic high school (*seminary)

Now believe in myself and have open eyes to my future and how to get there.
still believe in God just in case
Steve-in-Petoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #43
84Scrambler
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-07-05
Location: Lansing
Posts: 5,943
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to 84Scrambler
Default

We were planted by aliens. They will be back for the harvest.
84Scrambler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:48 AM   #44
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,811
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-in-Petoskey View Post
still believe in God just in case
What does this mean, "still believe in God just in case." It seems as you've taken Pascal's wager and just decided to believe in god...just in case. The "just in case" is what troubles me about your response. How do you believe in something, "just in case".

To me, you're presented with something, an argument, a statement, whatever, and you examine evidence, external, internal (anecdotal experience) and you then make a determination on whether you believe it's true/correct/whatever.

How do you believe something, just in case? Do you actually believe it or are you trying to feign belief to satisfy others around you or some higher power that supposedly should be able to see through your feigning?

It seems like maybe, you hope that God or a god exists that grants everlasting life, which, sure, I feel the same way. If I could go on living forever with my wife, family, and friends, sure that would kick ass, but, do I actively believe that is true based on the evidence presented to me? No.

Last edited by mikesova; March 5th, 2013 at 08:53 AM.
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:07 AM   #45
kkodet
Formerly Route55
 
kkodet's Avatar
 
Join Date: 01-21-07
Location: Marine City, Michigan
Posts: 4,175
iTrader: (47)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreezy View Post
Baconist. Because bacon Fucking rocks and should be consumed every Sunday.

Shazam Bitches
I'm converting :D
kkodet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:11 AM   #46
shawn
Resident HVAC/R Jambi
 
shawn's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Milford/Commerce
Posts: 10,110
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Send a message via Yahoo to shawn
Default

Christian, not claiming a denomination.
__________________
shawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:19 AM   #47
cj65
Senior Member
 
cj65's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-07-07
Location: 48174
Posts: 3,897
iTrader: (19)
Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Default

Atheist : was brought up baptist. But when I was old enough to decide for myself I left. IMO if their is some sort of "god" it is the cruelest meanest force on the planet. What type of god would let a man walk into a school and kill dozens of kids. Or take the only parent from a young child? Or cause major disasters that kill thousands of people? To that I say fukc your god.
cj65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #48
Ebs
Senior Member
 
Join Date: 11-06-05
Location: MI
Posts: 3,377
iTrader: (8)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj65 View Post
Atheist : was brought up baptist. But when I was old enough to decide for myself I left. IMO if their is some sort of "god" it is the cruelest meanest force on the planet. What type of god would let a man walk into a school and kill dozens of kids. Or take the only parent from a young child? Or cause major disasters that kill thousands of people? To that I say fukc your god.
The same god that would drown all his creations for a re-do.
Ebs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #49
aber61
Senior Member
 
aber61's Avatar
 
Join Date: 09-22-08
Location: Commerce Twp. Michigan
Posts: 6,127
iTrader: (3)
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ebs View Post
The same god that would drown all his creations for a re-do.
The same God that allowed His own Son to die for our sin. So as we can be with Him.
I don't think any of us could do that to our own child. Allow our only child to be a sacrifice for all of the sin of humanity.
I can see how this is hard for many to understand because we think of the here and now, we think of ourselves and nothing beyond it.
It's not about that it's about after we die, it's about eternal living in the presense of our Creator through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. That is how we have access to God and that is the Only way. (not my words, His)
aber61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 03:19 PM   #50
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,006
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by aber61 View Post
The same God that allowed His own Son to die for our sin. So as we can be with Him.
I don't think any of us could do that to our own child. Allow our only child to be a sacrifice for all of the sin of humanity.
I can see how this is hard for many to understand because we think of the here and now, we think of ourselves and nothing beyond it.
It's not about that it's about after we die, it's about eternal living in the presense of our Creator through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ. That is how we have access to God and that is the Only way. (not my words, His)
So which god is right? The OT god or the NT god?

Jesus wasn't really god's son.....I mean they are all the same thing right? And why the hell doesn't the holy spirit get more credit? He's definitely the red headed step child of the three.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:10 PM   #51
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,993
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj65 View Post
Atheist : was brought up baptist. But when I was old enough to decide for myself I left. IMO if their is some sort of "god" it is the cruelest meanest force on the planet. What type of god would let a man walk into a school and kill dozens of kids. Or take the only parent from a young child? Or cause major disasters that kill thousands of people? To that I say fukc your god.
So you blame every tragedy on a God you refuse to believe in?

Maybe God was there and protected the remaining survivors?

Sent from my phone using Swype keyboard skills.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2013, 08:13 PM   #52
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,993
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
So which god is right? The OT god or the NT god?

Jesus wasn't really god's son.....I mean they are all the same thing right? And why the hell doesn't the holy spirit get more credit? He's definitely the red headed step child of the three.
No difference from OT/Nt God.

Jesus was the son of God

Holy spirit defiantly does not get enough credit.
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 07:59 AM   #53
CHVYPWR
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F.
 
CHVYPWR's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Vicksburg, Mi.
Posts: 1,645
iTrader: (12)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Look at the avatar aber61 uses. The 2nd symbol in is me.
CHVYPWR is online now   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #54
Steve-in-Petoskey
Looking to ride
 
Steve-in-Petoskey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 03-28-07
Location: Petoskey area
Posts: 1,720
iTrader: (2)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Send a message via Skype™ to Steve-in-Petoskey
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
What does this mean, "still believe in God just in case." It seems as you've taken Pascal's wager and just decided to believe in god...just in case. The "just in case" is what troubles me about your response. How do you believe in something, "just in case".

To me, you're presented with something, an argument, a statement, whatever, and you examine evidence, external, internal (anecdotal experience) and you then make a determination on whether you believe it's true/correct/whatever.

How do you believe something, just in case? Do you actually believe it or are you trying to feign belief to satisfy others around you or some higher power that supposedly should be able to see through your feigning?

It seems like maybe, you hope that God or a god exists that grants everlasting life, which, sure, I feel the same way. If I could go on living forever with my wife, family, and friends, sure that would kick ass, but, do I actively believe that is true based on the evidence presented to me? No.
umm ya relax, lol, stop trying to find reason in my reasoning, you wont find any.
Steve-in-Petoskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:07 AM   #55
mikesova
My 4x4 is a Subaru.
 
mikesova's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-05-05
Location: Gladwin, MI
Posts: 7,811
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Send a message via AIM to mikesova
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-in-Petoskey View Post
umm ya relax, lol, stop trying to find reason in my reasoning, you wont find any.
Don't worry, I'm not "worked up" about it. I just always wonder what people actually believe when they say things like "just in case" or "it's not going to hurt to believe". To me, when you say that, it just makes me wonder what they actually believe, when they claim belief "half-heartedly".
mikesova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 08:53 AM   #56
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,006
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
No difference from OT/Nt God.

Jesus was the son of God

Holy spirit defiantly does not get enough credit.
There isn't a difference? You sure about that? Maybe you should go read the bible again.
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 6th, 2013, 09:39 PM   #57
L4CX
Out for the Summer!
 
L4CX's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-16-07
Location: Hillsdale, MI
Posts: 4,993
iTrader: (5)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreaseMonkey View Post
There isn't a difference? You sure about that? Maybe you should go read the bible again.
I do read the Bible and I see a creator who constantly provides for his children who constantly turn away from him. Miracles or not.

I think if you were to understand the bigger picture to the Bible you may understand God has never changed. Just our perception of him. Don't take my word for it though. Take Itt from any biblical scholar. Lull
L4CX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:06 AM   #58
GreaseMonkey
Senior Member
 
GreaseMonkey's Avatar
 
Join Date: 11-04-05
Location: Madison Heights, MI
Posts: 18,006
iTrader: (22)
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by L4CX View Post
I do read the Bible and I see a creator who constantly provides for his children who constantly turn away from him. Miracles or not.

I think if you were to understand the bigger picture to the Bible you may understand God has never changed. Just our perception of him. Don't take my word for it though. Take Itt from any biblical scholar. Lull


Need to read the old testament again man. Mainly the parts about God testing someone by attempting to kill his own child, wipe out cities, etc.

Here, here are quite a few excerpts for you to get caught up on.

http://www.creationtheory.org/BibleS...Violence.xhtml
GreaseMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 08:12 AM   #59
FORD FLARESIDE
Ohh, that's gonna' hurt
 
FORD FLARESIDE's Avatar
 
Join Date: 04-09-06
Location: Comstock Park
Posts: 21,903
iTrader: (24)
Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikesova View Post
Don't worry, I'm not "worked up" about it. I just always wonder what people actually believe when they say things like "just in case" or "it's not going to hurt to believe". To me, when you say that, it just makes me wonder what they actually believe, when they claim belief "half-heartedly".
I actually have to agree with you on this Mike.
FORD FLARESIDE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2013, 11:41 AM   #60
mojave01x2
Senior Member
 
mojave01x2's Avatar
 
Join Date: 02-01-08
Location: Hell Michigan
Posts: 1,027
iTrader: (1)
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Default

Christianity was created by the monarchs to control the populaton using fear of hell, its as fake as the harry potter books. Religion did however build a stronger society and with the weakening of religon we can all see the eroding of civiliy. That being said I dont believe, because I can live morally without religion, but wish more people would believe so they would live a more productive lifes.

P.S. Religion is a great tool used to beat addictions, because it can also become and addiction to a weak mind.
mojave01x2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Great Lakes 4x4. The largest offroad forum in the Midwest > General 4x4 Stuff > Politics, Government, or Religion Chat

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:54 PM.


Powered by: vBulletin, Copyright 2000 - 2012, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging (Lite) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2014 DragonByte Technologies Ltd. Runs best on HiVelocity Hosting.
Page generated in 0.37950 seconds with 81 queries